Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Stirring up crafting debate

• 118 posts
    March 5, 2015 6:13 PM PST
    CanadinaXegony said:
    And...I am a hoarder extraordinaire...any guild that has me as a member usually ends up with their bank full of food, potions etc.  

Cana? a hoarder? Why am I not surprised =P

• 118 posts
    March 5, 2015 6:18 PM PST

I had a wonderful experience with tailoring in EQ1.  What I liked about it was the difficulty in obtaining materials.  It was a really long haul for me from 100 onward.  I was always so happy to get a needed material when it dropped.  If I had my way, the whole server would be running around with eight ten-slot backpacks in their bank.  And that just because I didn't want that extra HQ bear hide to go to waste.

• 133 posts
    March 30, 2015 1:08 PM PDT
    Aradune said:

Also we need to figure out how to balance crafted gear with the fact that most items will be tradable.

I was thinking about this, and there are a few ways to balance in crafting:

Unique effects:  Both looted and crafting have a shared set of effects and a set of unique effects.  This translates to a healthy differential system.

Crafted upgrades to looted items:  Have a craft skill tied to the specialization for crafters to be able to "slightly" improve looted items, we are not talken huge amounts, but maybe a few damage points added from normal to "sharpened" in the case of a sword.

Customization vs slight better stats: Mechanics of the creation would have to support this.  But lets say every weapon type will have a bonus to skill, either weapon type skill or attack skill or both.  But with looted its rather static.  However crafted items can be made with any skill the crafter so chooses as the bonuses, but they slightly less.  the balance being higher bonus vs customization.

So looted Tier 2 Longsword will always have +10 to Heavy Blade skill, +10 to Attack skill. (could of course be a few different types, idea is its static choices)

Crafted Tier 2 Longswords will have any two of any skills the crafter chooses so maybe +8 defense skill, +8 concentration.

So in the case above, a warrior may choose the looted one, but a Paladin may find the crafted one to his liking as he is oft in that defensive roll so a little extra defense and little bonus to casting while being hit are worth the trade off of a few less hits for damage.

Both are good, both are useful, one is crafted and the other is looted.

This post was edited by Exmortis at March 30, 2015 1:11 PM PDT
    • 308 posts
    March 30, 2015 2:51 PM PDT

In VG i loved crafted items. the reason i loved crafted stuff in VG was that i could make sure i got ONLY the stats i wanted on my items. Yeah i might lose a few overall stat points, but i am willing to lose on overall stats to make sure that all stats are useable by my class.

so i would say balance crafting like vg did. the final product has a few less stat points, but is totally customizable making what stats the item does have completely useable by the character.

• 133 posts
    March 31, 2015 12:52 PM PDT
    Gawd said:

In VG i loved crafted items. the reason i loved crafted stuff in VG was that i could make sure i got ONLY the stats i wanted on my items. Yeah i might lose a few overall stat points, but i am willing to lose on overall stats to make sure that all stats are useable by my class.

so i would say balance crafting like vg did. the final product has a few less stat points, but is totally customizable making what stats the item does have completely useable by the character.

Amen brother, you have no idea how hard it was to get this across to so many players in VG. Players who never crafted a minute, but though because they raided APW they knew more than us who did not.

I remember back to a day grouping with one of the knowitallraider Warriors explaining to us casual knownothings that Bloodmages crit heal sucked and was useless.  To which my bud (who was playing a bloodmage our only healer) answered, but thats all I use to heal your A$$, everything else I cast is a nuke.  Of course the knowitall stated that you can't crit that much, to which my bud responded, sure can with a full set of spell crit gear. Which of course the knowitall said there isn't spell crit on that many gear peices, to which I stated, sure is inspect him and see who made it for him, if your quick, and know as much as you think you do, you will know those are all my alts, I made him his entire se of Ultra-Rare gear, with spell crit on almost every peice.

Was hilarious, even if we had to spend some time LFGing for a new tank.

This post was edited by Exmortis at March 31, 2015 6:37 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    April 2, 2015 3:07 AM PDT
    Gawd said:

To me the hardest part about a crafting system for a game like Pantheon will be balancing the risk vs reward.  If crafted gear is to be relevant, obtaining the necessary materials must be as hard (risk) as it would be to obtain a comparable dropped item.

