Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

"New Class" and Game Demo

• 139 posts
    November 11, 2019 6:31 AM PST

Keepers could be like the grey wardens in DA:O. Keepers could take a ritual that binds them into conflict with an ancient foe. Because of this, they are affected differently to normal players while fighting the foe. Maybe their skills or class abilities are slower to progress, or they react to lighting and climate differently to normal players. Perhaps they can only bind themselves to specific locations. Maybe they become sick due to reasons. 

• 2138 posts
    November 11, 2019 6:43 AM PST

What someone is called if they have a high perception skill, wether it be sage or grand poohbah, is irrelevant regarding the class. If a different title is chosen by the devs for each class, it will just be that and for lore purposes I think, so your wizards will be sages, and your warriors will be grand poobahs but both titles will mean highest perception skill. For the sake of simplicity, perhaps just keep one name for both? and wizards and warriors will both be sages.

From what I understand Perception is not necessary to advance in game, rather it is a personal character choice what perception clues they want to tune into as they play the game. In the one example of the woman crying in an earlier stream. Say you are in a group, you are a dark myr and like the lead character in that stream you hear the crying and run by- who has time for humans wasting the salty gift of syronai- but the pally in the group stops and inquires. 

You didnt miss anything. However if you run with the pally to the cave that the crying woman was suggesting, it is you that picks up on the perception hint of the hidden key near the fallen piller and the others do not. Once you get the key all are "flagged" per se- as Aradune clearly showed in the Jim Lee stream- to open that door. even though you did not get the perception hint to go to the cave, you did get the perception hint about the key and the group benefited from both even though other member sin the group may not have received any perception hints at all.

Later on you may get perception hints regarding ability to find things that no other may get. My understanding is its a way to have your story told on the environment and by the environment that is personal- as much as it can be. Again, a new thing not going to be perfect, but as individualized as possible. 

What I think Joppa was pointing out was a gatekeeper functionality built into the perception system based on ability: to prevent someone from being bootstrapped or following the same path as someone with a higher perception ability that received a higher clue- Like a guild clearing fear and getting newbie casters in to loot apothic armor giving them an unintended advantage. The newbie casters would not be able to get into fear because they have not progressed enough in perception to even know that the gate to fear exists- this is my assumption of the example.

• 47 posts
    November 11, 2019 3:09 PM PST

Manouk said:

From what I understand Perception is not necessary to advance in game, rather it is a personal character choice what perception clues they want to tune into as they play the game. 

Nearly everything you say in the post, goes against this sentence you also stated.  If I run passed a women crying, and I chose to do something about it - I can guarantee I'm going to get 1. Experience and 2. A reward.  So I am advancing my character.  I can personally not think of a single reason not to be a keeper.  

• 346 posts
    November 11, 2019 10:15 PM PST

"I know this was filmed prior to the release of the teaser, so perhaps this is what he was talking about; but then why not call it a teaser - why call it a demo?"

Because it's likely an issue of semantics. Demo is short for 'demonstration' and is used rather ubiquitously for a multitude of purposes. In this case, the teaser is a demonstration of a sliver of what they've worked on with regard to Project Faerthale.

This post was edited by Janus at November 11, 2019 10:16 PM PST
    • 47 posts
    November 12, 2019 12:13 AM PST

Janus said:

"I know this was filmed prior to the release of the teaser, so perhaps this is what he was talking about; but then why not call it a teaser - why call it a demo?"

Because it's likely an issue of semantics. Demo is short for 'demonstration' and is used rather ubiquitously for a multitude of purposes. In this case, the teaser is a demonstration of a sliver of what they've worked on with regard to Project Faerthale.

I understand your point on this - but we don't see any of the UI elements or anything; which he said we would.  So that is why I didn't think he was talking about that.

• 2138 posts
    November 13, 2019 7:30 PM PST

Talint said:

Manouk said:

From what I understand Perception is not necessary to advance in game, rather it is a personal character choice what perception clues they want to tune into as they play the game. 

Nearly everything you say in the post, goes against this sentence you also stated.  If I run passed a women crying, and I chose to do something about it - I can guarantee I'm going to get 1. Experience and 2. A reward.  So I am advancing my character.  I can personally not think of a single reason not to be a keeper.  

No I dont think so, Taking the video from the point you mentioned in your post, and on up to about 46:00 my interpretation in the body of my post is close to what Joppa is saying.

As far as player "writing their own story" from perception queues - which is where I based my sentence you quoted- thats from the stream with the grey boxes, I forget which one.

• 2756 posts
    November 14, 2019 1:21 AM PST

Talint said:

Manouk said:

But do you get *as much* XP and rewards by reading and clicking through the storyline - following the quest - travelling about - talking to opther NPCs - solving a mystery - clicking a puzzle - etc, as you would from just ignoring that and fighting the nearby monsters?

