Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

OFFICIAL: New character models 3/5/20

• 1399 posts
    March 6, 2020 10:41 AM PST

I'm quite disapointed with these models, for the same reasons as a few others. They are all the same, just scaled and differant texture the silhouette is near identical, the diferances are entirely too subtle. In the making of Faerthal stream they emphasized and really played up how they tried to match the concept art and how important that was (I agree, very important, and they did great!!), They showed two monitors, stacked, one showing concept, the other where they were with the world.

With these models they apperantly threw that whole procedure out the window and tried to do it by memory or a rough guess at best. Compaire any of these models to the concept art on the Race pages of the web site here, ears are wrong, foreheads wrong, eyes wrong, spikes on the sholders of the Skar, damn, the list can go on and on.

I understand the reasoning to just go with universal armour but that leaves the head as the only real defining feature when the model is clothed 

Sorry I can't be a yes man fanboi on this one, but WAY off mark in my opinion. 

• 107 posts
    March 6, 2020 10:55 AM PST
    I think the models are looking great. However, I have to somewhat agree with Zorkon. It seems like the same body build for each race, just skinned a bit differently with different heads/faces. I understand the reasoning behind this, but structurally speaking for the bodies I was hoping for a little more variety. Also, I agree that the Myr need to have regular eyes (or fish eyes), not glowing orbs. But I do like the skin details on each race. That looks great. But as with everything, this is just my own opinion.
    • 368 posts
    March 6, 2020 12:11 PM PST

There will probably be options to scale your characters height and weight/bulkiness during charcater creation...And other tickers and sliders to tweak/embellish other physical body and facial features (shoulder spike styles?, skin colors, scale/skin patterns, hair styles, ear size, nose size, eye shape, eye colors etc etc). 

At least I would hope there is.

That can go a long way toward letting one tweak the appearance of their character to their liking.

This post was edited by arazons at March 6, 2020 12:14 PM PST
    • 5 posts
    March 6, 2020 1:04 PM PST

You can tell they're proud of how these models turned out and they should be, they're excellent. It's not just the quality of them, it's the meaningful concepts expressed in each that invite deeper curiosity into the setting. You look at the skar, read the summary of their history, and you want to know more about them. No noble warrior-poets here, that much is clear. But still their own customs, culture of a kind...maybe? Anyway, I REALLY want to play a skar monk. Have a feeling that will be a popular combination.

The archai elemental attunement is a very neat idea. People love the minor details, the bits of trivia that help their character to stand out, seem more like their creation, kind of thing.

• 70 posts
    March 6, 2020 1:59 PM PST

I really like the skins on these models, but you wanted comments. 

The Dark Myr: Like most people already have said it, the eyes of the Dark Myr are wrong. They are sea people their eyes should be more like fish eyes. But fish eyes are not really attractive to the players, so you will have a hard job finding something that fits. I also want to see the Dark myr have muscles like the Olympic swimmers have. Strong arms and shoulders and a strong chest. Also fish people should not have hair. That doesn't mean you cannot have something simular, like fins or scales on their heads. The female seems to light up magically on certain spots on the head and stomach, like the eyes do now. They do not need lighting up.

The skar: s, I thought skar had only the skin of the head pulled back, but I can also see ribs sticking out and the back is well done, so are the feet, but the arms,legs and behind do not seem to have the same fate, they are fatty. The woman does not need such well filled breasts. it really makes it a too big of contrast. My suggestion, make te arms and legs etc have less fat or show the muscles better so I can see every string of muscle because of the tight skin. 
    It is great this race is bit smaller now. 
    The body is not right if people expect them to run away on all fours. Because I do not expect that now when I see them, they have too much of a human build. My idea is to give them Longer arms and/or shorter legs.

The Archai. The rocky skin is something I expected more with the description of dwarves. Dwarves are made out of Ice and Rock. Archai are made out of another race that was pure energy. It is certainly not a bad skin, but I am not sure it really represents the Archai. If both races are meant to be stony I'd suggest to make the archai Smooth like marble. As for the shape. Well they are perfecly human shaped now, that fits well with them. 

