Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In One Word - Tell us what you think about game sequels?

• 9115 posts
    February 17, 2020 3:48 AM PST

In One Word - Tell us what you think about game sequels? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 3852 posts
    February 17, 2020 4:32 AM PST

Wonderful - if it is a game I liked and the sequel is done well. And if the old game has hit its limits so that it is not viable to put the resources into improving it instead.

• 438 posts
    February 17, 2020 5:13 AM PST
    Worrisome

If the original was amazing I tend to get high hopes for a sequel. However, if it was rushed or just overall not done well with the storyline or gameplay it will ruin it for me.
    • 291 posts
    February 17, 2020 5:34 AM PST

potential

• 238 posts
    February 17, 2020 7:11 AM PST

Awesome- as long as we are only referring to console entries and not MMOs.

I think this question comes down to what are we classifying as sequel content and what industry are we discussing. 

In terms of MMOs expansions are technically sequels. In this context, I would use the word "Cautionary"  as poorly planned/executed expansions can leave a black mark on the game and the ever-increasing level cap can eventually lead to player fatigue.

If we are talking about games like EQ2 or GW2 these are less of a sequel, in my opinion, and more of a reimagination of the world.  I would also use the word "Cautionary" here, but for a different reason. Games like these installments already have a targeted player base and if the reimagination of the world and systems within the world are so removed from the original then the existing player base may feel wronged/ or out in the cold.

If we are talking about games that are more like spinoffs such as ESO and FFXIV I would yet again use the world "Cautionary". With these games not only do you have a targeted player base (the console players) but you have mechanics that transfer from console game into the MMO environment which does not always lead to a good MMO experience. To give an example FFXIV has heavily scripted fights which are almost a reflection of the console games, these heavily scripted fights end up forcing healers into a DPS role when there is no damage going out, much like the console games. There is a key difference between a console experience and an MMO experience though. In an MMO you have people who like to specialize in a given role and excel at that role, whereas in a console game the player has full control over all the characters and there is no aspect of role specialization. I personally stopped playing this because as a healer I was expected to DPS more than I was expected to heal and DPSing as a healer lacked aspects of strategic gameplay. 

• 627 posts
    February 17, 2020 7:45 AM PST
    For mmo id rather have an infinint amount of expancions :)
    • 557 posts
    February 17, 2020 8:31 AM PST

Ambivalent

It's too much of a crapshoot to say with one word.  Some sequels have been great.  Others have been huge disappointments.   The sequel needs to prove itself independent of the original.

• 77 posts
    February 17, 2020 10:11 AM PST

Profits

• 133 posts
    February 17, 2020 10:12 AM PST

Depends

I find myself saying that a lot on these types of questions, but that's truly what I think on them. It all depends. Some games have had amazing firsts and terrible seconds, some games have had awful firsts and amazing seconds. Some have even had terrible first and second games, and the third is the best. I guess this could be applied to not just games but movies and books as well. It truly just depends for me. I have read some books that while I loved the first, I felt that the second one in the series just fell short for me; and same with some movies. If we are talking about MMOs specifically, I would have to say I don't think I have really seen a sequel to one, aside from GW and GW2. I played a bit of GW, and I got into the beta for GW2, so I have to say that I find the sequel better in this case...but I don't really think MMOs really require sequels.

I guess if the game is losing life and player base, then a sequel could be in order, but people tend to get stuck into the MMOs they play and I have noticed that when certain players leave one type of MMO for another, they tend to compare it a lot to the one they left and in turn sometimes just end up going back to the one they left before; unable to adapt or even find enjoyment in the game. I'm not saying this happens to everyone, but I usually see it in people that have played one MMO for their whole MMO gaming career. In this case, I think MMOs do better without a sequel in most cases, but again it all depends. If they have enough content and do enough to keep people there, what with expansions new features being added, problem features being taken out, new content and whatnot, then they really don't need to have one.

In short, I truly all depends.

• 2419 posts
    February 17, 2020 10:23 AM PST

Uninmaginative.

