Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Assets that have physical presence.

• 724 posts
    March 21, 2023 4:50 PM PDT

Are there any items that can be moved etc?   Like the rocks and felled trees in Zelda BOTW.  

I am totally not thinking of pushing a rock over a cliff and squishing some Scar below. 

• 146 posts
    March 21, 2023 5:51 PM PDT

This would be really cool. I can see people making their own pathways to dungeons by lining the way with medium stones. 

"How do you get to skar-killer prison?" "Oh, just follow the stones going west from the town!"

I wonder how far away we are from making this feasible in an MMO as opposed to a single player game. 

• 2050 posts
    March 21, 2023 7:14 PM PDT

As a future Skar Dire Lord, I'm feeling a bit oppressed here....

• 520 posts
    March 21, 2023 7:26 PM PDT

Jothany said:

Relax - there are no ambushes or layed out traps waiting for you on the road ahead WHATSOEVER!

• 372 posts
    March 21, 2023 9:31 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

Are there any items that can be moved etc?   Like the rocks and felled trees in Zelda BOTW.  

I am totally not thinking of pushing a rock over a cliff and squishing some Scar below. 

My brain went straight to roadrunner physics LOL Honestly I'd love moving objects like rocks and trees. Speaking of Zelda... it'd be cool to find hidden entrances behind rocks as well. 

This post was edited by Tigersin at March 21, 2023 9:31 PM PDT
    • 144 posts
    March 22, 2023 4:44 AM PDT

Tigersin said:

it'd be cool to find hidden entrances behind rocks as well. 

Yes.. and goblins that would hurry to close the whole afterwards... beacsue otherwise, in a persistent world you would basically do that once on day one or two of you MMO that lasts 30 years.

But I like the idea of rocks that you could gather and move around. Make it difficult (like a rock is heavy and you would walk very slowly with it)... but I am sure people would have very many maniac ideas with things like putting up rocks in the caves to close up pathways of ennemies, make funny road signs, labyrinths, ....

• 2050 posts
    March 22, 2023 5:11 PM PDT

Hegenox said:
    Jothany said: As a future Skar Dire Lord, I'm feeling a bit oppressed here....

Relax - there are no ambushes or layed out traps waiting for you on the road ahead WHATSOEVER!

Thanks! I feel so appreciated & accepted now.

I'm glad not everyone believes that old lore about us being emotionless, soulless predators of all that walk the land.

This post was edited by Jothany at March 22, 2023 5:21 PM PDT
    • 810 posts
    March 23, 2023 5:40 PM PDT
    Based on what we have seen, I highly doubt this.

My guess is the standard spawn and respawn system will be the most advanced interaction we may see. Place a torch on a pole, pick it back up, place it again 5 feet over.

Cool world interactions have all been class abilities. Warrior breaks down a wall for a shortcut. We may see some class moving rubble to find a tunnel but I have not seen it yet.
    • 3852 posts
    March 24, 2023 8:05 AM PDT

Most likely some of these things will be tied in to perception. Though not necessarily exclusively. A very perceptive or intelligent character may notice something odd about the rock blocking a passage - after which it will probably not require a class abilitiy to do something about it.

• 295 posts
    March 24, 2023 12:34 PM PDT

Jothany said:

I chuckled at the 'irony'. Like I have said in the past, I don't play 'evil' races, but I love that those races have dedicated fans and a a growing sub-community like you and others. It all adds to the immersion of the world. If I'm not mistaken, I remember you being one of the folks who are dedicated to forming 'adventuring parties' to explore Terminus. I wonder if we will even get to group since you're a dirty, rotten, diabolical, cannabalistic Skar Direlord(no disrespect intended...lol).

I don't know how it all will work yet, but I'm always thinking about the actual release date and us deciding what server all of us 'adventurers' will be on. 

Looking forward to it all.

• 2050 posts
    March 25, 2023 12:25 AM PDT

Dikenzu said: I chuckled at the 'irony'. Like I have said in the past, I don't play 'evil' races, but I love that those races have dedicated fans and a a growing sub-community like you and others. It all adds to the immersion of the world. If I'm not mistaken, I remember you being one of the folks who are dedicated to forming 'adventuring parties' to explore Terminus. I wonder if we will even get to group since you're a dirty, rotten, diabolical, cannabalistic Skar Direlord(no disrespect intended...lol).