Once a way to accomplish that is created, you could really do whatever you want with crafting.  You could even have rare crafting components come from raid content;  Components that in turn create crafted gear that is just as powerful as items that are dropped.  If you had a chance to fail at crafting an item, that would warrant an even larger reward from crafted gear.  Maybe crafting could even be like DAoC where you can push the limits of your crafted items and gamble with your materials, (higher risk) and in turn make items even more powerful (higher reward) than those which are dropped.

Either way, as long as risk vs reward is balanced, crafting should at least serve as a way to fill in the gaps for particular sets of armor.  I could see casters wanting armor that raise a particular focus for certain builds, or a tank looking for a set that increases defense and received healing.  And of course, everyone will want to fill in the gaps in their resist gear for surviving the climate system in Pantheon, so that would be a great way to do it.

• 308 posts
    April 2, 2015 6:47 AM PDT

i like the idea that i can gain higher stats on craftede items if i am willing to risk a higher fail chance. that seems like a very good thing to add into the crafting system

• 9115 posts
    April 2, 2015 7:22 AM PDT
    Dullahan said:
    Gawd said:

To me the hardest part about a crafting system for a game like Pantheon will be balancing the risk vs reward.  If crafted gear is to be relevant, obtaining the necessary materials must be as hard (risk) as it would be to obtain a comparable dropped item.

Once a way to accomplish that is created, you could really do whatever you want with crafting.  You could even have rare crafting components come from raid content;  Components that in turn create crafted gear that is just as powerful as items that are dropped.  If you had a chance to fail at crafting an item, that would warrant an even larger reward from crafted gear.  Maybe crafting could even be like DAoC where you can push the limits of your crafted items and gamble with your materials, (higher risk) and in turn make items even more powerful (higher reward) than those which are dropped.

Either way, as long as risk vs reward is balanced, crafting should at least serve as a way to fill in the gaps for particular sets of armor.  I could see casters wanting armor that raise a particular focus for certain builds, or a tank looking for a set that increases defense and received healing.  And of course, everyone will want to fill in the gaps in their resist gear for surviving the climate system in Pantheon, so that would be a great way to do it.

I am very skeptical of Crafting RNG systems like that, you see it in a lot of Asian titles like Perfect World Games, the more risk the higher level of crafted item and it just seems gimmicky and too random, taking away from the actual skill and experience of Crafting in my opinion.

I would rather a system that encouraged me to try, that was challenging and had "Complications" that I could overcome if skilled enough, like the VG Crafting system and either complete the Crafting session and be satisfied with what I made or fail due to a complication and lose all of my materials and additives and receive nothing due to my lack of skill than lose to an RNG "potluck" system.

I am a huge fan of Crafting and really want to see challenge and accomplishment similar to the VG Crafting sphere, it feels like you are actually Crafting instead of playing a type of Lotto with materials with those RNG systems.

• 25 posts
    April 2, 2015 8:00 AM PDT

I'd like to see a system that pulls old items out of the world to help combat mudflation.

Allow crafters to break down items for a chance at crafting materials and or a system that allows you to turn Crafted Sword X into Crafted Sword Y. Chain the weapons together to feel like you've had it for a long time, attached to it. Spent the time to make it better. 

• 1434 posts
    April 2, 2015 1:53 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:

I am very skeptical of Crafting RNG systems like that, you see it in a lot of Asian titles like Perfect World Games, the more risk the higher level of crafted item and it just seems gimmicky and too random, taking away from the actual skill and experience of Crafting in my opinion.

I would rather a system that encouraged me to try, that was challenging and had "Complications" that I could overcome if skilled enough, like the VG Crafting system and either complete the Crafting session and be satisfied with what I made or fail due to a complication and lose all of my materials and additives and receive nothing due to my lack of skill than lose to an RNG "potluck" system.

I am a huge fan of Crafting and really want to see challenge and accomplishment similar to the VG Crafting sphere, it feels like you are actually Crafting instead of playing a type of Lotto with materials with those RNG systems.

I cant think of an Asian MMO that is comparable to what I'm suggesting.  I just got done with ArcheAge and crafting in there was a total RNG nightmare solely to encourage people to buy stuff from the marketplace to allow them to craft longer and to increase horrible odds.  You literally had less than 1% chance to make a tier 3 piece of armor as a maximum skill crafter.  In fact, skill barely factored into anything, it was just a lottery system and that I'm completely against.

