Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Race+Class specific Mastery

• 12 posts
    April 28, 2023 7:22 AM PDT

During the most recent parting the veil I asked the question "Will different races of the same class have unique mastery?" Joppa responded "No plans for that at this point" (Thanks for the answering Joppa). I just wanted to share how I think this could work and benefit Pantheon.

Example Direlords

Halfling Direlord Mastery

Tier 1: gain 10% increased threat on Large or Giant sized targets.

Tier 2: receive 10% more self healing for 30 seconds after using a consumable.

Tier 3: can now equip daggers.

Ogre Direlord Mastery

Tier 1: gain 33% chance on critical weapon damage to generate 15 essence.

Tier 2: if Vital Cage absorbs a spell with a stun component that stun is reflected back at its caster.

Tier 3: if Blood Fiend is activated while below 10% health decrease the cooldown by 30 seconds.

These Masteries could cost more then the basic Mastery, 2/4/8 or even 3/6/12, instead of 1/2/4. They could potentially be unlocked at certain levels or require specific quests to obtain. I feel like this would make your race choice more impactful and special. I think it creates more identity in the world of Pantheon. Additionally I think this could work similarly for "Racial Active abilities" with class specific Mastery. So if every Gnome gets the same racial active ability their class specific mastery for that ability would be different. That way a Gnome Rogue and Gnome Enchanter start with the same racial active but by higher levels it is changed due to their classes.

What do you think?

• 520 posts
    April 28, 2023 9:33 AM PDT

If we are talking about different masteries for class-based skills (shared between all races playing that class) for different races then I'm against it.

However i'm all for masteries for (hopefully present) racial actives as well as ADDITIONAL abilities for specific race-class combo.

• 888 posts
    April 28, 2023 10:57 PM PDT

I like the idea of race-based differences to Mastery quite a bit, but only if it's mostly flavorful and isn't something powerful enough to become very important to min/maxing.  The Halfling Dire Lord getting 10% extra threat vs large/giant creatures is a good example of a good racial mastery variation. 

Other ideas I think would be fun:

1. Dark Myr getting bonuses (like cool down reduction or reduced resource cost) to certain mastery abilities while under water.
    2. Human Paladin has some bonuses that trigger when it's dark/night and they are carrying a visible light (this emphasizes the whole idea of the Paladin as a beakon of light)
    3. Elf Druids getting bonuses (like a reduced chance of interrupt) when using wooden weapons against unnatural enemies. 

Again, keep the bonuses limited in power and limited to when they can be used. 

• 12 posts
    April 30, 2023 11:06 AM PDT

Hegenox said:

If we are talking about different masteries for class-based skills (shared between all races playing that class) for different races then I'm against it.

To me I like the idea of different variations. Would a Dwarf Enchanter and a Dark Myr Enchanter have the exact same Mesmerize? I like to think not. Maybe the Dark Myr's takes 1 less mana per tick to maintain while underwater, while the Dwarfs could debuff the target to increase blunt damage for 60seconds while in a cold climate.

Counterfleche said:

I like the idea of race-based differences to Mastery quite a bit, but only if it's mostly flavorful and isn't something powerful enough to become very important to min/maxing. The Halfling Dire Lord getting 10% extra threat vs large/giant creatures is a good example of a good racial mastery variation.

Other ideas I think would be fun:

Dark Myr getting bonuses (like cool down reduction or reduced resource cost) to certain mastery abilities while under water.
    Human Paladin has some bonuses that trigger when it's dark/night and they are carrying a visible light (this emphasizes the whole idea of the Paladin as a beakon of light)
    Elf Druids getting bonuses (like a reduced chance of interrupt) when using wooden weapons against unnatural enemies.

Again, keep the bonuses limited in power and limited to when they can be used.

I agree with you about the power. The numbers I used were just a rough example and definitely could be adjusted. I also really like the ideas you shared.