I don't know how it all will work yet, but I'm always thinking about the actual release date and us deciding what server all of us 'adventurers' will be on. 

Looking forward to it all.

Exploration and Adventure ho!

As far as us playing together, we were told long ago that players can group with anyone they wish, of any faction. As far as interacting with NPCs to get specific quests, we've been told that there will be faction quests available for any race to slowly gain faction with 'hostile' races and towns. It won't be quick or easy, but it will be possible. I'll certainly need to do a fair bit of that, since Skar is potentially the most hostile race to many others AND Dire Lord is potentially the most hated Class on all continents. (Thieves -Rogues- aren't universally liked either)

To be honest, I'd be just as happy not playing an Icon of Evil. However D.L. is far more appealing to me than any of the other tanks. (I loved my Dread Knight in Vanguard). And from all I've learned about the strengths, weaknesses and innate bonuses of the various races, I concluded several years ago that Skar will be the best race to play a D.L. It's always possible that may change by release. And since a number of my friends are attracted to Role Playing, I figure I might as well dive in. If life hands you lemons, make lemonade :)

You may also remember that I'm an altaholic. My goal is to play one character from every race. Even if I miss that target by a couple of characters, I'll play classes on every continent. I don't forsee any obstacles to grouping with you or any of the other friends I've made.

Eagerly awaiting triumphs, tragedies and great adventures had by all.

• 724 posts
    March 25, 2023 8:54 AM PDT

Besides being a RP player that will talk smack about any of Jothany's alts to the other of Jothany's alts I still feel we should be able to roll a bolder down a hill.  But I also understand that it could be technically undoable. 

• 3852 posts
    March 25, 2023 12:07 PM PDT

If we can roll boulders that will damage or kill enemies (the OP's basic point) would players be subject to damage from the boulders as well? In a way this goes back to the topic of whether area effects like fireballs should hurt characters in the area of effect or just enemies. The former is far more realistic but opens up entirely undesirable opportunites for pvp on pve servers. Even more so than training.

• 724 posts
    March 25, 2023 12:30 PM PDT

Agreed. So let's consider mitigation for possible exploitation.  They can be slow and cumbersome to move.  They could be loud when moved across the land.  They could require large amounts of stamina to move. Risk vs rewards in all things.  It still would be fun to be able to roll some down the hill onto dimwit MOBs.  Or block a path temporarily to keep reinforcements from flanking.  What about a smaller rock I could tether myself to and push into a deep pond to reach the bottom fast?  Could solve that with a crafted pair of cement boots I guess.  Actually I really like the idea of cement boots now, let's have that too.  

• 888 posts
    March 29, 2023 8:29 PM PDT

Allowing characters to alter the game world can be immensely fulfilling but it's also logistically problematic and increases the potential for abuse. If we can move rocks, it won't be long before immaturity kicks in:

Day 1: fun with moving rocks.

Day 2: first crude image of male anatomy drawn with rocks

Day 3: first racial slur written with rocks.

Note that so long as inappropriate behavior can be properly audited and there are consequences, I think ideas like moving items can add to the game.

• 724 posts
    March 30, 2023 6:12 AM PDT

Counterfleche said:

Allowing characters to alter the game world can be immensely fulfilling but it's also logistically problematic and increases the potential for abuse. If we can move rocks, it won't be long before immaturity kicks in:

Day 1: fun with moving rocks.

Day 2: first crude image of male anatomy drawn with rocks

Day 3: first racial slur written with rocks.

Note that so long as inappropriate behavior can be properly audited and there are consequences, I think ideas like moving items can add to the game.

I find it wholesome that you think so highly of humans that you assume they wouldn't make a phallus on day 1. 

• 3852 posts
    March 30, 2023 8:38 AM PDT

I was going to discus the insane optimism of thinking the abuse wouldn't start until days 2 and 3 but StoneFish got here faster.

• 33 posts
    March 30, 2023 1:18 PM PDT

I think this is a bit ambitious.

• 2050 posts
    March 30, 2023 6:11 PM PDT

BOGUSBOOTY said: I think this is a bit ambitious.

StoneFish is an artist who dreams big, and lets the rest of us figure out if it can be accomplished.

:)