• 416 posts
    March 6, 2020 2:18 PM PST

While I think overall the new models look really amazing and I love the details, as others have said, they do look like humans with a different skin and I find that very disappointing, while I completely understand that it may need to be done for logistical reasons. But once armor is put on and the bodies covered, won't then all the races look the same? I would really like to see different body types for the races so that no matter what the gear a person is wearing the races have a distinctive feel and look.

• 510 posts
    March 6, 2020 3:10 PM PST

On a more xenomorphic overview of these classes...

Skar:  Overall I like these models alot.  As for skin texture i would think textures more akin to Horny Toads (google Horny toad images).  You can see the color schemes for these could vary greatly.  In addition, by expanding the forethought of a world where horned toads are the apexx predators I think our artists at VR did an overall very good job.  I would like to see skin texture choices that would include beading in the front or belly of the Skarr and more pointed scales and ridges along the back.  Reptiles do not have hair, but they have a magnificent choice of spikes and ridges.  As apex predators on their home world they would have very strong legs and most likely long spread out toes.  The only "wrong" thing I see with this model is the use of blunt front teeth.  Those should be short and pointy.  Skar are meat eaters, blunt teeth are for chewing plants.  Should be no breasts on Skar.  Make females 20 to 30% bigger than males.  Would like to see very short tails.

Arachai:  Again, great job on these models.  The only thing I would like to see is the lower legs need to grow.  They should NOT have ankles due to their over-all weight.  They should have cankles at best.  Might even consider making the feet about 5 to 10% bigger than the calves.

Dark Myr:  Well done. I totally get the eyes.  Not sure if you folks have ever seen images of eyes on fish in the deep.  At an angle the eyes can almost appear to be a solid color due to the film over the eyes.  Their legs (thighs and lower legs) should be larger.  Having developed in the ocean, they spend their whole life swimming - this should be reflected in their leg structure.  Check images of water polo players and gymnasts.  Breasts should be much less pronounced.  ALmost flat chested.  Perhaps some development on the side/under arm area(?)  Love the skin color, but wonder if we could scale it to match almost any ocean/sea color (blues, greys, teals, etc.)  Would love to see fisch scale options as well.  The scales used on the EQ2 Mermaid scale armor is awesome.  Would love to see that greatly expanded here.  Options include triangular, rounded, squared scales with option colorizing of the tips of the scales.  Consider some slight slimming of the torso.  Again, images of water polo players could help.

Overrall, very well done.  I had already written off Skar as being too ugly before this reveal.  But now I think I might have to roll up a Dire Lord!

• 2752 posts
    March 6, 2020 3:50 PM PST

I think they all look great and wouldn't change a thing, wonderful job VR team. 

Jothany said:

Dark Myr should have more elongated hands and feet (more like flippers) and DEFINITELY have webbing between fingers and toes.

That wouldn't make sense though...they lost their fluke and had their bodies transformed to have normal legs for land.

• 1281 posts
    March 6, 2020 3:53 PM PST

Questaar said:

[Hullo all! Forgive me trespassin' on this OP, but we wanted an official feedback thread on these models anyway, so why re-invent tha wheel? CARRY ON, we love your comments and constructive feedback! Haven't seen 'em yet? Our March 5 DevStream is now up on YouTube, so check 'em out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ro5ZrrOniA&feature=youtu.be ~Brasse]

What does everyone think of the new Dark Myr, Skar, and Archai models?

Dark Myr - I like them I like the gills, and the ears especially.  They seem more water      based to me.  They also have more claw like fingernails.  I think they should have regular eyes.  I would keep the eye lights for the gnomes and Archai.  

Skar - I really like the Star. VR knocked it out of the park for me.   It makes me really want a Skar character now.  They look like they would rip your throat out for one copper, or maybe just for fun.  They're incredibly muscular looking.  Those faces are definitely only barely humanoid.

Archai - This is going to take some getting used to for me.  I thought the old model looked kind of regal and I liked that a lot.  The new character references a stonelike skin, which I don't care for at all.  If that belongs anywhere I would have done that to Dwarves.  I like the Archai eyes still and the glowing striations showing their influence to earth, air, fire, water.  

