Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

lazy assist/target of target

• 70 posts
    March 4, 2023 7:23 PM PST

will there be a lazy assist aka target of target? or do you have to make a /assist macro (if available) basically if im a shaman, can i target the tank and heal them, but also cast a slow and hit the mob. or do i have to /assist to target the mob. (or click) then switch back to the tank... 

• 2419 posts
    March 4, 2023 9:23 PM PST

If you have watched the streams, you'll notice that there is an Offensive Target and a Defensive Target. So you can have your tank targeted and the mob targed simultaneously.  Your offensive spells will go to the target and your heals will go to the tank.  I haven't seen anybody on the streams make macros but I'd suspect that such things will be possible.

• 2051 posts
    March 5, 2023 5:20 PM PST

VR has also stated that there will be an "assist" key to select the target of your defensive target. We just haven't seen it in streams because they just haven't gotten around to implementing it yet.

• 947 posts
    March 6, 2023 12:39 PM PST

To Rhelic's point though (although Vandraad and Jothany are 100% accurate), neither of those are "target of target".  Assisting and Offensive/Defensive targeting doesn't show target of target, which is most useful for macros or knowing when your target changes targets (i.e. a good DPS would have the tank as their defensive target only to monitor which target the tank is targeting instead of 'assisting' the tank only to have the tank change targets after they assist.   Another good example is for tanks to have a healer as their def target to determine if the healer is noticing that someone else that is getting beat down needs a heal instead of the tank...)  There are a ton of usecases where target of target is VERY useful in being able to "see" where other players have their focus to help you make tactical decisions.... but the MOST useful is being able to see who an NPC is actually targeting (especially for a caster NPC charging up a big nuke) without having to /assist the NPC (which is absolutely awful having to do that to "see" who an NPC is "looking" at... and having to read text to make that determination is immersion-breaking too).

Add:  Rhelic refers to it as "lazy", but I refer to it as immersive.  IRL, you can visibily see who a person is hitting with a sword without having to ask them, in a video game, there can be 20 people standing on top of each other but somehow only 1 person manages gets hit...

This post was edited by Darch at March 6, 2023 12:58 PM PST
    • 146 posts
    March 6, 2023 9:13 PM PST

I would prefer to see the target of target for both my defensive and offensive target. However, what's more important to me than seeing it is having a button to switch to those targets. Something like 'G' makes your defensive target's target your new offensive one. Meanwhile, 'Shift+G' will make your offensive target's target your new defensive target. 

• 2051 posts
    March 6, 2023 9:56 PM PST

Feastycentral said:

I would prefer to see the target of target for both my defensive and offensive target. ... Something like 'G' makes your defensive target's target your new offensive one. Meanwhile, 'Shift+G' will make your offensive target's target your new defensive target.

This is what I was thinking. We have an 'Assist' for our defensive target. It is very helpful for DPS classes. An 'Assist' based on our offensive target would be more helpful for healers and tanks.

Perhaps it would be too useful. Perhaps not.

I'm sure there will be opinions :)

This post was edited by Jothany at March 6, 2023 9:57 PM PST
    • 1284 posts
    March 7, 2023 8:50 AM PST

..which is absolutely awful having to do that to "see" who an NPC is "looking" at...

You've forgotten about the oldest trick in the book!  It'll fool you every time.  The "No Look Fireball!"    

(I crack myself up)

This post was edited by Ranarius at March 7, 2023 8:50 AM PST
    • 146 posts
    March 7, 2023 9:12 AM PST

Ranarius said:

You've forgotten about the oldest trick in the book!  It'll fool you every time.  The "No Look Fireball!"    

I'm already picturing crawling away from the group as a healer while the mage cackles, taking down friendly and enemy alike.