Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

OFFICIAL: New character models 3/5/20

• 454 posts
    March 5, 2020 9:28 PM PST

[Hullo all! Forgive me trespassin' on this OP, but we wanted an official feedback thread on these models anyway, so why re-invent tha wheel? CARRY ON, we love your comments and constructive feedback! Haven't seen 'em yet? Our March 5 DevStream is now up on YouTube, so check 'em out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ro5ZrrOniA&feature=youtu.be ~Brasse]

What does everyone think of the new Dark Myr, Skar, and Archai models?

Dark Myr - I like them I like the gills, and the ears especially.  They seem more water      based to me.  They also have more claw like fingernails.  I think they should have regular eyes.  I would keep the eye lights for the gnomes and Archai.  

Skar - I really like the Star. VR knocked it out of the park for me.   It makes me really want a Skar character now.  They look like they would rip your throat out for one copper, or maybe just for fun.  They're incredibly muscular looking.  Those faces are definitely only barely humanoid.

Archai - This is going to take some getting used to for me.  I thought the old model looked kind of regal and I liked that a lot.  The new character references a stonelike skin, which I don't care for at all.  If that belongs anywhere I would have done that to Dwarves.  I like the Archai eyes still and the glowing striations showing their influence to earth, air, fire, water.  

Oger - I'd really like to see an update to the Ogre now.

This post was edited by Deleted Member at March 6, 2020 11:07 AM PST
    • 23 posts
    March 5, 2020 9:35 PM PST
    I could be wrong I'm going off the top of my head , but I think the ogre is a updated model . With that said I would be down for a husky ogre model
    • 454 posts
    March 5, 2020 9:40 PM PST

Shoot I must have missed the ogre update.

• 557 posts
    March 6, 2020 4:23 AM PST

Questaar said:

Dark Myr - I like them I like the gills, and the ears especially.  They seem more water      based to me.  They also have more claw like fingernails.  I think they should have regular eyes.  I would keep the eye lights for the gnomes and Archai.  

I agree on the Dark Myr eyes.  On Archai and gnomes they seem to fit, but on the DM they just seem vacant.

• 3 posts
    March 6, 2020 4:45 AM PST

This is the first update that while watching I actually said "wow"...  

These models just got me really excited. I actually love the textures on the Archai.  

• 57 posts
    March 6, 2020 4:57 AM PST

Celandor said:

Questaar said:

I agree on the Dark Myr eyes.  On Archai and gnomes they seem to fit, but on the DM they just seem vacant.

I second the thought about their eyes.  Assuming a more water-based character, bioluminescence makes sense for the body, but the eyes should be large dilated pupils with secondary lids to filter the light for when above water.

• 71 posts
    March 6, 2020 5:10 AM PST

Here are the New Models for those that missed it and before you ask, yes. Dark Myr and Archai will have "hair" options as was dislosed on stream which should be reuploaded on their youtube sooner or later. Anyway here are the new race models for Skar, Archai, and Dark Myr (human form) that was shown on stream: 

• 137 posts
    March 6, 2020 5:25 AM PST
    How will the skars posture be? Will they be hunched over with a bend at the knees like we saw in the original skar remake?
    • 137 posts
    March 6, 2020 5:25 AM PST
    How will the skars posture be? Will they be hunched over with a bend at the knees like we saw in the original skar remake?
    • 12 posts
    March 6, 2020 5:55 AM PST

Beautiful Artwork!

• 1404 posts
    March 6, 2020 6:42 AM PST

Wig said: How will the skars posture be? Will they be hunched over with a bend at the knees like we saw in the original skar remake?

No bend at the knee Wig. They reported that idea was scrapped a while back as it would have required special models for all their armor. As for posture, I'm not sure.

• 137 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:10 AM PST
    I thought it was reported that the “backwards” bend at the knee was scrapped from the original skar model, along with its spikes. The new skar models that were shown in a newsletter in 2018, I think, showed them hunched over. I’m curious if they will have the same stance
    • 172 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:12 AM PST

I really loved all three reveals. 

But the skar was definitely my favorite.  Questaar was right, they look absolutely viscious and a perfect evil looking race for me.

• 2419 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:16 AM PST

Zorkon said:

Wig said: How will the skars posture be? Will they be hunched over with a bend at the knees like we saw in the original skar remake?

No bend at the knee Wig. They reported that idea was scrapped a while back as it would have required special models for all their armor. As for posture, I'm not sure.

I dont think Wig was referencing the digitigrade leg seen on the Skar class page but more how the Skar will stand with its new plantigrade legs.  They would not be standing with legs straight below them, feet approximately shoulder wide, but with knees bend, feet further apart in more of a 'ready to pounce' stance or almost down on their haunches.

I would really hate to see every race have the same walking/running gate, same human based at-rest stance, etc.

EDIT:

My question is why are the Skar naked yet the other races are wearing underwear?  Do the Archai have externally visible genetalia?  They are basically made of rock.  Also, with the Skar very much having a reptilian vibe, why does the female have mammary glands?  You didn't put a #%@! or #@%s on the Gnomes.

What is the reasoning behind these races, which come from other dimensions/worlds, having the same human male/female body structures?  I  suspect the answer is that it makes the creation of universal armor much easier.  But this brings to mind a strange disconnect.  VR spends a lot of time putting all these fiddly little bits in these zones, manipulating every piece of moss on a tree, etc to get it just right, yet these player models all seem to be the same human model run through a photocopier with the zoom setting changed and some different textures on them.

Might have it been better to put the uniqueness into the character models and the world being a bit more generic?  After all, it is the character and how it looks that people are most attracted to, taking great pride (and pains) to get their character to look like they want.  Yet here we are presented 3 races that are the same humanoid mammalian shape.