Oger - I'd really like to see an update to the Ogre now.

I agree with your sentiment of the Dark Myr.  In the aquatic world, light means food to alot of aquatic predators.  This means that other fish and what-not would constantly be trying to attack their eyes.

• 2001 posts
    March 6, 2020 4:14 PM PST

Iksar said:

Jothany said:

Dark Myr should have more elongated hands and feet (more like flippers) and DEFINITELY have webbing between fingers and toes.

That wouldn't make sense though...they lost their fluke and had their bodies transformed to have normal legs for land.

Well first, I haven't read all the lore about them, just what is on the race page. But...

They weren't completely changed, or they wouldn't still breath underwater. There's no hint that I've heard of their water breathing being enabled by magic. If they still have gills, they could certainly have webbing.

Also, I'd ask (as I really don't know) are they born underwater? Do they spend their childhood their?

If aquatic life is still a significant part of their heritage (as it certainly appears to be), then webbing would make enormous sense.

And you know perfectly well that all aspects of a fantasy game needs to make perfect, rational sense :)

• 45 posts
    March 6, 2020 4:16 PM PST

I think the new race models are awesome! They are exactly unhuman enough to be interesting but still human enough, that I can connect to them and want to play them. Dark Myr is my favorite of the three but would have loved em even more with fish eyes like the Skar has reptile eyes or maybe just black eyes.

• 2752 posts
    March 6, 2020 4:30 PM PST

Jothany said:

Well first, I haven't read all the lore about them, just what is on the race page. But...

They weren't completely changed, or they wouldn't still breath underwater. There's no hint that I've heard of their water breathing being enabled by magic. If they still have gills, they could certainly have webbing.

Also, I'd ask (as I really don't know) are they born underwater? Do they spend their childhood their?

If aquatic life is still a significant part of their heritage (as it certainly appears to be), then webbing would make enormous sense.

And you know perfectly well that all aspects of a fantasy game needs to make perfect, rational sense :)

Too lazy to double check so IIRC they can breathe underwater but the waters of Terminus are poisonous to them and so they would die if they stayed under too long. Because of this their deity gave up her life to transform their bodies and give them legs + lungs so they could live their lives on land. They could possibly still have webbed fingers though. 

• 521 posts
    March 6, 2020 5:58 PM PST

The only thing i really noticed was how those skar women appear both dangerous & bodacious. 

• 1273 posts
    March 6, 2020 6:10 PM PST

The only thing i really noticed was how those skar women appear both dangerous & bodacious. 

Now you know where all the skar babies come from.

• 1860 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:48 PM PST

To be honest, they all look way to good imo...seriously (I know that sounds strange). To polished, to many textures. I'm sure that is what VR is going for, but it seems overly done and unnecessary.

I'd really like to see what they look like with all graphics on the lowest possible setting.

I'm guessing I might like them better. Maybe? Unsure.

I just dont like the direction things have been going graphically. Not just these character models.

I get that it's an attempt to draw in a demographic that might not normally be drawn to Pantheon's gameplay.

From my experience, people who are overly concerned with graphics are not the type of players who stick with a game long term. They will jump to the next shiny thing.

If a subscription model is being used that ^ becomes a problem.

Players who might have otherwise stuck around end up following their friends to other games.

Either stick to your guns and be content with a smaller player base and a subscription model that might make more money in the long run due to a dedicated player base, or cater to the masses with shiny graphics and more lenient penalties for failure. Have a cash shop and get in and get out while you can because those players who care about graphics arent sticking around based on my experience in the current mmo market. You cant keep up with the next shiny graphic game in the line.

• 1921 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:58 PM PST

Agreed philo.  Gameplay > Graphics.  I don't understand the time spent on this stuff either.  They could have greyboxed everything and used default everything with respect to animations, models, textures, everything in the Unity store or provided by default to work out the gameplay mechanics.  Yet, 6 years in, they suddenly switch to a console-friendly LAS combat bar with 8 non-buff abilities.  That should have been put in place in 2014, not 2020.  Not a tenet, feature, or difference since the kickstarter, yet, surprise! Gameplay is now entirely different, thanks for the 6 years of support without knowing that.