What I'm suggesting is a typical crafting system.  Even in Vanguard you could push to make the quality higher. at higher risk to your materials.  I just think they could take it even further and add further bonus at the greater risk.  I thought the overcharging system in DAoC was cool, even if it was just a simple combo system not unlike EQ1.

• 9115 posts
    April 2, 2015 4:10 PM PDT
    Dullahan said:
    Kilsin said:

I cant think of an Asian MMO that is comparable to what I'm suggesting.  I just got done with ArcheAge and crafting in there was a total RNG nightmare solely to encourage people to buy stuff from the marketplace to allow them to craft longer and to increase horrible odds.  You literally had less than 1% chance to make a tier 3 piece of armor as a maximum skill crafter.  In fact, skill barely factored into anything, it was just a lottery system and that I'm completely against.

What I'm suggesting is a typical crafting system.  Even in Vanguard you could push to make the quality higher. at higher risk to your materials.  I just think they could take it even further and add further bonus at the greater risk.  I thought the overcharging system in DAoC was cool, even if it was just a simple combo system not unlike EQ1.

I must of misunderstood you mate, I finished playing ArcheAge for a second time not long ago too and I know what you mean, that system was awful and basically depended on how big your wallet was, I didn't craft much in ArcheAge for that reason.

I am not familiar with the DAoC Crafting system but I think I understand what you mean now, the VG system wasn't perfect by any means but I felt like I was Crafting and didn't have any fear of losing my item unless I was under levelled, lack the skill or it was a hard to make item that require concentration like a PotA T3 piece or Epic Weapon or a 51+ ability combine where I had a chance even at max level in the best gear to lose all my very expensive materials if I didn't pay attention and get it right.

I like that feeling, it wasn't an RNG feeling it was more centred on my own skill and awareness, so if I failed, it was my fault (or the server lagging/crashing lol).

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at April 2, 2015 4:10 PM PDT
    • 308 posts
    April 2, 2015 4:42 PM PDT

i was just thinking about a LN i read and the author has some ideas i would like to see come into play as well.

some type of crafting enhancement system or remodeling system.what if a crafter could enhance drop items stats? if you give that "Sword of Awesome" you got from "Grunk the Maimed" to a Smith he can add a stat or add to its attack by using his "Engraving" skill. or adding a counterweight to improve the balance and bring down the delay of the item by using the "Remodel" skill? but beware if you add too much to the item it may have adverse effects!

i would envision something along these lines for all the crafts i think it would add depth and help crafters keep cash incoming.

• 308 posts
    April 2, 2015 5:06 PM PDT
    Aradune said:

A solid, fun crafting/harvesting system is a lot of work, and we're not sure if we want to wait that long to release.  So it may come in an expansion.

Also we need to figure out how to balance crafted gear with the fact that most items will be tradable.

i would like to say for myself i hear ya that its a ton of work to make an entire sphere like crafting and do not mind waiting for an expansion, with that said when crafting is installed later it may have an afterthought type of feel to it if the concept isnt fleshed out while you are putting the game together. to combat this i humbly suggest that while itemizing the world keep crafting in mind and while the whole system need not be fleshed out i think it would help when the time does come to put it in if the worlds items and gear were designed with the knowledge of what you want from crafting.

can crafters enhance drop items? are crafted goods able to be produced superior to raid drops at a higher difficulty of production? are crafted items totally customizable or are the stats set by the type of weapon? how rare will HQ crafted stuff be compared to drops?

and i am sure you guys know even more important questions to list on here, after all you are the builders. when i reply to or create threads on crafting its not because i think that it will be in at launch. (afterall youve said multiple times that crafting will get into pantheon just not at launch) but because i am hoping that some of the ideas i may provide here can be kept in mind so that later when you guys actually get to the point of bringing in crafting you dont say "shoot i like this idea but we cant put it in now because_________."

also on balancing the crafted stuff with the tradeable aspect, i would just make sure that crafted items can be taken out of the economy in the same ways as looted items with processes like tribute and such.

This post was edited by Gawd at April 2, 2015 5:49 PM PDT
    • 15 posts
    April 10, 2016 12:01 PM PDT

I personally hope the crafting is its own sphere, that takes a commitment, and faction to be able to complete. I also hope it isnt completely controlled by the "adventureres".

Nothing worse than having to depend on non-crafters to get mats, molds/recipes. Crafting only quest rewards is a possibility for getting some of the more unique forumulas?

