Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In game tributes to Aradune.

• 58 posts
    November 19, 2019 9:47 PM PST

A few gathered in McQuaid's tavern in Halas on P99 (teal) this evening to tip an ale to Aradune.

Rest in Peace, Brad. 

• 48 posts
    November 20, 2019 1:26 AM PST

I do hope there is something permanent placed in Pantheon in memory of not only Aradune, but Mcquaid as well.

Possibly could be the " Dekerd Cain " of Pantheon wise and counted on by everyone?

• 2756 posts
    November 20, 2019 1:33 AM PST

Wyvernspur said:

A few gathered in McQuaid's tavern in Halas on P99 (teal) this evening to tip an ale to Aradune.

Rest in Peace, Brad. 

That's actually really good to hear.  I don't doubt there will be many such virtual gatherings in the coming days.

• 124 posts
    November 20, 2019 3:25 AM PST

Docka said:

I do hope there is something permanent placed in Pantheon in memory of not only Aradune, but Mcquaid as well.

Possibly could be the " Dekerd Cain " of Pantheon wise and counted on by everyone?

Given this incredibly sad news, it's only fitting that Brad be immortalized in-game. I'm sure this was likely to happen anyway, but I felt the need to add my support for this statement.

A classic EQ model of Aradune, on a plinth in the city centre, perhaps?

Rest In Peace Aradune!

• 520 posts
    November 20, 2019 3:31 AM PST

I'm thinking a zone with the massive monument in his honor, Aradune NPC and a good piece of lore connected to him.

• 133 posts
    November 20, 2019 4:14 AM PST

I have not posted here in sometime, but events around us shape the world we live, and pull off the cozy blanket we snuggle in to. The passing of Brad is like a freight train flying off the track in that scene in Super 8, you just stand around watching the carnage. You can lose your self within the wreck, grief and sadness, or you can go back in time…..

I am pushing 50, growing up then as a geek was a totally different time, no Big Bang Theory, to make it endearing to be one. The jocks pushed you around, the girls subbed their noses and the pretty boys whipped their hair in your face. But through it all, there was something growing, something that brought us together, and made us a community.

Gaming.

Huddled around a table with books, dice, and back then monopoly icons representing the heroes about to do battle with the next goblin, ogre or dragon. There we formed and solidified the relationships that allowed us to forge on, stronger and more pure than any formed around the smoking area behind the school. The next logical step to the table, was the cyberspace, extending our social reach beyond the next block, city, or province. Where friendships would be forged on who you were, not who you looked like.

I think back to those who made this possible, who allowed me to make some of the strongest friendships forged in steel and honed by adventures and conquests.

Gary Gygax – Without him, there would be no adventures. From a humble start with Chainmail, that soon laid the foundation for Dungeons and Dragons. The stonework, all these houses were built.

Jeff Easley – The man who gave form to those adventures, the man who made the imaginary, real.

Danielle Bunten Berry (Dan Paul Bunten) – Some people made CRPGs and some people laid the ground work for them, M.U.L.E.. “No one ever said on their death bed they wished they had spent more time with their computer, its about the people. DUH”

Sid Meier – Civilization, need I say more? Civ IV was a mainstay of our gaming time, and the game I played with my friends when we all moved apart.

Brad McQuaid - Everquest the international glue, that brought the world together. I have often said EQ was a good game, but it was an incredible social network. I can’t count the number of hours I played EQ on Morrell-Thule in those early days, adventuring with friends from the farthest reaches of the planet, one of which still comes to Canada yearly from France to visit… Now that’s a fitting legacy to Brad’s vision. Though Vanguard never got accolades, for those of us who played it to the end, nothing will ever compare to the world Brad created, the people it brought together.

You will be missed Brad, but more important than the end, was the journey. Thanks the visionaries like Brad, I had a place to escape, a place to find and forge friendships that allow one to grow. Today we want to grieve for the loss, but what you need to do it go back in time, relive those adventures in the mind’s eye, relive that moment you first found yourself in Neriak, lost, no idea what to do next….. To this day, decades later, nothing has matched that event, when my EQ veteran friend knowing it was me, walked up to be spinning in circles at the Priest of Discord saying “So this must be the homoramp”.

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Brad. SOE Live 2013, Brains and Brawn was the largest guild from Vanguard to take part. I met so many great people, developers, but most of all I got to meet and discuss MMO gaming and its future with one of its earliest architects. One of my icons.

To your EverQuest Brad, may your adventures never cease, may Aradune conquer. Someday, Exmortis will take up arms again, and we bring forth so many friends….