Then they burn how many years on custom world models, custom pc models, custom NPC races, and even custom shaders, lighting, textures, and more.  If the whole value in getting the game to launch phase quickly was choosing Unity?  I don't think that plan worked.  Gameplay doesn't care about graphics, and yet.. graphics consume so much time & effort, with a small team, it's catastrophically inefficient.
    If they used stock everything and greyboxed the world, beta could have been in 2017. 
    Hell, with today's desperate gamers?  They could start charging a persistence sub at that point, guaranteeing income to make things pretty.  Project Gorgon, PFO, Legends of Aria, and Shroud did worse. I just don't see the value or the point in custom models of anything with such a small team, pre-beta. 

This post was edited by vjek at March 6, 2020 8:11 PM PST
    • 34 posts
    March 6, 2020 9:33 PM PST
    The “skins” for all of these races look great! I don’t even mind the eyes for the Dark Myr! I am concerned, like others, that the bodies are all too similar, with different *very* polished skins placed over the same frame. As others mentioned, once the armor goes on everyone will look extremely similar. Perhaps with different posturing of races, in addition to the embellishments that were mentioned in the video for the same armor worn by different races, it may be fine and add enough uniqueness to make each race distinct. It’s a valid concern, but also I’m a supporter of gameplay > graphics. Great job on the skins for the races, I’m excited to see the Dark Myr City :)!
    • 388 posts
    March 6, 2020 9:39 PM PST

vjek said:

Agreed philo.  Gameplay > Graphics.  I don't understand the time spent on this stuff either.  They could have greyboxed everything and used default everything with respect to animations, models, textures, everything in the Unity store or provided by default to work out the gameplay mechanics.  Yet, 6 years in, they suddenly switch to a console-friendly LAS combat bar with 8 non-buff abilities.  That should have been put in place in 2014, not 2020.  Not a tenet, feature, or difference since the kickstarter, yet, surprise! Gameplay is now entirely different, thanks for the 6 years of support without knowing that.

Then they burn how many years on custom world models, custom pc models, custom NPC races, and even custom shaders, lighting, textures, and more.  If the whole value in getting the game to launch phase quickly was choosing Unity?  I don't think that plan worked.  Gameplay doesn't care about graphics, and yet.. graphics consume so much time & effort, with a small team, it's catastrophically inefficient.
    If they used stock everything and greyboxed the world, beta could have been in 2017. 
    Hell, with today's desperate gamers?  They could start charging a persistence sub at that point, guaranteeing income to make things pretty.  Project Gorgon, PFO, Legends of Aria, and Shroud did worse. I just don't see the value or the point in custom models of anything with such a small team, pre-beta. 

I agree with Many others, I am not impressed. I don't want to make a character using any of these races. 

vjek, thank you for pointing out the console-friendly LAS. I didn't even think of this going playstation/xbox... 

You are 100% correct to call them out on this stuff. 6 years later and we are discussing Coin Weight (few weeks ago in a dev stream) and Changing the hot bar to a playstation bar and going all out on super high res character models before you even have a world half created. You can literally feel the loss of brad already... imo this game is changing direction already. Good news tho. Since they are starting over, again, you haven't been waiting 6 years. you've only just started the new waiting! 

I can't wait for the annoucement that EA bought this game... 

This post was edited by Flapp at March 6, 2020 9:42 PM PST
    • 379 posts
    March 6, 2020 10:43 PM PST

vjek said:

This is something myself and many of my friends have been saying for years now, a lot of the decisions just do not make sense for the size of the team or the amount of funding (non-publisher). It is also another reason I can't get many of them to pledge - they just can't see the direction, as in, alpha --> beta --> launch. It just looks stagnant in "pre-alpha". News flash, no one cares about pre-alpha phases, only the  'Are you in Alpha yet? Are you in beta yet? When is launch?' It's beyond frustrating trying to be hyped up about a game and tell people about it, when you constantly have to tell them you have no idea when it may be in a playable state...especially after 4 years? 5 years? 6 years? Depends when you count (which is also ludicrous).