I also think having proper faction to make certain items is a must, why trivialize the hard work people are willing to put in, if someone can come along and make the exact same thing with little or no effort?

I'm not saying power guilds shouldnt reap some rewards for thier work, of course they should. But i bet there is someone in that guild that put as much time into his crafting sphere as others in the guild put into leveling up thier adventurers.

Just my .02

• 34 posts
    April 11, 2016 2:09 AM PDT
    I would love to see a completely customizable crafting system. Like 3 pieces of copper ore, put into a sword mold gives you a copper long sword. You can then take that sword and modify it. I'm going to add this red rock for a damage boost and this blue water thingy to give it some intellect and this rare orb to make it glow (totally random ideas). The idea being you could craft whatever you wanted, literally. Don't confine the adventuring part of the game because you can't get exactly what you want from crafting.
    • 613 posts
    April 11, 2016 12:16 PM PDT

Crafting should be an integrated part of the story. You can either take part in it or just go about your business. I know some don’t like crafting or don’t have the time to put into it that is why economies pop up and those that want to can go that route. For those of us that like crafting it really needs to be engaging. If it takes a year to complete a master legendary level sword so be it. I think that items that are on the higher end of the spectrum for damage/healing or whatever should take serious time to achieve.   Crafting should play a major role here. Sure you could get a drop but making your own or helping guild members is more gratifying to me.   How to build the system to do that is critical. How do we build a system that can do that?

Some thoughts:

Materials: This should be a long process of finding materials and understanding what to do with them.   Basic ores/stone/wood/arcane should have quests and leveling pieces to build up to the more advanced concepts. Apprenticeships maybe.

Classes of crafting: (This could include crafting based on the different races of the game)

Smiths (jewelry/armor/tools/weapons)

Cooking (self-explanatory but very much needed)

Arcane with magic learned from actually studying. Maybe a tiers of classification here such as elemental based skills. Once you start a path that is yours for the life of your character.

Infusion meaning magic is infused to items created by the smiths.

Craftsmen for furniture/tools/leather working and clothing

Gatherers was a thought I had due to so many people usually mine, cut wood, fish and harvest that maybe there needs to be a skill set for this.

Levels for Crafting: Tons of names for these just trying to get the basic concept down)

Apprentice

Journeyman

Master

Legendary

Progressively harder quest chains and or guilds needed to get to the next level. Faction based quests should also be included. Way too many games make this a trivial if not time sink that has no value.

The action itself should be entertaining and most of all gratifying to do.   What so many games do now is the fast paced results and in some cased items can’t be traded or used on another character.   I always liked the Vanguard UI and the actions you had to do make an item. You go AFK you get garbage or a flat out failure. EQ2 does this too I believe. The click and go get a cup of coffee method should not be introduced.

Just throwing thoughts out here.

Good thread.

Ox

• 2419 posts
    April 11, 2016 6:41 PM PDT

VattoLoco said: I would love to see a completely customizable crafting system. Like 3 pieces of copper ore, put into a sword mold gives you a copper long sword. You can then take that sword and modify it. I'm going to add this red rock for a damage boost and this blue water thingy to give it some intellect and this rare orb to make it glow (totally random ideas). The idea being you could craft whatever you wanted, literally. Don't confine the adventuring part of the game because you can't get exactly what you want from crafting.

Such a system would be impossible to balance.  There is a direct connection between items in the game and the content against which those items are applied.  Could you provide balanced content if you had no idea of what items and their stats the players could utilize?  Without limitations you could conceivably make items that, in combination with other items, trivialize any amount of content.  Without balanced content, you'd quickly find yourself in a game all by yourself.

• 34 posts
    April 12, 2016 1:19 AM PDT
    I don't understand why that would be impossible to balance... Limit the number of additions you can do to an item to like 2 or 3 depending on rarity of the crafted item. Obviously adding a million items would be obscene. i agree with you in the fact that you couldn't balance the items and stats if u couldn't control the number of combines. That being said, limit the number of combines and VOILA... Balance.
    • 37 posts
    April 12, 2016 7:54 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

VattoLoco said: I would love to see a completely customizable crafting system. Like 3 pieces of copper ore, put into a sword mold gives you a copper long sword. You can then take that sword and modify it. I'm going to add this red rock for a damage boost and this blue water thingy to give it some intellect and this rare orb to make it glow (totally random ideas). The idea being you could craft whatever you wanted, literally. Don't confine the adventuring part of the game because you can't get exactly what you want from crafting.

