Forums » Crafting and Gathering

What I desperately want in this game

• 201 posts
    October 19, 2015 9:46 AM PDT

Besides seeing it made and fulfilling its promises...

Make me a modern EQ basically with VG crafting (with some SWG/EQ2 elements) and I am SOLD forever.  Crafting is a MAJOR aspect for me and a critical one.  I really hope a good and developed system is available at launch, because for me at least, many of things and aspects I want, require a good system that is there to start.  You cannot really add item scarcity and rarity of gear, etc after the fact into the world and economy if you start without a decent crafting system.

I so badly want a game with a crafting system like VG that:

-had a game world where gear is very very rare from drops or quests, so even basic crafted gear is sought after and viable to sell (no brand new suit of gear from each quest, drops etc).  Found or quested gear should be the major exception, not the rule

-factions exist with special unique recipes and stats and effects that require rep with different factions to learn

-rare and unique recipes that have to be found/quested

-crafting gear and slots just like adventuring

-crafting stats, levels and skills

-unique add ons like dusts for special abilities, procs, etc for more customized gear

-top level crafting requires a great deal of time invested, NOT just "click, watch the little blue bar fill, click again, etc etc until Skill 300, with a guild supplying me I am max crafting in 3 hours". I want exp and crafting levels, etc and things for exp/money like VG crafting orders, etc.  Just like adventuring, I want top level crafting to be IMPOSSIBLE to reach in a week or a month even with 24 hour a day play.  People who want to be max everything in a day invariably LEAVE the game anyway after 1 month because they are bored.  I want to enjoy being "armorer level 23" as an important, profitable and enjoyable stage, not a waystation to "armorer skill 300, now let me find the 1 valuable item to make that it useful instead of quested item X or dropped Y"

-integration with adventuring for the most unique and great recipes, gear, etc but not requiring adventuring for levelling and making most very good things

-harvesting that has actual skills and gear and stats, not just "harvesting 300" and rare/ultra rare materials, plus dropped and deconstructed items to keep supply of items down

-actual crafting quests for unique recipes, skills, tools, extra materials

-crafter interdependency...no "I can make everything for higher level recipes on my own...I don't need anyone".  I like having to have relationships with leatherworkers for making my plate armor, etc.

You make me a game with the above crafting system, and basically a modern and improved EQ1 style game with:

- required cooperation, more than "form the dungeon group, don't talk, finish it and split up"

- no damn easy mode ADHD, "I am level 50 in 3 days, now I am bored and I am leaving the game" BS

- without the "un-fun" parts of the original EQ

- with long, fun experience curves (took me 3 years from 1998 to hit level 50 as a half elf paladin in EQ1...doesn't have to take THAT long)

- rare special item drops/camps,

- a real death penalty that does not make you want to quit the game (losing 8 hours of exp from one death), but makes you FEAR the unknown and gives you mild/moderate anxiety over dying

- meaningful travel (I remember sitting on the boat from Freeport so fondly), but with alternatives eventually as you get stronger for avoiding it when its a hassle

These are my desires...fulfill them!

This post was edited by antonius at October 19, 2015 9:56 AM PDT
    • 211 posts
    October 21, 2015 10:42 PM PDT

If we could still "like" posts on here, I would have liked your post.

This post was edited by AgentGenX at October 21, 2015 10:42 PM PDT
    • 72 posts
    October 22, 2015 6:42 AM PDT

antonius said: 

Make me a modern EQ basically with VG crafting (with some SWG/EQ2 elements) and I am SOLD forever.  

I couldn't agree with this statement more. Vanguard crafting has been, in my opinion, hands down the BEST crafting system I have ever seen in any MMORPG.

This post was edited by Furor at October 22, 2015 6:42 AM PDT
    • 201 posts
    October 23, 2015 8:07 AM PDT

Well, I am please to see at least a couple of sentiments supporting my view. :)

• 999 posts
    October 23, 2015 3:43 PM PDT

antonius said:

- with long, fun experience curves (took me 3 years from 1998 to hit level 50 as a half elf paladin in EQ1...doesn't have to take THAT long)

- a real death penalty that does not make you want to quit the game (losing 8 hours of exp from one death), but makes you FEAR the unknown and gives you mild/moderate anxiety over dying

I agree with the majority of your post as well, but I did have a few thoughts/differences of opinion:

1. I'd be curious to see what you considered the "un-fun" parts of EQ.

2.  Slow exp progression was one of the best parts of EQ for me.  If the progression was even slower and all levels were "hell levels" I would have been ok with it.  Looking back, I enjoyed the journey from 1-50 more than any other time.  (50-60 was a close second).

3.  We disagree here, I prefer a punishing-EQsque death penalty (or worse).  Again, see point #2. 

• 201 posts
    October 27, 2015 8:09 AM PDT

Raidan said:

antonius said:

I agree with the majority of your post as well, but I did have a few thoughts/differences of opinion:

1. I'd be curious to see what you considered the "un-fun" parts of EQ.

2.  Slow exp progression was one of the best parts of EQ for me.  If the progression was even slower and all levels were "hell levels" I would have been ok with it.  Looking back, I enjoyed the journey from 1-50 more than any other time.  (50-60 was a close second).

3.  We disagree here, I prefer a punishing-EQsque death penalty (or worse).  Again, see point #2. 

Well, what I found unfun were things like...the sometimes overly oppressive death penalty, the potential to lose key items to try and figure out finishing a quest by turning them in randomly, the uneven hell level experience curve.  I know there were other things but its been sooo long. 

Don't get me wrong...I want a LONG experience curve, I want a stiff death penalty.  I just want a little moderation.  I don't want random levels taking 3 times longer.  That just breeds frustration...just make the curve slope steadily.  I am fine with the levels taking a long time, but 45 should not take 3 times longer than 44, which was like 20% longer than 43.  Also, I want to suffer from death...I want death to be FEARED, I want you to be nervous exploring...what I DON'T want, is to quit the game because a run of bad luck cost me 3 days of playing in 2 hours.  I want SOME cap on that, because honestly, that is NOT fun.  I also found EQ1 crafting boring, and crafting is a major part of the game for me, so as I said, I am DYING for a crafting/gear/economy system like I listed above.  Worst case, copy VG crafting straight over and I will be happy, but I really want a few tweaks as well.

Basically, I want a few of the more basic modern innovations brought to the EQ world, without garbage like mass transit hub zones, instant group forming, dungeon finders, ! or ? quest givers, free gear raining down from everywhere etc.