As far as the models go, I do think they look great - but now all the previous models don't seem to be up to par when compared to the new ones. It's like when EQ added the Luclin models, and you would have a mix (toggled) of some new and some old - when standing next to each other, it just seems silly. Either you need all new or all old.

• 2138 posts
    March 6, 2020 11:23 PM PST

I dont care about their bodies, I wont see their bodies under all that armor- UNLESS there is a swimming thing where people need to strip all their armor and swim/skinny-dip to a place and then put armor back on and then and ONLY then do you see the wierd, wierdness IF you cast a wayward glance ..... (maybe a raid thing?)

The Skar scare me. No really, they scare me. I want no part of them (in a good way) it will be really hard for me to befriend them (in a good way). The female dredlocks, or should I say "Dread"- locks are a wicked touch.

The Archai are better than I imagined! the striations re just right, it reminds me of the stylization of Liberatore. If they couldn't do Jadaworsky's Dune at the time, maybe you can do Heavy Metal, now? with a little CGI and bring Mobieus and Den and the others that may have died to life as it shoudl be on the screen- heck we already have the spaceman in the convertible actually in space thanks to Elon Musk- he must have been a fan of Heavy Metal.

The Myr I think are just fishy enough without being too fishy the female gills are nicely understated and double and the male gills are just a bit more pronounced. the stretched skin  reminds me of shark skin. People have mentioned the eyes, round eyes would be like googly eyes and would be out of place, black or blue if you can make them glow would be better, Males blue and females green? bring a little fremen vibe? dark green and dark blue if you can get it to glow no pupil, or as skar are dark iris  with bright pupil, try myr with solid red background and black dot pupil almost 3D? something wierd and semi creepy? dont get me wrong, theylre great but something to make it pop- like how rise of the fallen "popped" in the logo. ooh-eyes same shape but vertical oriented?  instead of horizontal? like normal eyes that would be unique and not enough to bother armor.

• 2756 posts
    March 7, 2020 3:21 AM PST

Like the new models a lot.

The Myr aquatic feel is great, though I would have liked to see more scales and fins, however subtle. Loved the protruding bone and cartilage on the Skar, but would have liked a bit more. Loved the stony textures and glowing striations on the Archai.

One thing about hair: Please PLEASE, VR, don't be dumping 'human' type hair on these models hehe. Even in funky styles and wild colours it would look ridiculous, like plopping a wig on a pig. The Archai should have stone/gem formations. The Myr should have fronds, weeds, fins and crests. The Skar should have bone, cartilage and horny protrusions. All in various hair-style-esque configurations, of course.

As for the criticism of them just looking 'human' in shape; it's not a bad thing.  Unless you are playing PvP and closing to combat is particularly important, then having a distinct silhouette or some such is *shrug* unimportant.

Even the textures (apart from faces) will hardly even be seen (though with a helmet toggle, the head/hair might be - my hair comments doubly important!). They will be covered in armor/robes 99.999% of the time. Of course, this is also the technical reason for the design choice, since they wish to avoid multiplying dev work by [number of races] and possibly even by [male/female/other] for every item made.

Personally, I think there are also good non-technical reasons for human-like forms: Wildly non-human lifeforms are fine for the E in PvE, but our heros and heroines, the Ps, are just as well being something we can more readily identify with.

This post was edited by disposalist at March 7, 2020 3:30 AM PST
    • 132 posts
    March 7, 2020 5:10 AM PST
    Really letdown by Dark Myr though it would look like the ones on the main site. Was going to main it that decision definitely changed. Does not look aquatic at all anymore but a human with blue paint.
    May be a aurmour issue I dunno.

The first concept of Dark Myr was amazing why switch from what we liked?

Skar I really like it's unique style.

Gnomes are amazing looking.

Archai looks good.

Please take Dark Myr back and fix it.
    • 148 posts
    March 7, 2020 5:46 AM PST

I have to agree with a few others here, the models just seem wrong to me and I felt that way when seeing them on stream. The Dark Myr don't really look like Merfolk and the Skar look more like Skeletor than a lizard. But the main thing is as others have stated, they are too detailed. That detail will be lost with armour, even with your starting gear the detail will be lost, BUT the performance impact will still be there. I can't image having tons of highly detailed player and npc models running all over the place is great for performance. Maybe if this was a single player game having that highly of detailed characters would be fine, but to me its lost in an mmo.

