Forums » The Dwarves

City Scale

• 239 posts
    February 19, 2015 12:46 PM PST

How small should dwarves (and other “short” races) doors and rooms be. I think it would be very immersive if a normal dwarven door would be dwarven size. This would mean taller races would have to physically duck to get through them. You could go as far as to make it impossible for bigger races to walk around a dwarven city without some sort of magical shrink.

To build on this further I could see maybe a faction related quest that once you had high enough an npc outside town could cast a short term (~30 Min) shrink on you if you are an ally or have a quest for a clicky that only works in a dwarven city zone that shrinks you moderately.

This would be the same for halflings and Gnomes.

• 116 posts
    February 19, 2015 2:01 PM PST

This will really come down to architecture of the given race. Not all doorways will be just shy of the given races head; this may be the case more or less with a basic Gnome or Halfling home. I always loved this mechanic from EverQuest, and the more general idea of emergent content being produced like that. Where the players rely on one another not only for progressing in combat, but for general mobility and exploration. I will say that I definitely wouldn't force it- In the sense that I would purposely make the architecture shorter to make way for this, I would also not purposely build a "small" races architecture large for the sake of the larger races. It all comes down to the lore, how the Race builds, what type of structure it is, etc. 

• 239 posts
    February 19, 2015 2:44 PM PST

I understand the whole don’t go out of your way to make things unnatural. Main halls and city entry ways could be grand in size with commerce and trade factored into the building of areas. But the house that a dwarf personally lives in would probably not have a door made for a human to walk in.

Guess it comes down to “when it make sense”.

• 116 posts
    February 19, 2015 2:48 PM PST

Exactly!

This post was edited by Montreseur at February 20, 2015 10:59 PM PST
    • 164 posts
    February 19, 2015 2:55 PM PST

I did like this in EQ , it was especially prevalent with the Halfling huts out in Misty Thicket.

It would make sense that certain doorways be large enough for other races. Things like city entrances (as previously mentioned) , town halls, and the trade shops (vendors). Though I do agree that your average run of the mill house would have a door sized to the race it was built for. I would also say this can go further and tie into faction such that these main doors in say a Dwarven city would be sized to allow Humans and Elves comfortably through, but would not be big enough for races they would be KoS to such as Ogres or Trolls.

And the largest races, obviously anyone would be able to fit through their doors. And while this makes sense logically, it does give something for those that want to cry about balance to complain about.

This post was edited by Nailuj at February 20, 2015 5:29 AM PST
    • 66 posts
    February 19, 2015 5:11 PM PST

I think the Dwarves in Khazad-dûm (Moria) did a great job and had a lot of headroom.

• 831 posts
    February 20, 2015 5:29 AM PST

I do think there needs to be a lore tie to such things for sure.  Look at dwarves in LotR for example.  The lore there has everything in their cities being fairly massive... including doors.  Perhaps their way of compensating or whatever.

But you could just as easily have a large, feline race or whatever that gets down on all fours and goes through relatively small doors / passages into larger areas - with lore around then being a militant race and those entry ways being a defensive choke point mechanism or whatever.

• 409 posts
    March 19, 2015 6:51 PM PDT

Yea lol... I have died many times because my huge ass couldn't fit through the tunnel without ducking and just getting clobbered. This is awesome that this is going to make it in!

This post was edited by Niien at March 19, 2015 6:52 PM PDT
    • 86 posts
    October 3, 2015 11:43 AM PDT

I agree with it coming down to the specific races' style of building according to lore. For instance, I'm not familiar with the Dwarves of Oldassa specifically, but Dwarves in general seem to like to build grand underground cities with giant archways, giant doors, giant statues of ancestors and past kings etc. Now whether their individual shops and dwellings will be this grand, I guess we'll have to find out. :P I certainly hope they wouldn't accomodate an Ogre in a Dwarven city period!

• 134 posts
    December 22, 2015 7:59 PM PST

I liked this in EQ. It wasn't just "short" races either. I remember barbarians had trouble fitting through lots of places, including the bank door in Kelethin. I remember people begging for a shrink just to be able to do their shopping in banking lol.

This could even open up lore chapters where certain races build sections of their city "for them," like gnomes having a section with very tiny passages, or Myr having water tunnles and underwater city sections where "outsiders" shouldn't be.

• 149 posts
    January 19, 2016 9:20 AM PST

I hope they incorporate something that makes sense in this regard, and go beyond just doors.  A dwarf would have a heck of a task constantly dusting 10 foot tall ceilings.  It would make sense if they made everything to scale where they were able, in order to make their homes easier to maintain.

• 40 posts
    April 20, 2016 10:06 PM PDT

Public areas should be realy big, something like Moria in Lotro. Private areas should be small houses. I don't like to always use ladders or magic to reach the upper parts of my home.

• 7 posts
    May 4, 2016 12:13 PM PDT

I agree with other posters, I think scale should be based on practicality.  A trade area or reception area would be large enough to accomodate many races just for sheer trade value alone.  It would make sense royal areas would be bigger for entertaining dignitaries from other races.  I think areas reserved for dwarven eyes only though should be right sized.  Especially forges, homes and dwarf specific businesses.  Kaladim always felt about right for the most part in EQ1.  Not so much in EQ2 where I was left wondering how they were able to take care of most of the buildings.

• 8 posts
    June 23, 2016 3:13 PM PDT

Practicality indeed, however Dwarf Architecture usually is bigger than the race's needs as it symbolizes a dwarfs heart-big and strong

• 79 posts
    December 12, 2016 1:11 PM PST

I think the dwarf architecture follows a set of simple rules, everything that is part of the community area or kings castle is made as a statement of their prowess as a culture.  Thus objects, buildings, statues entrances, ect are all way out of proportion to demonstrate that.

When it comes to non-royalty housing its usually very modest and fit for functional only use.  Dwarves have a very high community/culture level that focuses on the group not the individual.  The reason the Royalty is as well out of proportion is they are an extension of the culture and community as the Face of the Nation.