Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Food vs races

• 520 posts
    November 5, 2019 2:17 PM PST

Since we are apparently discussing food today from many angles, here is another. VR seems to have a lore-friendly reason behind their solutions (class vs race compatibility, more recently race passives), so how and why Gnomes would consume meals? They are built from arcane energy, do they even have stomachs? And wouldn't it be more efficient for them to just meditate and absorb the energy that they need for sustaining their lives from the environment? That would, however, gimp them in a major way if they couldn't get buffs from food like other races. Do Archai eat anything resembling the food that we all love  - meat, veggies and more meat? Or perhaps something entirely different? Do Myrs eat fish or do they perceive it as a form of cannibalism and are a vegetarian race? Shouldn't dwarves have hardened stomachs from eating all these shrooms - poisonous for other races, but extremally nutritious for them?

• 2756 posts
    November 5, 2019 2:24 PM PST

Good thought, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict there will be a perfectly good and lore-based way that Gnomes can consume food/drink/potions/etc just like other races do ;^)

*But* it would be good and interesting if some consumables had differing effects across the races.

Maybe Myrs get enhanced bonuses from fish-based consumables as they are possibly used to metabolising them?  (I doubt Myr look upon fish as 'kin' any more than humans look upon rats as kin).

Stuff like that would be cool, yeah.

• 316 posts
    November 5, 2019 2:51 PM PST

I'd be fine with a fast-casting spell available to all Gnomes that turns all the food in their inventory into consumable energy. They could even stack it more efficiently. Just a quick acknowledgement of Gnomes' nature. 

I'd love to see little differences across races and classes like that - like maybe Ogres build up aggression and need to duel someone once a month or they lose control and attack a guard. Plenty of warning. Those little differences are fun =]

• 1247 posts
    November 6, 2019 2:39 AM PST

Good ideas Alexander! These are changes to food that actually make sense rather than food just being a stupid stat buff like WoW.

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

This post was edited by Syrif at November 8, 2019 6:53 PM PST
    • 768 posts
    November 6, 2019 2:59 AM PST

Have a read on https://www.pantheoncrafters.com/threads/crafters-roundtable-cultural-cuisine.279/#post-3485

Racial differences can be present that relate to what each race prefers to eat, gets the most benefits from, how they eat, how long it's duration is, where the "food-preparing components" originate from.

• 1019 posts
    November 6, 2019 7:25 AM PST

I like that idea of different races having a different palette.  Dark Myr eat raw fish eye's as a delecacy, but if an Elf tried to eat that, they'd get sick.

This post was edited by Kittik at November 6, 2019 7:26 AM PST
    • 1247 posts
    November 6, 2019 11:00 AM PST

Cool thoughts Kittik! I like that too. Food should have depth and need, not just ‘buffs galore.’ I‘d rather food/water needed to be equipped than a stupid stat buff like Mainstream. 

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

This post was edited by Syrif at November 8, 2019 6:54 PM PST
    • 2752 posts
    November 6, 2019 11:10 AM PST

If anything it would be interesting to break up there being one of two dominant food/drink items at high level that crafters just make crazy profit from and farm easily. They would instead need to account for the market of food for each of the 9 races, from two dominant foods to 18+. 

• 416 posts
    November 6, 2019 12:13 PM PST

Kittik said:

I like that idea of different races having a different palette.  Dark Myr eat raw fish eye's as a delecacy, but if an Elf tried to eat that, they'd get sick.

Race and/or class restrictions on certain foods is an interesting idea.

• 81 posts
    November 8, 2019 2:56 PM PST

My response to the other post about food....

KatoKhan said:

As with most of my suggestions,  I would suggest options.   Some suggestions....

1.  A food and a Drink slot that passively eats/drinks whatever is in the slot after a period of time and prevents bad things like damage taken and possibly even death from starvation/thirst.

2.  Foods give temporary buffs when eaten and drank.  Buffs could scale with quality/level of the consumable and duration could be based on ingredients or whatever.

3.  Gourmet skill that could be levelled by eating a variety of foods and drinks.

4.  Food and drink as trade craft to gain currency, faction, favor or whatever else

5.  Food and drink could be used in spellcasting, rituals, runemaking or whatever

6.  Food and drink that has to be used manually every so often as an anti macroing thing

7. A food and drink mini game that could reward anything deemed appropriate

and as always some combo or variance of any or all of the above

And I love the idea of different results for different races of food and drink.  could incorporate well with most the above suggestions.  And could even be a hidden thing with some randomness too.  Like certain chars could have allergies to certain ingredients that could result in something so menial as a reduction in buffs or as major as death from touching it.  And on the opposite end certain things could be considered a characters "absolute favorite" and could be as menial as a small increase in buffs or as major as puts the character in a state of bliss with its own rewards.  Could be fun trying to figure yours out.