Such a system would be impossible to balance.  There is a direct connection between items in the game and the content against which those items are applied.  Could you provide balanced content if you had no idea of what items and their stats the players could utilize?  Without limitations you could conceivably make items that, in combination with other items, trivialize any amount of content.  Without balanced content, you'd quickly find yourself in a game all by yourself.

I don't think it'd be too difficult. Not only can you limit the amount of combines, but you can have items that grant a different modifier for the same stat based on level range. WoW and EQ1 did this. 'This stone adds +1str. This stone i got from a dungeon crawel 10 levels higher adds +5str'. 

I'm not suggessting implementing this. I'm kinda meh on augments, but I don't think it'd be ludicrous.

This post was edited by Senthin at April 12, 2016 7:55 AM PDT
    • 578 posts
    June 4, 2016 10:59 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Dullahan said:
    Kilsin said:

I must of misunderstood you mate, I finished playing ArcheAge for a second time not long ago too and I know what you mean, that system was awful and basically depended on how big your wallet was, I didn't craft much in ArcheAge for that reason.

I am not familiar with the DAoC Crafting system but I think I understand what you mean now, the VG system wasn't perfect by any means but I felt like I was Crafting and didn't have any fear of losing my item unless I was under levelled, lack the skill or it was a hard to make item that require concentration like a PotA T3 piece or Epic Weapon or a 51+ ability combine where I had a chance even at max level in the best gear to lose all my very expensive materials if I didn't pay attention and get it right.

I like that feeling, it wasn't an RNG feeling it was more centred on my own skill and awareness, so if I failed, it was my fault (or the server lagging/crashing lol).

If I could suggest an MMO's crafting system I'd suggest EQ2's vanilla crafting system. I don't know if you played EQ2 at launch or if you know anything about its crafting but you should try to look into it if not. Maybe play a vanilla server if they have one because I believe they have simplified the crafting a lot since launch.

If you like crafting I can think of no better system though. It was complex, deep, challenging, and rewarding. You had your own skillbook for crafting and by max crafting level you would have just as many abilities in your crafting skillset that you would in your combat skillset at max level. It required timing and knowledge of what skills affect what better to make a better graded item. You could use different resources to make different grades of items. And you also had the possibility to make a poor grade item if you didn't use the proper materials along with the proper skills and have proper timing. It was honestly the ONLY time I've ever spent much time crafting because it was nowhere near the mind numbingly systems that most MMOs have. My only gripe with it would be that the skills wound up being basically copies of previous abilities but that's nitpicking.

• 107 posts
    June 6, 2016 6:06 PM PDT

One caveat is that if you could push crafting at higher risks to get higher stats, you really are in the RNG issue.

then the pushed crafting will be the only value. This is what happened in SWGs max Comp armor would cost 10 times as 99% of max which would cost 10 times as much as 98% of max. anything down to 90% would get about the cost of the materials and anything below that was a loss.

This was balance in SWGs because of the use of schematics, so you would sit in your house for 3 hours crafting whatever it was with the expensive mats so you would get the schematics for a max stat item, then push out 99 clones and actually make your money.

Off topic, and maybe already mentioned somewhere: I really like the idea of a shared crafting window like in EQ2, so mats are put in to be crafted the crafting is done, and the final item automatically goes back to the buyer with the coin to the crafter. I really think it helps independent crafters since there is not as much worry about being stolen from. In turn this lowers support tickets.

• 21 posts
    June 29, 2016 11:25 PM PDT

the down side to a long road to mastery of crafting is......

the adventurer player base will out level you 99% of the time, and then the boards explode with whiney Adventurers and the whiney Crafters about the system being to slow and why is it taking so long, we have adventurers that are lvl 99 and the highest crafter is only lvl 54

I would love to see the use of WORT's again

• 7 posts
    August 1, 2016 2:45 PM PDT

A few thoughts from me.  Crafting is a big thing for me.  I have seen a few places it is done well and a LOT where it is done terribly. 

Casual crafting does not exist.  My general compass on this is that no one shuold be able to casually craft.  Take SWTOR crafting.  Something you click to be done when you are offline, that yields a guaranteed item.  All that does is fill the entire broker or market with items of the same type and quality.  Everyone is a crafter as it takes no effort.  Crafting shuold mean you invest some real time into it.  It doesnt have to be a horrifuic grind as it should also be fun or at least exciting... will I get a better item grade... just have to work harder etc... but it should not be mundane.

