Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Project1999 Green server this Friday

• 844 posts
    October 23, 2019 9:54 AM PDT

New Project1999 Green PVE server launching Friday the 25th Oct.

• 947 posts
    October 23, 2019 10:51 AM PDT

I'll be there starting on the 28th - I will probably main a Troll SHD.

• 416 posts
    October 23, 2019 11:41 AM PDT

Very excited myself. We have a group of 4 who will be playing around 9pm pst most evenings starting in Qeynos with a goal of exploring, not leveling quickly. We would be delighted to have others join us.

• 1 posts
    October 23, 2019 12:33 PM PDT

I'm looking forward to experiencing some of the OG EQ. Will be a refreshing warm-up for when Pantheon finally gets going. I'll see you guys on Green!

So pumped to see this game evolve before our eyes though. I think it will tap into those EQ struggles/conquests while bringing a whole new modern element to the game.

• 20 posts
    October 23, 2019 2:39 PM PDT

Going to give it a shot as well.  Going to play casually, but if a Pantheon guild gets going it would be cool to have a like minded group of individuals playing together :)

• 844 posts
    October 23, 2019 5:58 PM PDT

Kunark isn't planned to be added until over a year. Wonder how many will last.

• 20 posts
    October 23, 2019 6:58 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

Kunark isn't planned to be added until over a year. Wonder how many will last.

Well the original "blue" p99 Server has been going for 10 years, with a very active population.  Something to do for a good chunk of time while waiting for Pantheon :)

• 1019 posts
    October 25, 2019 5:15 AM PDT

Gonna log in when I get home from work.  Around 4pm EST if anyone wants to group.  Probably looking to make a Shaman or Shadowknight.  

• 384 posts
    October 25, 2019 6:49 AM PDT

Not sure if I'm gonna play yet but if anyone starts a Pantheon guild please post here. At the least character name would be good. :)

• 624 posts
    October 27, 2019 8:16 AM PDT

I fired it up, not sure how long I will last, but had fun even though it was packed Friday night. Server was absolutely stable, just too few mobs as they lasted only seconds after spawning. The nostalgia is great, and right now there are good folk with which to group. Interestingly, there also seem to be several new people that are playing EQ for the first time. Lots of /ooc complaining about slow pace, no LFG tool, no map or compass...and of course...falling off Kelethin!

I will be on some nights (not all) and not before 1900 Eastern.  Kumu the bard, currently in Greater Faydark. Happy to group, hook you up with tailored armor etc. 

This post was edited by Kumu at October 27, 2019 8:55 AM PDT
    • 316 posts
    October 27, 2019 11:56 PM PDT

Is it following the patch progression? Are certain races and hybrid classes given an xp penalty?

• 624 posts
    October 28, 2019 4:40 AM PDT

Yes, it will follow original patch progression, and classic rules are in place (including exp penalties). The client is the Titanium version, so the GUI is more advanced than classic, but still limited. Spawn times have been reduced to lessen the impact of overcrowding.

You can learn more on their website.

This post was edited by Kumu at October 28, 2019 4:51 AM PDT
    • 844 posts
    October 28, 2019 11:43 AM PDT

Alexander said:

Is it following the patch progression? Are certain races and hybrid classes given an xp penalty?

It is and you even have to look at a book when you meditate, as well as click on the meditate button.

Kunark is not expected for over a year.

• 624 posts
    October 28, 2019 4:59 PM PDT

Zewtastic said you even have to look at a book when you meditate

But this is not the original 1999 client, where 50% of the screen was blocked by fixed frames, and the book then filled that up (making you blind while meditating).  The Titanium client allows you to see about while the book is open (you can move the window off to the side out of your way, and even if it is in the middle there is room around it).  You can also make multiple chat windows with filter controls - not like the original at all.

The mobs/loot are very 1999 though. So folk in /OOC were discussing music / TV shows / Politics from that era. Cracked me up!

• 844 posts
    October 29, 2019 7:37 AM PDT

Kumu said:

Zewtastic said you even have to look at a book when you meditate

But this is not the original 1999 client, where 50% of the screen was blocked by fixed frames, and the book then filled that up (making you blind while meditating).  The Titanium client allows you to see about while the book is open (you can move the window off to the side out of your way, and even if it is in the middle there is room around it).  You can also make multiple chat windows with filter controls - not like the original at all.