What VR have said it that you wont miss out on any important/vital encounters if you're not a Keeper.  I believe it was said that you would still see the dialog for the NPC - you might even still get a quest but not get all the lore detail and a 'fun' (if you like that kind of thing) storyline to follow through.

The way I hear it, being a Keeper is for if you are interested in the lore more than most people and the are the kind that likes to explore everything there is to explore and know everything there is to know.  It might well be you get extra clues and info to be able to find NPCs that would then give out a quest to you but also any non-Keeper that happens to stumble over it.

Some people just aren't interested in that detailed lore and will just fight the monsters and that could be just as fast a way to progress or even faster.  Historically and traditionally grinding in the most lucrative spots is the best way to advance with both XP and gear.  Unremarkable, but efficient.  I'm not hearing that being a Keeper would be better than that.

This post was edited by disposalist at November 14, 2019 1:23 AM PST
    • 11 posts
    November 14, 2019 3:21 PM PST

Talint said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoFAaY5LLc8

I just wanted to touch on some things from the recent Faerthale teaser stream that I have not seen anyone mention.  I thought they were pretty huge slips; but for some reason, no one has been talking about them.  Maybe I misunderstood them and I'm the one that is over thinking them.  But I suppose discussion here will determine that.

At 43:22 a question is brought up reference the perception system in groups.  Mr. Perkins begins addressing it and a few moments later addresses the perception system having levels.  Then the bomb shell is dropped.  He talks about a visionary or a sage.  From my understanding of what he is saying this would be a title.  However, what does this mean in terms of ability.  Only the ability to discover the world?  Or would an Enchanter become a Visionary; or a Wizard become a Sage?  I just find it... different... that a Warrior could have the title of Sage or whatever the title ends up being - if it's just a title.  Could it be that all we've been shown is a base class that will branch into subsets once you begin leveling your "keeper"?

At around 31:20, during Jared's video - when he's talking about the mechanism of the perception system - he states "when you see Project Faerthale demo".  Coh picks up on it right away.  He gets all wide-eyed.  However, nothing is ever brought up on this again.  I know this was filmed prior to the release of the teaser, so perhaps this is what he was talking about; but then why not call it a teaser - why call it a demo?  Also, during the teaser, there is no gameplay footage, which Jared would have known most likely.  So I find it hard to believe he was referencing the teaser.  Thoughts?

It seems simple to me. It would be something like "Primary Title - Name | Surname - Perception/Crafting Title". Layer it like this: Warden Dammodred Fuzzyfeet the Visionary. EQ has some things like this. If they added flavor titles for Perception with variance across the races/classes that would be cool too.

As far as why NOT to choose to be a keeper here are my thoughts. We too often view things that provide quests or advance a lore/story path as necessary for progression. At least we do with modern MMOs. I view it more like an alternate path. Most of my friends won't care one wink about Pereception or want any more "quests" or pop-ups than absolutely necessary and some want none. They just want to fight. So if you group up and fight you'll likely level faster than if you're taking time to discover, read, and advance your keeper path. This is definitely going to take time away from raw leveling or gear aquisition. Any rewards it garners will likely not superscede general mob killing, farming, dungeon runs etc. It will more likely bolster your character slowly over time.

• November 15, 2019 9:30 AM PST
    I may be way off, but I'm curious if a group/guild member with certain perception level may be required to unlocking high tier zones, raids or other content. Might be interesting. In any case the potential for added world immersion is great!
    • 139 posts
    November 15, 2019 9:34 AM PST

I think perception helps you find stuff anyone can stumble upon. That's at least what I thought. Might be wrong. 

• 2756 posts
    November 15, 2019 9:50 AM PST

FlushingToiletScreamingShower said: I may be way off, but I'm curious if a group/guild member with certain perception level may be required to unlocking high tier zones, raids or other content. Might be interesting. In any case the potential for added world immersion is great!

I'm sure at some point I read dev comment saying that *not* using the system wouldn't exclude you from anything important, so I doubt it will be for any kind of 'keying' of anything major, but I still think it can add to immersion because it will open up storylines about the world you might otherwise have missed the detail of or maybe missed completely.

This post was edited by disposalist at November 15, 2019 9:51 AM PST
    • 1584 posts
    November 15, 2019 11:57 AM PST

disposalist said:

FlushingToiletScreamingShower said: I may be way off, but I'm curious if a group/guild member with certain perception level may be required to unlocking high tier zones, raids or other content. Might be interesting. In any case the potential for added world immersion is great!

I'm sure at some point I read dev comment saying that *not* using the system wouldn't exclude you from anything important, so I doubt it will be for any kind of 'keying' of anything major, but I still think it can add to immersion because it will open up storylines about the world you might otherwise have missed the detail of or maybe missed completely.

Yeah, pretty much what i read as well, where the preception system can get you to places and earn different quests than someone who doesn't do it or isn't high enough, but not to the point where you'll feel you will have to do it, unless of course your a completionist, which than it will feel that way.

This post was edited by Cealtric at November 15, 2019 12:09 PM PST