Crafting should not be RNG  Why ?  Because my dice are always terrible :)  I really liked the idea of the ealry EQ2 crafting system.  As a Weaponsmith I found that the early weapons were very useful and in demand and also if I didn't give it my full attention, there was a very good reason "The Forge" was in the top 5 of things that killed players.  Number 1 killer of players was the chest.  Again I loved this.  Let the Rogue disarm or take the chance !  Anyway, you should be able to use skills to offset bad things in the crafting process and with concentration on items you should be able to make the item.

Crafting skills should skill up and be relevant.  I shuld take my time to skill up my "potion mixing" skills as if I don't my "Alchemy" will yield a lesser item as the base ingredients are lesser.  Again EQ2 did this well at the early days.

All items should be crafted only. (Unless they are part of a heritage type quest of significant effort to yield a class item or end game work of art.  Think original EQ2 Class Weapon Mythicals)
    I really believe this.  Great artifacts and ingredients should be found in the world and used carefully by skilled crafters to make great items.  This is coming from someone who made 90% of the bricks for a Vanguard Guild Castle... I know what its like to work hard as a crafter.  That remains my biggest in game crafting achievement due to the volume and work we put into it.  BEST items should need several crafters to make parts of the item.

1 Crafter should not be able to craft everything.  Interdependancy is really key.  It builds relationships between crafters who will help one another.

Crafting will lag behind adventuring.  Good.  That means the adventuurers have something to look forward to.  I cannot agree more than the game cannot give into the whining "but I am at cap and want the best item this week, not next week" as it all leads to the same place "the week after" now what I have the best item there is nothing to do in game.

Harvesting is key to crafting.  SWG did this perfectly.  I remember so well when that rare resource came round that was so pure the server went mad everyone putting down their harvesting machines in the best spots, squeezing the last drops out of the ground before it moved on as you knew, a resource that good was not coming round for another 6 months.  I am not sure how to recreate that excellent system but that made harvesting super exciting, let alone crafting.

Items should be able to be "discovered".  Who knew when you made that mistake and used Strength imbue on an Agility Axe by mistake that it actually gave you a an Agility Axe with a crit chance on it or whatever other better random example someone can come up with.

A few thoughts anyway... if my ideas and comments are rubbish, I hope they at least show I am really engaged in the crafting element, often more so than the adventuring, and thats from a Raider who is well into end game and social activities.  I picked out above some of the real games I have seen done well in the last 10 years and thats just off the top of my head,.

• 116 posts
    August 4, 2016 6:02 AM PDT

Karofin said:

A few thoughts from me.  Crafting is a big thing for me.  I have seen a few places it is done well and a LOT where it is done terribly. 

All items should be crafted only. (Unless they are part of a heritage type quest of significant effort to yield a class item or end game work of art.  Think original EQ2 Class Weapon Mythicals)
    I really believe this.  Great artifacts and ingredients should be found in the world and used carefully by skilled crafters to make great items.  This is coming from someone who made 90% of the bricks for a Vanguard Guild Castle... I know what its like to work hard as a crafter.  That remains my biggest in game crafting achievement due to the volume and work we put into it.  BEST items should need several crafters to make parts of the item.

All items should not have to be crafted, we should be able buy low to mid level items in game as well as using items looted or found while exploring. I would expect to have to pay to have something special constructed but having several crafters sounds like it's over doing it. As far as having to use several crafters to get the BEST items crafted, Why? Why not use several materials that other crafters have produced to create that special item? Having to hand an item to multiple crafters to make their part of an item seems unnecessarily cumbersome. Games should be FUN not WORK.

• 510 posts
    August 9, 2016 7:48 AM PDT

I like the idea of re-working dropped items - to a certain extent.

I think if the dropped item is a non-magical item then sure - rework it.  Say a Goblin drops a rusty sword.  Sell the sword to a vendor for a few silver or REWORK it - remove the rust, add a small buff etc.  This would make the sword a little more valuable.  Maybe even worthy of use to some low-level player.  Great idea.

I think that if the item is a magical item then you need to start worrying about RISK vs. REWARD.  Trying to get better stats on a Short Sword of the Ykesha is likely to result an an explosion that kills the crafter and destroys the item.