Forums » Pantheon Classes

Mystic Class | Post Launch Class Suggestion

• 6 posts
    December 13, 2022 9:52 PM PST

Let me begin by saying, I understand that right now class additions are not the priority. However, I feel that I had a neat Idea that I would share with you all! That way it can be seen by developers, discussed, and hopefully taken into consideration should new classes be an option post-launch.

Mystic Class Synopsis: 

A full support class that passively buffs allies or actively debuffs enemies.

Class Description:

The Mystic is a warrior sorcerer who has dedicated his life to the mastery of the arcane and channeling it to empower himself and those around him. A mystic channels their power through what is known as a "focus gem". This focus gem is imbued with a supportive spell of the mystic's choice and is then projected onto themselves and their allies. Their sword can inversely be imbued with powerful debuff enchantments, allowing players to debuff enemies instead. When imbued with a spell, the focus gem hovers over the mystic's shoulder so as to fully project outward. Different buffs can help different group variations, such as Magical buffs for spellcasters or martial buffs for warriors. At max level, a mystic could theoretically have 3 focus gems, each with their perspective buffs. 

Tattoos cover the mystic's body, glowing brightly in tones of phosphorescent blue. These tattoos indicate their position as a mystic and grant passive bonuses to them, similar to the enchanter's "Runeskin" ability, this could include damage absorption, stronger focus gem enchantments, or other bonuses. Beware though, these tattoos grant power, but channeling them too often can make a mystic more susceptible to harm.

Wielding only a blade, they are capable of a potent melee defense. Many of their combat spells will focus on buffing their focus gem enchantments, while their combat skills will focus on blade imbuement and defensive "riposte" attacks to fend off foes for a time. 

Group Role: Support

Combat Resource: Mana, Endurance

Available Armor: Cloth

Available Weapons: Sword

Examples of active skills/spells could include:

• Silver-Fire (Combat Skill - Weapon Imbuement)
      • -Black and white flames wrap around your weapon, imbuing it with raw magic damage that curses enemies struck by lowering their armor values by 3% for 6 seconds (15-second cooldown)
        • -Lasts indefinitely unless replaced with different weapon imbuement, only applies on melee attack or defensive riposte
        • -Increases by .1% every 2 levels to a total of 15%
    • Arcane Funnel (Combat Spell - Focus Gem Empowerment)
      • -Quickly channel the magic of your arcane tattoos into your focus gems, sacrificing 25% of your max HP and boosting your focus gem enchantments by 50% for 12 seconds (25-second cooldown)
        • -Increases active time by 1 second every 3 levels up to a total of 20 seconds
        • -Increases enchantment power by 2% every 2 levels up to a total of 70%
        • -Health drain also increases by 1% every 2 levels up to a total of 45% of max hp drained, to account for the power boost.
    • Liquid Arcana (Combat Spell - Focus Gem Empowerment)
      • -Overcharge your focus gems with pure arcane energy from your tattoos, granting your allies 10% damage reduction from all sources for 20 seconds (1.5-minute cooldown)
        • -Reduces mystic armor by 5% for the duration of the ability cooldown, increasing by 1% every ten levels to a total of 10% armor reduction
        • -Increases damage reduction for allies by 1% every 10 levels up to 15%
        • -For every focus gem the mystic has, increase allied damage reduction by an additional 1% (Can get a total of 18% damage reduction with 3 focus gems)
        • -For every focus gem the mystic has, further reduce mystic armor penalty by an additional 1% (Total of 13% armor reduction)
    • Battle Instinct (Combat Skill - Defensive Melee Riposte)
      • -Hone your senses, providing a defensive buff that allows you to block all incoming melee damage with your sword for 6 seconds (1-minute cooldown)
    • Kneel before me (Combat Skill - Defensive Melee Riposte)
      • -Grant yourself combat premonition, giving you a 25% increased chance to block the next incoming melee attack. If successfully blocked, you deal a small amount of damage as well as slice the tendons on the legs of an enemy, decreasing their movement speed by 50% for 10 seconds (20-second cooldown)

Examples of Tattoo buffs could include:

• Tattoos of Abjuration
      • -Provides mystic with a permanent 3% bonus to armor, increasing by .1% per 2 levels up to a total of 8%
    • Tattoos of Divination
      • -Magical items equipped by the mystic have their perspective boons increased by 2%, increasing by .5% per 5 levels up to a total of 8%, if applicable.
      • -Also allows Mystics the ability to summon portal gateways, similar to that of a wizard.
    • Tattoos of War
      • -Allows the mystic to gain points of Mana per 5 points of intelligence (Stacks with gnome racial feature)