Exmortis

“Scott Sheedy”

• 1019 posts
    November 20, 2019 4:56 AM PST

Hegenox said:

I'm thinking a zone with the massive monument in his honor, Aradune NPC and a good piece of lore connected to him.

Naa, I'd rather "find" Aradune in the game somewhere.  Walking, a quest giver or something where he'd be an actually integral part of the path of your character.

• 291 posts
    November 20, 2019 5:09 AM PST

Kittik said:

Hegenox said:

Naa, I'd rather "find" Aradune in the game somewhere.  Walking, a quest giver or something where he'd be an actually integral part of the path of your character.

First thing that flew to my mind reading this was a ghost like npc that disappears and reappears as steps are completed on a timeline/epic type quest.

• 520 posts
    November 20, 2019 5:48 AM PST

Kittik said:

Hegenox said:

That's what I meant by "Aradune NPC" though - don't know what role he would play though, but he would be epic. The things I've mentioned would be separate from each other - not that Aradune would be found in "Aradunes Rest". Possibilities are numerous if not nearly limitless - I just hope devs will follow one/couple of them.

This post was edited by Hegenox at November 20, 2019 5:52 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    November 20, 2019 6:33 AM PST

I hope they are able to put something into PROTF as a tribute to him.

• 2138 posts
    November 20, 2019 7:34 AM PST

I would cry if I found a small charicature, or stumbled upon an old marker with Aradune on it or an etching with a faint 8 bit Midi of the EQ opening tune playing. But that might take away from the world, too many people would hear about it and use it to drop off old gear or leave stuff it would become a sort of pilgramige.

Maybe just pantheon itelf is enough

• 671 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:46 AM PST

I met Brad 21 years ago in the early phases of Everquest's beta. And have had many in-depth discussions with him on character development, mechanics, etc over the many years. I have supported & fostered Brad's passion over these last 20 years, as his Vision has fueled my own. He was a great Visionary and I am brought to tears thinking of what we've lost.

I am completely exhuasted at hearing this news. I have no words for how I am feeling right now....     

RIP Aradune !!

Amin khiluva lle a' gurtha ar' thar

-Sylvain

• 1247 posts
    November 20, 2019 9:08 AM PST

I cried when I heard. I am very angry today. Memories of Northern Lights of Halas on the good team (SZ). Thank you for your tribute to him. 

This post was edited by Syrif at November 20, 2019 9:11 AM PST
    • 70 posts
    November 20, 2019 11:09 AM PST

In the main inn of Thronefast, there is an NPC behind the bar with a faroff look in his eyes ...

"Aradune Bradley, Bartender at your service"

He tells stories of old legends and lore when you tip him.

The more you tip him, the better your chances of hearing one of his long-lost tales of his own adventuring.

Even rumors of long-abandoned ancient armor and other wild tales may be hinted at by him.

You also notice a chest behind him with what seems like ... a faint red glow coming from inside.

This post was edited by redgiant at November 20, 2019 11:09 AM PST
    • 88 posts
    November 20, 2019 11:34 AM PST
    Pantheon should definitely launch on 11/18
    • 114 posts
    November 20, 2019 2:48 PM PST

I posted in another thread that I would like to see an Aradune epic quest of some sort put in.  Have the quest with easter eggs about what he has done, or even have a bard give the quest telling of Aradune's mighty deeds and what he meant to people and so on, and as a final reward, let there be a visual buff for the main/offhand weapons making them flame like Aradune's Firey Avengers. Have the buff be named Aradune's Blessing, or something along those lines, along with a title of Knight/Lady of Aradune or something.

Nothing overpowering, but he NEEDS to be recognized in no small way for all he has done in his life for us, his fans. 

I love the idea of having a major god named after him....just make it something major and meaningful, and not trite. No statues, no inns, no memorial gravestones out in the middle of nowhere. Make it meaningful, poignant, and part of the very fabric of Terminus itself.

Finally, I would like to see the day be recognized each year in Terminus...perhaps as a permanent holiday of Remembrance or a day to celebrate Aradune the "god" of dreams or the muse of creativity etc...

• 11 posts
    November 20, 2019 4:22 PM PST

I think there are lots of wonderful Ideas in here. Normally I'm full of ideas myself, but today...well today I find myself full of grief and unable to wrench my mind free of it. Hats off to you Bard, you will be missed more than you can know.

• 58 posts
    November 20, 2019 8:04 PM PST

Great ideas here; makes me think of a vision-enhancing spell: Eyes of Aradune.

His was the vision in Visionary Realms.  