• 1428 posts
    February 17, 2020 10:24 AM PST

i like how some people put a one word then have to use more words to explain it lol.

one word is not enough for this question XD

sequels from different perspectives have different meanings.

from an investor pov, it's the easiest cash grab milking consumers.

from a consumer pov, it's hype for story progression.

from a dev, well depends on whether they lean towards milking grabbing(short term gain long term loss) or story progression(long term gain short term loss)

my one word?

YEET!

• 768 posts
    February 17, 2020 10:33 AM PST

Kilsin said:

In One Word - Tell us what you think about game sequels? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Innovative/Recognition

Baldur said it perfectly really. Positioning this question into the MMORPG content..,as I assume that's what that blasted # is for, it's additional content or world that is build onto or heavily sourced from an already excisting world. 

A sequel to a game, in strict view, would mean that a previous game has run it's course and has reached the end of the line. A sequel to that is aimed to shift the playerbase of the previous game onto this new product and with the hope of grasping some new players doing so. This sequel should have various elements that can be linked to that 'retired' game. What those elements are, doesn't matter to me, as long as I can clearly link it to that previous game. 

I think that actual game sequels are highly addictive, in the sense that the treshold to try it out (if you've played the earlier game before) is very low. So I will try out sequels of games, newer versions or updated versions of that older game. Just to experience the difference, would be the bare minimum motivator. If the sequel is to my liking, I'll let it grow on me.   However, sequels that have changed too severly, can actually push players who were used to the older version away from the sequel itself. Purely because they've grown to enjoy that old version's good and less good aspects. 

A good sequel to a game, recalls and safeguards the characteristics of the older game they are building on. These characteristics can be specific features, graphics, UI, art styles or classes. If you drop the ball there, you'll see less players trying out this sequel as the gap to connect or reconnect or feel familiar with this sequel is too great.

This post was edited by Barin999 at February 17, 2020 10:33 AM PST
    • 1785 posts
    February 17, 2020 12:57 PM PST

I must agree with Baldur here.  Awesome/Cautionary.

• 1273 posts
    February 17, 2020 1:25 PM PST

Expectations

• 945 posts
    February 17, 2020 3:11 PM PST

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    https://youtu.be/1Pu1adxqUAg?t=29

This post was edited by Darch at February 17, 2020 3:12 PM PST
    • 363 posts
    February 19, 2020 9:26 AM PST

Ranarius said:

Expectations

I think this says it best. I personally look forward to sequels, but I expect them to not stray too far from what made the original great.

• 159 posts
    February 20, 2020 1:35 AM PST

Ambivalent

• 87 posts
    February 20, 2020 6:18 AM PST

90% caution due to moneygrab,to fast development,sloppy everything. 10% suprise,enyojment

• 7 posts
    February 20, 2020 7:30 PM PST

Ok.

Fine with game sequels. As long as they're done well.

• 2138 posts
    February 20, 2020 9:51 PM PST

Myst

(Rivven and a new one maybe? by the same folks)

Oh! toss up, could have said Portal, too.

This post was edited by Manouk at February 20, 2020 9:52 PM PST
    • 643 posts
    February 24, 2020 7:48 PM PST

Meh

• 2756 posts
    February 24, 2020 10:56 PM PST

Unecessary?

Especially with the way MMORPGs play and with modern development techniques, I would much prefer a game to keep expanding and updating.

• 107 posts
    February 25, 2020 10:51 AM PST
    Ehh.
    • 287 posts
    February 25, 2020 1:41 PM PST

Usually disappointed

• 520 posts
    February 26, 2020 7:50 AM PST

Double-edged sword. If done correctly it can be really awsome (I especially love single-player games with save import option from the previous "part" - where your choices (more or less) mattered - like The Witcher, The Legend of Heroes, Suikoden) - but they usually work great when sequels were planned from the beginning. If the sequel is made only becouse a game was successful, then it's frequently underwhelming. If we are talking about Pantheon specifically then I'd say put your effort into expanding and prolonging the life of this game as long as possible and when it's time to move on start completely new project.