Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Casting or actions while falling.

• 724 posts
    March 21, 2023 7:08 AM PDT

Considering the Ranger ability: Beckon: Vale Hawks =Beckon a pair of Vale Hawks to carry you to a nearby location. Cannot be used in combat.

Does falling count as combat?  Or, can I cast or use abilities while I am falling?    If I was gliding from a high place and canceled or became unable to continue holding on could I Beckon Vale Hawks before hitting the ground and arrest my fall? 

This post was edited by StoneFish at March 21, 2023 7:08 AM PDT
    • 520 posts
    March 21, 2023 7:36 AM PDT

I would hope that as a wizard I'll be able to cast levitate when the floor under me suddenly collapses and I start falling into the abyss ...

• 2419 posts
    March 21, 2023 7:51 AM PDT

Typically, though, movements too far/too fast from your starting X,Y,Z position when attempting to cast causes an interrupt.  I'd suspect that you'll experience the same thing here otherwise it could be exploited.

• 724 posts
    March 21, 2023 8:01 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Typically, though, movements too far/too fast from your starting X,Y,Z position when attempting to cast causes an interrupt.  I'd suspect that you'll experience the same thing here otherwise it could be exploited.

This is indeed the logical thinking, but I'm selfishly contemplating my own predilection for poor judgement. 

• 146 posts
    March 21, 2023 10:57 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Unless falling was considered a state where casts/abilities are uninterruptable. Would mean you have to start the cast while in the air.

It'd be super cool to use the grappling hook to save yourself from a death fall. 

• 1279 posts
    March 21, 2023 12:21 PM PDT

I wouldn't mind if some instant cast spells were able to be used while falling

• 888 posts
    March 29, 2023 8:16 PM PDT

Free Fall Concentration would be a fun addition if we had to skill it up via practice to get good at it.  I hope the Shaman ability to teleport back to where they just were will work while falling.

• 810 posts
    March 30, 2023 2:40 AM PDT

I have always preferred the self snare casting speed in newer MMOs over the no move at all casting.  Cancel casting with Esc.  The snared walk while casting those 5 second abilities, to barely reposition or slide into a better position as the fight moves around a bit, ideally where positioning matters, spell deflects can be a nice idea to make casters also prefer hitting mobs in the back. 

Ideally falling is too much for any ability that is not an instant cast.  A few instant cast spells can be great additions to the game specifically for this sort of thing.  Limitations to circumstances are a good thing.  Jump peaking over a wall to shoot a quick spell at an enemy or jumping off a cliff and hitting an emergency heal to top up before the landing or a regen to hopefully save you if you drop at the bottom :D

I hope VR keeps any sort of life saving measure fully planned and not simply, you fell long enough to cast a teleport. 

• 793 posts
    March 30, 2023 4:51 AM PDT

just type in "/godmode on".  ;) 

• 724 posts
    March 31, 2023 7:35 AM PDT

Counterfleche said:

Free Fall Concentration would be a fun addition if we had to skill it up via practice to get good at it.  I hope the Shaman ability to teleport back to where they just were will work while falling.

Oh!  That is a great idea, applied to the Shaman too.  They have to level up the skill of teleports.  An inexperienced Shaman would be able to teleport but you may not be exactly where you want to be . Maybe your a few hundred meters away from the target and are now 20 feet underwater in the Well Pond, or on top of a tower in Kingsreach?  

• 888 posts
    April 2, 2023 3:41 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

Counterfleche said:

Oh!  That is a great idea, applied to the Shaman too.  They have to level up the skill of teleports.  An inexperienced Shaman would be able to teleport but you may not be exactly where you want to be . Maybe your a few hundred meters away from the target and are now 20 feet underwater in the Well Pond, or on top of a tower in Kingsreach?  

A single-use scroll that opens a one way portal to somewhere random. In the would would be a fun magic item.