The mobs/loot are very 1999 though. So folk in /OOC were discussing music / TV shows / Politics from that era. Cracked me up!

Yeah the UI's available are not like original at all.

And maybe not just seeing that book while you med isn't all that bad.

I forgot they are using a client that was not original.

• 384 posts
    October 29, 2019 3:21 PM PDT

I've only played a little bit but the time I have has been surprisingly fun. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised, it is EQ after all but I was a little afraid starting again would have lost some of its appeal.   It's hasn't lol. Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm playing a class and race that's new to me but it's been fun and I'm looking forward to playing more. Anyone who might be on the fence, I would recommend giving it a shot. 

• 624 posts
    November 9, 2019 10:19 AM PST

QUICK UPDATE: two weeks in and I am still having a blast.  They stood up a second server (called this one TEAL instead of the original GREEN - I was hoping for CHARTREUS, but no luck). That helped reduce the crazy over-crowding.  The plan is to merge the two back together when/if the population evaporates to reasonable levels.

I didn't know if I would enjoy it this much - and I suspect I may still drop out at some point, but playing a few hours at a time, a couple nights a week so far and I am loving it.  Of course I rapidly got Kumu the bard up to 5th level for selos - and then spent an hour locating corpses and shuttling folk from A-to-B. But the "been there, done that" (20 years ago to level 50, left before Velious) set in and I mostly have my minstrel shelved.  Started a bunch of alts - wizzie, shammie, druid (all classes I never played in EQ at any time from Beta 3 through to leaving the game). Then I started a warrior.  That's right, the most group and gear dependent class. Everyone said - don't do it, be a Pally or SK, but I thought to myself - what would 1AD7 do (grins)?

Having a ton of fun with my dwarven warrior. Got into some great groups, tanked, pulled, entertained (you can't remove the bard entirely), encouraged folk that have never played EQ, laughed at silly gaffs we all have made (yes, I even fell out of the Kelethin tree once!), cheered when folk pulled off a miracle and we survived a near death challenge. Some of it is the nostalgia, certainly, but I really appreciate the slower pace (even with a MAD puller making the healers sweat deep in a dungeon). At my advanced gaming age - the time to goof off with a group of family / friends / or even strangers and just chill while tackling the dangers of Norrath is priceless. There are some twitchy moments in the heat of battle, but there is quality get-to-know-your-groupmates time as well.  By the way, this has all been text based - no voice coms to date (I am not against them, but I wanted to start "old school" - and I no longer have Roger Wilco or ICQ!).

I do hope Pantheon presents with a similar feel. I would play (and PAY! for) that experience for a long time.

P.S. I stuck to GREEN server, so if you see Kumu the Bard or Axxen the Warrior about - feel free to whistle.  Happy to group, assist you in your quest, or just joke about life, the universe, and everything. Mostly evenings 7 or 8 until 11PM Eastern (US, not Eastern Kilsin time - do I look like a dropbear?). 

This post was edited by Kumu at November 9, 2019 10:36 AM PST
    • 1247 posts
    November 9, 2019 11:18 AM PST

Wonderful! ^^ While I admit I don’t P99 (and won’t), it’s awesome to hear Classic EQ is still kicking everything‘s ass. :)

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

• 844 posts
    November 9, 2019 11:49 AM PST

Thanks for the update Kumu. I had seen streams for Teal, but was not sure what it meant. Thanks for clarification.

• 384 posts
    November 9, 2019 2:11 PM PST

Have to agree, Kumu. I'm still playing as well and having a great time. I did make the move over to Teal and don't regret it at all. The population is good but not overcrowded. Still only level 6 (Troll SK exp penalty is for real lol) and planning on finally leaving the relative comfort of Nek Forest soon. I made the run from the Swamp over to Neriak when I was but a wee troll and it was a fun and only a little harrowing heheh. Looking forward to not having to squeeze myself through the city at some point, silly tiny dark elves... If anyone else is on Teal and needs a tank to bash fir yous, you call Bogsnot and Bogsnot come.