Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Minor Concern about Top Tier "Influencers"

• 6 posts
    March 10, 2023 8:17 PM PST

If anybody hasn't seen, a pretty famous Twitch/YouTube streamer by the name of Asmongold, released a short video detailing his dislike for the game. While that in particular is irrelevant to me, I do worry about his follow up statements of streaming this game on release. I play WoW, and I saw first hand his and his followers descent on WoW Classic RP servers and the dysfunctionalism it brought with it. Similarly his FFXIV fiasco was server shuttering as well.

What I'm really getting at here is will VR take steps in order to curb behavior some large scale streamers encourage or negative behavior that gravitates towards them, or protect servers from being immediately crippled by monsterous demand?

• 947 posts
    March 10, 2023 10:22 PM PST

I absolutely hear and validate your concern.  I've had similar concerns about once the game goes live, but more in regard to influencers manipulating viewers that haven't yet given the game a chance.  A vast majority of consumers today look to influencers (or reviews) and video examples to make critical judgements about a product in the first few seconds of seeing it.

The fortunate flip side of this is that there are numerous positive influencers as well.  Its really easy to rip on a game like WoW because it has been around for nearly 20 years.  PRotF isn't even near completion yet; and honestly, that is the only thing that you could actually hold against the development (while simultaneously arguing that the slow development is due to the desire to create a game that can withstand criticism from naysayers).

• 372 posts
    March 11, 2023 4:48 AM PST

Sorcath said:

If anybody hasn't seen, a pretty famous Twitch/YouTube streamer by the name of Asmongold, released a short video detailing his dislike for the game. While that in particular is irrelevant to me, I do worry about his follow up statements of streaming this game on release. I play WoW, and I saw first hand his and his followers descent on WoW Classic RP servers and the dysfunctionalism it brought with it. Similarly his FFXIV fiasco was server shuttering as well.

What I'm really getting at here is will VR take steps in order to curb behavior some large scale streamers encourage or negative behavior that gravitates towards them, or protect servers from being immediately crippled by monsterous demand?

Is your idea that VR could proactively reach out to streamers asking them not to share what server they're playing on? What do you think they can do? I can't think of much.

This post was edited by Tigersin at March 11, 2023 4:48 AM PST
    • 102 posts
    March 11, 2023 7:18 AM PST

I'm only a monkey with a keyboard but the simpilest solution i could think of is make use of the report system. The system would likely be effective enough to flag a lot of activity/reports coming from a certain server(s) and certain zones/areas if its relevant, and keep the ol' ban hammer at the ready. It would be work intensive for sure, but hopefully only fleeting. I don't get it, it seems so stupid to me to spend $50-$60 (really more with first monthly sub), just to grief and harass people who are simply trying to enjoy something.

• 326 posts
    March 11, 2023 9:29 AM PST

Just post a warning about joining that server and if people want to dance with the devil that's on their head.

• 70 posts
    March 11, 2023 9:44 AM PST

I agree with you Sorcath, It definatly has the potential to hamper a game with negative reviews.  Personally I dislike that streamer and dont watch any of his stuff, but I do believe that VR is doing a very great thing in letting people stream the game. like cohh and P+ and even non influencers,  what i also think is great is that they are doing the giveaway for PA.  All of these things i believe will put a possitive vibe out to people who have never heard of the game and are curious.  

• 6 posts
    March 13, 2023 11:34 PM PDT

Rhelic said:

I agree with you Sorcath, It definatly has the potential to hamper a game with negative reviews.  Personally I dislike that streamer and dont watch any of his stuff, but I do believe that VR is doing a very great thing in letting people stream the game. like cohh and P+ and even non influencers,  what i also think is great is that they are doing the giveaway for PA.  All of these things i believe will put a possitive vibe out to people who have never heard of the game and are curious.  

Definitely. I just don't think most, if even the game developers, know how extremely bad these individuals were and how it most literally shut down servers. While positive influencers certainly will draw attention, and even toxic ones, most will never reach the equivilant Asmongold caters towards. Other users can be condescending towards me, but really its just blissful ignorance speaking on their behalf; and good for them for not having experienced this type of problem. But on the other hand, I would rather rest assured that there is a contengency plan in place when it inevitably will happen(because he's said he's coming here regardless of his feelings for the game, and so far this has happened in every MMO he's participated in) than to not have access to my game for weeks becuase "So what?". 