Examples of Focus Gem Enchantments could include: **Keep in mind, these buffs would be much less powerful than active spells/skill effects in their base form, as they would behave passively.**

• Focus of Intellect
      • -Grants allies increased mana 
        • -Mana increase is based on the focus gem level
    • Focus of Prowess
      • -Grants allies increased melee attack speed
        • -The speed increase is based on the focus gem level
    • Focus of Rejuvenation
      • -Grants allies the ability to leech life and mana through attacks. 
        • -Melee/ranged attacks leech life, and magical attacks leech mana.
        • -Values are increased based on the focus gem level
    • Focus of Alacrity
      • -Grant allies increased spell haste
        • -A vastly less powerful version of "illusion graft: rapid mind" in enchanter skills at base value (can become more powerful than rapid mind with the use of "Arcane Funnel" For a short time)
        • -Spell haste is based on the focus gem level

Now again, I understand that new classes are not the priority in the pre-alpha testing, as other things are being worked on. But I believe this could be a unique, and thoughtful addition to the class roster.

Most of these skill values, spell effects, etc. are theoretical and I would not expect them to be applied as-is, should any of this be applied to the game at all. I would ask that any comments stay constructive and productive! Let's keep the creative juices flowing for our team!!

This post was edited by KhyraenIllykur at December 14, 2022 2:27 PM PST
    • 48 posts
    December 14, 2022 3:34 AM PST

This seems like it could be a fun class to play, albeit, a bit over tuned. Sure its a work of concept. To balance some of the power I see here, I would make the gem buffs to very short range forcing the player to have to choose whether to buff ranged allies on the outskirts of battle or remain in melee to buff/debuff those in direct combat. Very dangerous for a cloth wearer. Being a warrior sorcerer having other spells being short range or even touch would give you some additional choices of where to stand. Adding to this, the possiblity of becoming a quasi spellblade seems cool. imbuing your sword or other bladed weapon with special properties could be fun.

• 724 posts
    December 14, 2022 6:59 AM PST

Variation, customized character design and layout is always a popular topic.  The connection the players will develop with their builds and avatars is bound to be a core component of what this game will offer. I like these ideas, and I too hope the characters will be highly customizable, from what I have seen and read so far they will be.  That type of proposed playable class is kind of achievable if you allow that the classes can "flex" into other roles.  The example (design) you provided is fun and fills a position, it feels to me, between wizard and druid.  I absolutely love to support my teammates, I find it so enjoyable to buff others and will be sure to spend time in the world bugging strangers with speed or defensive gifts, plus I love to cook in game and IRL.  That build is fun and I hope post launch they add other classes that are not 'normal' or commonly found in other games.  A Mystic that primarily buffs and is overly altruistic, with an occasional slap-and-tickle melee defense, would be so much fun.   

• 6 posts
    December 14, 2022 8:23 AM PST

After some revision and discussion, the following changes have been made to the original post to give the conceptual class a clearer identity:

There is now some clarification on the use of swords in the class concept. To clarify, swords in this class are specifically to be used for melee defense, focusing on riposting and retaliation rather than uncontrolled offense. This is to keep in line with class flavour.

- Focus gems would no longer be able to give debuffs, rather their swords can be imbued with energy, allowing them to debuff on melee attacks, giving them more purpose.

- Added clarification under the Spell/Skill section to determine what would qualify as a combat skill versus a class spell effect

- Changed features and values of "Silver Fire" and "Arcane Funnel", while also adding details to "Battle Instinct"

- Changed values for "Tattoo of Divination" so as to make it less powerful in it's conceptual form (Easier to visualize this way), also added the ability to teleport.

- Added "Kneel before me" combat skill, as an example of a potential riposte attack

-Added "Liquid Arcana" Combat spell, as another example of a potential class spell

- Removed "Focus of Disintegration", as it was a debuffer, and replaced with "Focus of Rejuvenation" as another example of a buffing enchantment for focus gems. 

- Removed Spell haste from "Focus of Intellect" and added effect to a new, separate enchantment "Focus of Alacrity"

If there is anything else people would like to add, reiterate, or otherwise needs clarification for, please comment!! Let's get the ball rollin'

This post was edited by KhyraenIllykur at December 14, 2022 2:22 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 529 posts
    December 14, 2022 8:34 AM PST

Great ideas!

• 26 posts
    December 15, 2022 7:34 AM PST

Just courious. Wouldn't or couldn't the perception system be used to cover many of these things?

• 6 posts
    December 15, 2022 1:07 PM PST

Inselberg said:

Just courious. Wouldn't or couldn't the perception system be used to cover many of these things?

...What? I suppose I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. This is a template for a potential playable class for post-launch.