So while I appreciate the effort put into this, and the models do look great, you do realize, VR, that the players will rarely (if ever) see their characters like this  ever again?  Looking at a detailed model in a static pose is one thing, but once in game nothing will be static.  We'll be moving and, quite quickly, will be covering up those models in clothing and armor. Those super fine details on the models will be forever hidden.  Could you not have gotten away with a little less detail and achieved just as nice a character because you know it will be covered by armor nearly every playable minute?

This post was edited by Vandraad at March 6, 2020 7:40 AM PST
    • 13 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:33 AM PST

Questaar said:

Skar - I really like the Star. VR knocked it out of the park for me.   It makes me really want a Skar character now.  They look like they would rip your throat out for one copper, or maybe just for fun.  They're incredibly muscular looking.  Those faces are definitely only barely humanoid.

Right there with you. The Skar look vicious, loved how they turned out! 

The Archai was a close 2nd for me. Over all, well done!

• 430 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:40 AM PST

Thought for most part looked great . 

If I could change a few things , I'd change the Archai eyes to normal eyes as The eyes look just like the Dark Myr .

Second I would exaggerate the Dark Myr fins and webbing  a bit .. ( both the Myr and Archai seem too alike ) .

Great looking models just a few tweaks all in all awesome job .

This post was edited by Shea at March 6, 2020 7:59 AM PST
    • 557 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:40 AM PST

Vandraad said:

I would really hate to see every race have the same walking/running gate, same human based at-rest stance, etc.

That was one of the reasons I didn't really feel connected to some of the Vanguard races.  The Vulmane and Kurashasa literally looked like a human with a dog/cat head.   The Raki worked for me because the body wasn't human height and the head proportion seemed to feel more like an anthropomorphized fox than a human with a Halloween mask.

• 172 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:41 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Zorkon said:

Agreed, i would like to see the skar in a neutral stance that makes them appear to be ready to attack.

This post was edited by Aayden at March 6, 2020 7:41 AM PST
    • 172 posts
    March 6, 2020 7:44 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Zorkon said:

I dont think Wig was referencing the digitigrade leg seen on the Skar class page but more how the Skar will stand with its new plantigrade legs.  They would not be standing with legs straight below them, feet approximately shoulder wide, but with knees bend, feet further apart in more of a 'ready to pounce' stance or almost down on their haunches.

EDIT:

Also, with the Skar very much having a reptilian vibe, why does the female have mammary glands?  You didn't put a #%@! or #@%s on the Gnomes.

I dont recall all the models being final.  Also, its a fantasy video game, what does being anatomically correct really have to do with any of it?

• 62 posts
    March 6, 2020 8:04 AM PST

Celandor said:

Questaar said:

That's my only hangup as well - vacant/blank being all white.  All black would look much better, or just anything other than white.  I'm sure there will be some degree of color choices for the eyes.

Overall a really nice job.  I can't wait to see the other races, but I understand why they wanted to show off the dinstinctive ones first.

• 2038 posts
    March 6, 2020 8:38 AM PST

Good job, VR! I loved all the models. That portrait of the Skar staring straight at you is scary enough, I'd refuse to have a hard copy of it hanging on my wall. Too conducive to nightmares LoL.

The only changes I can suggest are trivial, but here they are:

Archai eyes are just perfect for them but the Dark Myr should have big, round fisheyes.

Dark Myr should have more elongated hands and feet (more like flippers) and DEFINITELY have webbing between fingers and toes.

• 1921 posts
    March 6, 2020 8:40 AM PST

Vandraad said:

...   I  suspect the answer is that it makes the creation of universal armor much easier.  But this brings to mind a strange disconnect.  VR spends a lot of time putting all these fiddly little bits in these zones, manipulating every piece of moss on a tree, etc to get it just right, yet these player models all seem to be the same human model run through a photocopier with the zoom setting changed and some different textures on them.

Might have it been better to put the uniqueness into the character models and the world being a bit more generic?  After all, it is the character and how it looks that people are most attracted to, taking great pride (and pains) to get their character to look like they want.  Yet here we are presented 3 races that are the same humanoid mammalian shape.

So while I appreciate the effort put into this, and the models do look great, you do realize, VR, that the players will rarely (if ever) see their characters like this  ever again?  Looking at a detailed model in a static pose is one thing, but once in game nothing will be static.  We'll be moving and, quite quickly, will be covering up those models in clothing and armor. Those super fine details on the models will be forever hidden.  Could you not have gotten away with a little less detail and achieved just as nice a character because you know it will be covered by armor nearly every playable minute?

Universal armor is THE reason this is being done, in my opinion.  If it wasn't, there would be artistic expression beyond the skin/surface textures & shaders.  You would see model shape/size disparities like the 1999 EQ1 Ogre vs. Gnome.
    Otherwise, I completely agree with your assessment.  Time and effort is being spent on things that ultimately don't matter, and we're 6 years in, and they just now have the ability to simulate combat rounds for testing?  I shouldn't be shocked and surprised, but that really shocked and surprised me.  Combat simulations (for roles) of tables, formulas, skills, equipment and so on should have been done in 2014 and ongoing.  If gameplay matters over graphics, why is gameplay always last, in the development of Pantheon?  Entering rant territory, so time to stop. :)

• 40 posts
    March 6, 2020 9:37 AM PST

They look great! Archai are by far my favorite, but as someone who's going to play a Skar I'd like to see bigger fans and some claws! Keep up the good work!

• 316 posts
    March 6, 2020 10:09 AM PST
    Looking even more forward to playing a Dark Myr Wizard and Skar Necro!
    • 18 posts
    March 6, 2020 10:34 AM PST

The Dark Myr's eyes and lack of hair on the models are... ehh.  Hair is fixable, but the eyes... something just isn't right there.