• 6 posts
    March 13, 2023 11:42 PM PDT

Thunderleg said:

Just post a warning about joining that server and if people want to dance with the devil that's on their head.

The servers he joined were already established Role Playing and regular servers. Is VR going to offer realm transfers? Why should players be punished for the poor behavior or others is my entire point.

• 3852 posts
    March 14, 2023 7:14 AM PDT

I understand the concern and share it - but I have never had experiences such as this myself either positive or negative. Thank the Gods.

Does this type of problem arise when some popular "influencer" says that he or she will be in a particular game at a particular time and hundreds or thousands (shudders visibly) of the associated lemmings join as well? Just to be there when the influencer is. Or do the lemmings typically sign up for the game and become real players so that they can be around when the influencer is and join in even when he or she does higher level content?

If the latter - I note that the problem will surely be less if people cannot do that in Pantheon without buying the game and/or subscribing (depending on the final business model). If there is no free play at all they will have to pay for their kicks. And if they become real players paying real subscriptions isn't the worst that is likely to happen a log-in queue occasionally? 

But this ties us in to the question of free trials. If there is a real risk of hordes of free trials just to follow one influencer - and if this will have severely negative consequences for real players - can and should this be ameliorated by free trial limitations (separate server for example)? Keep in mind that unless it trashes the game a lot of free trials is a good thing not a bad thing for the game. Some of the people will like it and stay.

• 70 posts
    March 14, 2023 8:16 AM PDT

Sorcath said:

Thunderleg said:

The servers he joined were already established Role Playing and regular servers. Is VR going to offer realm transfers? Why should players be punished for the poor behavior or others is my entire point.

I agree and i hope VR will have a server transfer option, but on the other hand, with this game being as comunity based as it is intended on being, I think someone like asmondgold would have a difficult time playing this game because the comunity itself would reject him and he would have a difficult time playing/grouping.  However that would  just cause more backlash from him towards this game and would just be a never ending cycle (IMO)  havent played eq1 in years but it was allot like that, you piss enough people off and you are basicially forced to change servers or change your attitude.  I will say he most likely has enough followers to where he may not need the comunity and just group with friends/followers but who knows. personally he's a good gamer i just dont like his overall "im better than you" attitude (im hoping its more of just an act for followers and that he really isnt like that off camera)  Im willing to give anyone a chance, just dont care much for his video's.

ps... I really truely hope VR will implement a /ignore feature (and i dont think they intend to but if there's a VC option have a personal mute where you can mute someone in group for yourself but not everyone else)

This post was edited by Rhelic at March 14, 2023 8:19 AM PDT
    • 372 posts
    March 14, 2023 8:33 AM PDT

Streamers will do as they like. VR will have a code of conduct and the streamers (like every other gamer) will be expected to abide by it. Picking an arbitrary server cap of say 1,000: if someone popular joins a server that has 700 players and they bring 300 audience members to cap the server... there's nothing to do about it.  

I think server transfers are a great idea (as long as I don't think of new world lol)

These are all good ideas above. There's nothing really for VR to do except give us options and let us do something.  

This post was edited by Tigersin at March 14, 2023 8:34 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    March 14, 2023 8:35 AM PDT

Sorcath said:

Are you suggesting that VR would have any tools by which they could stop someone from streaming the game (and providing opinions of the game) after release? If VR were to just outright ban someone because VR didn't like their opinion of the game that would set a really bad precedent and, honestly, would give the influencer an even better reason to dump on the game and VR as a whole.  Sorry, but players have the freedom to post their opinions, good or bad, about the game in whatever format they desire. VR really can do nothing about it.

• 78 posts
    March 14, 2023 1:30 PM PDT

I am nothing if not giving, in order to offset any streamers with negative reviews, I will selflessly stream the game.  Keep in mind I currently am not a streamer and have no online following.  This can go to VR for the mear cost of supplying me with the equipment needed for streaming, and a pc that can run the game on max settings (you want your game to look good).