• 40 posts
    November 21, 2019 12:08 AM PST

Brad was all about encouraging people to explore. I would love to see lots of little things that could be refrences to Brad.

You stumble upon a long abandoned campsite perhaps something left that points at who set that site up, or that tree you past 100 times, that one day you go "ohh hang on whats written there", and scrawled on the trunk is his initials.

A bit of wall graffitti. You wander for miles of track and find a recipt for armour with his name on.

Little things they can be subtle or not.

For me the little things in game are important its what pulls it all togther it would give me the warm and fuzzies seeing things like that in game and in every expansion pack, as Pantheon is going to have loads.

Brad was the adventurer that went before us and left his mark along his route.Would love to find his trail in game.  /cheers Brad 

This post was edited by Akahai at November 21, 2019 12:08 AM PST
    • 768 posts
    November 25, 2019 11:26 PM PST

Suggestions (no need to take any personal, just listing ideas here)

- Similar like the Red Rose analogy of Da Vinci Code... his name or symbol could be present on stepping stones all around Terminus. (an entire quest or story can be written around it)

- Exploration and cooperation could be pillars in a evergrowing quest, where Aradune would be the Green Walker that the player can follow his footsteps. This could lead the player all through Terminus and all upcoming expansions. This would not be a solo quest but really a continous endavour to where cooperation is necessary to keep up with the Green Walker's path. At times the player can be rewarded by lore stories unique to the Green Walker and the current location. His experience in Terminus could be told as the mystical Walker that is a pioneer traversing every corner of Terminus as 'the first player' to discover/encounter all what Terminus has to offer.

- A league or organisation (npc race?) of Mithara could be residing on Terminus, honouring their leader; Aradune. Players could explore the content of this faction by quest, adventure, tradeskill. With enough faction one might be able to obtain a class-fitting green outfit. Where only Aradune would be the one owning the flaming swords. No one would be able to wield them beside him.

- The "Aradune" could be a force on Terminus that empowers the world without chosing a side for good or bad. All are equal and can tap for this force. It might be an ancient Celestial being that came crashing down  (or landing) on Terminus. Terminus soaked up this Celestial power like a dry sponge. From the core of the planet, this power would spread like waterbasin into countless creeks and streams into all direction of the planet. And with each alien body connecting with Terminus, another stream of Aradune would penetrate this new body. 

- Aradune could be a geographical range on Terminus. Similar like a mountain range or tundra steppes. The lore explaining this unique landscape could speak of a Ranger/God/entity that loved to linger in this area and over time the environment shaped itself to his liking. As players encounter this terrain, they would enter the "Aradune".

- An old race of worshippers could exist on Terminus. Their banner being a flaming sword in front of a green background. This npc faction could be omnipresent. Where players would be able to encounter them and via lore they would explore content that at the very least requires groups to continue and cover its effects. This faction is known for their eagerness to explore and create new lands and oceans. As expansions are added this faction could be found, when players seek it ofc. Not obvious but with effort players would be able to encounter this faction. A pioneering npc faction that speaks the first few tales and legends of lore of the new lands.

- A lighter suggestion would be; a cup of Aradune ale to be drunk in group and is found in every tavern. Giving a temporary green aura to players or items. Or perhaps a short period flame on their primary weapon. Providing players a light in the dark.

• 213 posts
    November 26, 2019 11:38 AM PST
    I’d love to be able to place a bouquet of flowers at a monument for him but I also think he deserves a lot of cameos in the game. Love to see special buffs or see him as a guiding spirit somewhere I don’t know I just hope there is many places for him in this game
    • 3016 posts
    November 26, 2019 11:45 AM PST

I was in shock when I first heard the news..it was like a slap across the head.  Didn't believe it...thought someone was passing a nasty rumour to troll.   But I did some searches, and sadly it was true.   I have played Mr. McQuaid's online games for upwards of 20 years.   This in my books is a HUGE loss to the gaming community...my deepest condolences to Brad's Family..the VR team and to the gamers that cared,  that includes me.      Rest in peace Brad,  Fly with the Angels...you will be deeply missed,  but not forgotten.  :(

Canadina

• 520 posts
    November 27, 2019 12:40 AM PST

What if Aradune turned to be one of the following from the lore (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJSOt6nOBG4): "Power of Unknown Origin", one of the War Wizards OR "Mysterious Figure" 

• 31 posts
    December 31, 2019 1:13 PM PST

I like all these ideas, throwing in one I think would be mutually beneficial. I would love to have as a keepsake, a3D model of  Brads character, Aradune. its Not hard, can even be farmed out, to a 3D fabricator for bulk resale On the VR store online.