Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Interested to know more about the current state of classes

• 3 posts
    November 9, 2019 4:57 AM PST

I haven't been following Pantheon for nearly 2 years now but I just saw the latest Faerthale stuff and I'm very impressed. I've read the information about the classes on the website and the wiki, but I was hoping maybe some of the testers that are playing the pre-alpha could share their experience with the classes.

So for the testers out there, what can you tell me about the classes you've played? What is their general playstyle? What do you like about them most? What do you hope to see improved on?

For me personally, I'm really interested in learning more about the Paladin and Warrior simply because I'm thinking about playing a high mitigation tank class. I've learned a little about the warrior from the gameplay streams I've seen, but I haven't found much info about the Paladin.

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking forward to learning more about all the classes and how far they've come in the development process.

EDIT: So I was reminded that pre-alpha testers can't discuss the state of the classes due to an NDA.

Perhaps instead of discussing specifics, maybe we can talk about the class fantasy and philosophy behind each class?

This post was edited by Etheom at November 9, 2019 2:41 PM PST
    • 139 posts
    November 9, 2019 5:26 AM PST

Hello. The current Pre-alpha testers are under a non-disclosure agreement so they couldn't tell you even if they wanted too... 

..but Cohcarnage has done many in-game live streams of Pantheon, Here, that might give you an idea of the classes. 

Bazgrim has done an interview with Chris Perkins Here, about classes. 

This post was edited by Doford at November 9, 2019 5:34 AM PST
    • 3 posts
    November 9, 2019 5:43 AM PST

Ah I didn't even think about that. Well that's a bummer! Thanks for the links I'll check this out.

• 627 posts
    November 9, 2019 6:22 AM PST
    VR last news video had plenty of race info. Passive skilles for each race. Mayby that info could still your craving a bit :)
    • 239 posts
    November 9, 2019 9:49 AM PST
    I could be wrong. ( usually am ) but I would think the class balances would be much further down the road in development. I think they have a pretty good idea but when world is built and more testing done I would not be surprised if they scratch certain skills or add skills to my of the classes to balance then the best they can.
    • 624 posts
    November 9, 2019 10:02 AM PST

So true SoWplz - can't hardly balance anything until that king of classes, the foolishly fun bard, is in play.  Then just make all the others less and bards more.  Simple.

[*runs away as the rotten tomatoes start flying*]

This post was edited by Kumu at November 9, 2019 10:25 AM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 9, 2019 11:34 AM PST

Kumu said:

So true SoWplz - can't hardly balance anything until that king of classes, the foolishly fun bard, is in play.  Then just make all the others less and bards more.  Simple.

[*runs away as the rotten tomatoes start flying*]

i'm going to need you to make an atheletics check.

oh you already did.

as you are running, a rotten tomato flies str8 at the back of your head.  you instinctively tilt your head as the tomato pelts a necromancer watching the situation unfold.

oddly enough he doesn't direct his anger at the wizard, but he glares at you with menace and starts to chase you down in all your musical splendour.

• 379 posts
    November 11, 2019 10:18 AM PST
    The class information we have is the same from when they released class reveals, as well as the streams that were done last year. The only real update is that the Ranger was being reworked because the old in/out playstyle was lackluster.
    • 139 posts
    November 11, 2019 10:30 AM PST

Good on the ranger rework. In/out didn't seem right. 

• 1785 posts
    November 11, 2019 10:48 AM PST

I might be projecting a little bit here, but I think that VR is looking at the following as they firm up class designs in preparation for alpha/beta:

1) Does the class feel like it has a unique role to play in combat?

2) Is the class fun to play?

3) Does the class provide opportunities for players to get better at playing it over time, so that there's some challenge and skill involved?

X) Is the class balanced with others in terms of damage output, mitigation, utility, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that as we get closer to beta, balancing will become a much bigger priority for the team.  But right now, given that we're not even to Alpha and most of the game's envisioned content is yet to be created, I think they're still trying to zero in on those first three things, and balancing is really a secondary priority.

• 3 posts
    November 11, 2019 11:14 AM PST

Yea I expect a decent amount of design changes as we approach alpha status. I'm glad to hear Ranger is getting a rework. I always imagine the Ranger as more of a ranged focused physical direct damage dealer, similar to Wizard on the magical damage side of things.

• 1247 posts
    November 11, 2019 11:26 AM PST

Etheom said:

Yea I expect a decent amount of design changes as we approach alpha status. I'm glad to hear Ranger is getting a rework. I always imagine the Ranger as more of a ranged focused physical direct damage dealer, similar to Wizard on the magical damage side of things.

Yes, and myself and others didn’t think that big bear and panther (that came out of no where to aid the Ranger for a few seconds) looked good. We saw it in the streams and it looked funny/odd. Now, if VR were to rework this feature into a spirit bear and spirit panther that would make much more sense for the bear and panther only appearing for a short duration to aid the ranger before poofing. It would also look better. 

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

• 2756 posts
    November 11, 2019 2:15 PM PST

Syrif said:

Etheom said:

Yes, and myself and others didn’t think that big bear and panther (that came out of no where to aid the Ranger for a few seconds) looked good. We saw it in the streams and it looked funny/odd. Now, if VR were to rework this feature into a spirit bear and spirit panther that would make much more sense for the bear and panther only appearing for a short duration to aid the ranger before poofing. It would also look better. 

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

Hehe, yeah those were weird effects.  A ghostly-looking magical spirit creature fading in and out would look much better and feel more immersive, less jarring.  I kept thinking those creatures were wandering creatures attacking the group.

• 1247 posts
    November 11, 2019 2:39 PM PST

disposalist said:

Syrif said:

Etheom said:

Hehe, yeah those were weird effects.  A ghostly-looking magical spirit creature fading in and out would look much better and feel more immersive, less jarring.  I kept thinking those creatures were wandering creatures attacking the group.

Yeah lol.