I also have to agree with the overall concern of the graphics. It's fine to have decent graphics as long as the gameplay isn't hampered by that, but from what we're seeing it is being. We haven't had a PA session in over a year because of graphics. I have been concerned for a few years now that they are only working on a zone or two at a time, and being that for the past year and a half the main focus has been one zone I can only assume that concern was valid. If that is going to be the world building style (one zone at a time) then this game will never see release. Just look at the timelapse photos of the tree they showed in stream, and watch the background. It goes from nothing to a mountain to a castle back to nothing. So much wasted time, settle on what the environment / zone should look like before modeling it out.

• 93 posts
    March 7, 2020 8:02 AM PST

I am really loving the new character models but wanted, like many, to offer my feedback. 

General feedback:

Love the textural quality of each of these three races skin as well as their reflective property. It doesn’t have the same plastic-y quality that some of the other races have.

I noticed that the females of these three races all have wider hips than the males.  This seems weird.  I don’t care for the “width” of the female bodies and I truly hope there is a slider to adjust them to be more slender.  The females just seem out of proportion to me, something is off.  The males, on the other hand, look great in this regard.

Thank you – no, THANK YOU, for getting breasts done right.

Skar:

I was surprised by the females being slightly taller than the males but I am ok with this.  I think it’s actually refreshing.  The leather skin, exposed bone, nose, teeth... spot on what comes to my mind when I think about what I don’t want to cross paths with in a darkened cave.  The only thing I don’t like is the dreadlock hair.  Personally, I can’t stand dreadlocks but I’m hoping there are plenty of hair options that are not of the dreadlock (or mohawk) variety.

Dark Myr:

Nailed it in almost every way but I just imagined the females being so much more slender and lithe with almost an eel-like quality (a bit of an exaggeration but...).  They just seem too hefty to me.  The female’s head seems too big and outsized for her body.  I like some of the darker mottling on the males skin (more noticeable on his back) and I hope this is a slider adjustment and can be done on the females as well.  Eyes: I am not a fan of pupil-less eyes and I hope the Dark Myr get them even if not the typical human pupil.  If we are not going to get pupils for them, at least let us tone down the color or brightness with a slider.  I prefer not to have MY eyes instantly drawn to my character’s bright glowing white eyes every time I look at them.  Webbed hands and feet would be ok too.  Don't go too crazy with big puffy hairdos too, II wouldn't think those too befitting the race, IMHO.

Archai:

I was a little surprised at them being so stone-like but it’s done very well.  I’m not sure if they’re something I’d want to play now even though they were fairly high on my list of races before.  But they do look pretty cool.  Many of my Dark Myr comments hold true for the Archai as well like having pupils, females not as wide hipped, etc.

I think as long as there are ample sliders for body size/tone, hair styles and the usual eyes, height, skin tone, etc. I think we are in a very good place with these three races.  Like I mentioned before, however, I wish they would do something about the plastic-y look to the human type races.  They just look unnatural to me.  Hopefully these will get a repass at some point too.  Overall, great job VR.  Very good job!

• 1428 posts
    March 7, 2020 8:45 AM PST

Vandraad said:

My question is why are the Skar naked yet the other races are wearing underwear?  Do the Archai have externally visible genetalia?  They are basically made of rock.  Also, with the Skar very much having a reptilian vibe, why does the female have mammary glands?  You didn't put a #%@! or #@%s on the Gnomes.

(fake vr representative):  Hello there and thank you for your question!  It was a very tough decision to add male and female organs to some of the races, however, it was a design choice to implement this distinction.  While we understand gnomes are very much androngynous, we want player choice to matter even when it comes to choosing a sexual orientation.

As far as skar not having undergarments, that was also a design choice to highlight how truely savage the race are.

Archai actually do have genetalia, but it's not made of rock.  It would be the same consistency as the energy that glows in with the their veins.

Hopefully this addresses your curiousity when it comes to cultural aesthetics and physical functions of the body when it comes to immersion.