Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dungeun maker

• 79 posts
    January 13, 2020 1:40 PM PST

Do you guys think its possibile to  have a dungeun maker, that doesnt turn to  poop? either nerfed to death and un used or abused. i thought perhaps that it could  be something like  Ldons, charm all you get is exp and  charm growth . have player gms police dungeuns and require a min lvl lof  50 or something to create dungeuns.Or maybe you get more  charactor options hair,scars and such.. Has anyone puilled off a successful dungeun maker in a mmorpg? I  tried eq2s and found out it got nerfed so much no one uses it, a shame really.

• 1479 posts
    January 13, 2020 1:47 PM PST

The game is planned to have Zero instancing, so I don't see how a dungeon builder would work here.

• 2419 posts
    January 13, 2020 2:00 PM PST

I would not trust players to make dungeons, especifically if it also involved placement of NPCs and making their loot tables.  Players cannot be trusted with such power.

That said, if (and only if) VR were to release an expansion (some day years down the line) similar in nature to  EQ1's Lost Dungeons of Norrath where instead of the server assembling a dungeon from X number of pre-assembled blocks players could take those same blocks and submit their own I could support that.  They key part is that these pre-assembled blocks would have pre-set NPCs and loot tables.  Players could only submit the layout design, nothing more.

• 520 posts
    January 13, 2020 2:04 PM PST

Pledge 10k and you can take part in designing a dungeon ;-) 

I definitely wouldn't want players to have free control over designing dungeons. 

I would love however if devs would make the designing tool  available for community. Some people are extremally talented and if the project is approved by devs it could be added to the game at some point.

No instancing though.

This post was edited by Hegenox at January 13, 2020 2:51 PM PST
    • 560 posts
    January 13, 2020 2:41 PM PST

I am assuming you are talking about LDONS like dungeon maker and not giving player the option to hand craft a dungeon. I do not have time to explain what Lost Dungeons of Norath added to EQ but someone else I am sure can to those that did not play EQ or did not play long enough to see that expansion.

So, assuming I understand the basic concept of the idea I am a soft no. I felt that it worked in EQ for a couple of reasons. 1st it was late in the game and there was so much content that it was easy to find space that was empty. Because of this people did not seem to swarm to them. 2nd they might have had good rewards but better rewards could be found elsewhere.

When they were released in EQ I played in them for a bit and I enjoyed them. I just have a thing against instances though and would rather see as little instancing as possible.

This post was edited by Susurrus at January 13, 2020 2:42 PM PST
    • 41 posts
    January 13, 2020 10:31 PM PST
    never played eq but player designed dungeon scream "abuse" into my face.
    • 2756 posts
    January 14, 2020 4:37 AM PST

Player designed dungeons works for a whole different kind of game.

Also, player housing is difficult enough to develop.  I wouldn't want to see VR take any time over something like that, no, sorry.

• 500 posts
    January 14, 2020 5:42 AM PST

Gotta go with a hard no myself.  Leave the dungeon design to the devs.

• 3852 posts
    January 14, 2020 6:42 AM PST

Player made dungeons - instanced dungeons - can work in Pantheon, contrary to the prevailing view. They may be neither necessary nor desirable, but they would be entirely workable if VR so-desired. How? Simple.

Have them as an expanded version of the sparring that many games permit. Things to use to try things out but with neither experience nor loot permitted to be gained. Just for practice and fun. If someone does a great dungeon - good. If someone does a crappy dungeon - so what? They are simply entertainment for the maker and the participant of no slightest relevance to Terminus itself or to the character's progression therethrough.

I am not saying I want VR to spend any time making this possible but the concept is not troublesome to me as long as the character gets nothing whatsoever out of the dungeon other than a time-sink.

• 1428 posts
    January 14, 2020 8:37 AM PST

i would design a dungeon like a battle royale(pvp zoned)

teams would run around looting weapons and armour(seperated from actual gear which can't be used)

if they died they'd lose the loot and are lootable when dead.

it's an undead monster that draws the lifeforce in(the ring of death)

the last team standing gets to fight the biggest pve boss.

2nd place gets to fight the side boss

3rd place gets to fight the minions.

other participants that died will turn into spirits and can fight in the realm of souls.  (they can choose to leave or get pooled together in a huge raffle draw for loot.)  the more they do in the realm of souls the higher the chance of getting loot.  something simple like pacman collecting and dumping it in well.

• 2886 posts
    January 15, 2020 2:56 PM PST

On the Pantheon Difference, "Player-run dungeons and regions" is listed as a "future feature." Notice it does say "player-run" and not "player-made" so it may be something different. And as far as I know, they haven't expanded at all on what it even means. Probably because it's too early to really talk details as things will change and maybe it ends up being one of those things that's better in theory than in practice. Pantheon is built on lore from the ground up. And as soon as players are put in charge of content (whether by making it or "running" it, whatever that entails) who don't know nearly as much about the lore, there's a big risk that the cohesiveness of the lore will start to fall apart. But I at least understand the allure of getting players more involved and taking some of the pressure off of the devs to run all of the content, which is the single biggest bottleneck in MMOs. I know they have at least expressed some interest in trying something like that before. But again, that's so far off it's not worth worrying about right now.

• 560 posts
    January 15, 2020 3:37 PM PST

LDON was essentially an instant dungeon with some random elements. If you did the same one 4 times it started to feel the same so it was hardly even random. Seeing as the OP used LDON as part of the example I would be very surprised if the intention was for players to make dungeons design. I took make as in enter an instance hence make dungeon.

So I am a little confused on the responses that suggest that was the intent of the OP. Hard to say with out Quseio2017 clarifying.

• 145 posts
    January 16, 2020 3:47 AM PST

i think that player run dungeons where i get to be the mastermind aka dungeon master choosin when to send waves of monsters or spring traps on people sounds cool! just an idea how likely i havent the faintest

This post was edited by stonetothebone85 at January 16, 2020 3:47 AM PST
    • 238 posts
    January 16, 2020 1:02 PM PST

I have limited experience with player-made dungeons, but fom my understanding they tend to be instanced based. Pantheon is a fairly open-world environment with the exception of zone lines. I'm not really sure that player-made content has a place in Pantheon under this design mentality. 

I will also say that the standard of quality of player-made content can very. In my experience with this type of content, I have played through some really well thought out, and awesomely designed player-driven scenarios. However. I have also experienced some extremely low-quality player-driven content that made little sense in its story progression, lacked direction, or was generally so off the wall it lead to an immersion break. 

I saw that Bazgrim referenced player ran content and this sounds a bit different from player-created content. However, without more information on this system and the influence that players will have it's too early to speculate what impact it will have on the gaming experience.