Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

New Website - will the forums also be updated?

• 77 posts
    October 10, 2019 12:09 PM PDT

VR have said they are launching a new website, I'm not sure what the extent of the changes will include but I'm curious if anyone knows whether the forums will be updated?

I'm playing a game called Grim Dawn (Crate Entertainment) and they recently migrated to new forums that are really nice to use.  You can search for posts really easily.  Track your forum activity in a variety of ways, you can "heart" other people's posts, and there are just a ton of user-friendly features that are really intuitive and nice to use.

I don't spend a lot of time on any forums but I would like to spend more time on the Pantheon Forum and I'm hoping we can get a nice interface like what Crate is using on Grim Dawn.  

A nice forum would be a good hang-out spot while we are waiting on the game to launch.  After the game launches I'll be too busy pwning to visit much....

• 1785 posts
    October 10, 2019 12:13 PM PDT

I think they are planning to role out new forums along with the new website, whenever it's ready.

• 793 posts
    October 10, 2019 12:46 PM PDT

They have said there is all new website and forums coming, but then again, they have been saying that pretty much the entire time I have been here. :) I keep wondering if these are the new ones and I just didn't notice. ;)

• 3852 posts
    October 10, 2019 1:31 PM PDT

When I first pleged I saw the information about a new website and asked whether this was the old one or the new one. It was the old one. It still is the old one. 

I am more content than most of you - if the new one has all the bells and whistles you hope for it may take half of my remaining life expectancy to figure it out. By now this one I *know*. Warts and all.

• 1921 posts
    October 10, 2019 6:14 PM PDT

They'll never give a date (especially now, post Oct 4), but given history, it's not going to happen this year.
    Speaking as someone that does this kind of data translation as part of my actual job?  There is no schema, database, script, custom processing, or any other thing that is so complex, it can't be migrated from one platform to another.
    If it's stored in a computer-readable format, it can be translated into another format.  Especially text and selections from a list. (which is all this is) 
    If it's in a database, it can be exported and/or transferred and/or imported.  If there are authentication, authorization, or any other related issues?  They can all be handled. 
    The attempt to say " It's really hard " is not a valid reason, it's just a false excuse.

At this point?  In the past 4.5 years since they claimed new forums were coming?  It would have been possible to manually convert all <25k accounts, using no parsing, scripting, SQL, or automation of any kind.
    I mean, worst case?  In the absolute most nightmare scenario of all terrible things that could ever come to pass?  You force everyone to reset their passwords, and move all accounts to a new system, whatever system you'd care to implement, and completely abandon the old one.  They could have done that, 4.5 years ago, and simply archived the old forums and marked them read only.
    I mean.. there's not even any game data.  It's just a bunch of forum profiles with less than 50 custom fields per user.  This is the kind of work a volunteer does in a weekend.
    The billing/subscription data?  Trivial.
    I'd better stop, I'm just getting frustrated at the ridiculousness of it.

tl;dr It's beyond absurd that it's taken this long.  smh.

• 1399 posts
    October 10, 2019 7:17 PM PDT

vjek said:

Agree, 

I like to go fanboi about this and convince myself the new Forum's are active and in use by invite only to Pre-Alpha testers. 

There all playing "dark web" on us and s#!t

• 223 posts
    October 12, 2019 9:32 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

vjek said:

Agree, 

I like to go fanboi about this and convince myself the new Forum's are active and in use by invite only to Pre-Alpha testers. 

There all playing "dark web" on us and s#!t

hahaha! this cracked me up :)

• 31 posts
    October 12, 2019 10:27 AM PDT

Well VR did hire a full stack web developer Mary Conley.  However according to her Linkedin Profile she no longer works for VR and was with them for 7 months.  So hopefully she made one during that time?  If not who knows when this will ever happen.

• 238 posts
    October 13, 2019 9:27 AM PDT

This question was asked a couple of months ago, however, I can't find the forum thread for it. 

However, Kilsin made an official statement saying that the VR team was aware of the issues with the forums and that they had let this area slip so to speak. I think he also mentioned something about a new website being launched and that the forums would see an overhaul to make them easier to navigate during Alpha. 

• 1281 posts
    October 13, 2019 2:08 PM PDT

My understanding of what happened was, almost two years ago they started working on new forums. The result of that project turned in to just be kept as the PA forums, which are different than these. Eventually these forums will be archived. We'll need to re-create our user accounts on the new forums which may or may not be merged or be alongside the PA forums.

There is also a new website in the works at some stage or another, but that won't be ready for a while. I suspect it would launch alongside PF because there will be a big media/marketing push at that time. PF will be considered "ship ready" and can be marketed as "this is what the final game will look like". So, the new website and probably another big round of streaming and fund raising will be done at that time.

• 768 posts
    October 13, 2019 11:31 PM PDT

A new website and forum is on its way. When that would happen, is not set in stone. 

To my understanding, they will swipe the forums clean and it might even be required to re-register again.

I agree with Bigdogchris, there is mention of PF being related to the launch of the reworked website or/and forums.

Inbound some day or other. Just hang in there. 

• 1281 posts
    October 14, 2019 10:10 AM PDT

Jazhara said:

Well VR did hire a full stack web developer Mary Conley.  However according to her Linkedin Profile she no longer works for VR and was with them for 7 months.  So hopefully she made one during that time?  If not who knows when this will ever happen.

Just a couple of months ago they had a stream with Cohh that had someone in it, I forget her name, that said she was a "full stack web developer" for VR.  I would presume that she replaced Mary.  I forget her name, however.  I could look it up when I get home from work.

This post was edited by Kalok at October 14, 2019 10:10 AM PDT
    • 520 posts
    October 15, 2019 3:17 AM PDT

As mentioned above there will be new forum - i'd assume it will be released either when alfa or beta starts...

• 216 posts
    October 15, 2019 4:21 AM PDT

Kalok said:

Jazhara said:

Just a couple of months ago they had a stream with Cohh that had someone in it, I forget her name, that said she was a "full stack web developer" for VR.  I would presume that she replaced Mary.  I forget her name, however.  I could look it up when I get home from work.

That was Mary Conley in the stream, im suprised to hear she is no longer with VR.

• 23 posts
    October 15, 2019 6:26 AM PDT

Kalok said:

Jazhara said:

Mary Conley was introduced in cohh stream back on Apr 25, 2019. This is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbcrIWk8B4&t=210 ; she was introduced at 3:30.

Im sure VR is working on a plan B or they have it worked out allready for her replacement.

This post was edited by Whitewood at October 15, 2019 6:34 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    October 15, 2019 7:26 AM PDT

Alot of people working at VR seem to have multiple jobs, for example, their main AI engineer is also a dentist.  Maybe Mary hasn't left.  She's just working multiple jobs.

Tyler Stokes, one of their QA guys, seems to be working multiple jobs as well.

This post was edited by Kalok at October 15, 2019 7:27 AM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    October 15, 2019 7:47 AM PDT

As previously discussed here, this particular developer is no longer with VR, according to their CV.

• 9115 posts
    October 15, 2019 4:16 PM PDT

It was our plan to upgrade the forums with the new website, it is still something we very much wish to do and had started work on but unfortunately, that particular dev has departed.

We don't want to tease you guys or drag out any expectations with "soon" or "it's coming" etc. as we have been promising them for quite some time and had a bad run of luck with hurdles and people power to complete them so please know that we are wanting to upgrade them as soon as possible and when that becomes an option for us, we will move forward with it.

• 1399 posts
    October 15, 2019 5:49 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

It was our plan to upgrade the forums with the new website, it is still something we very much wish to do and had started work on but unfortunately, that particular dev has departed.

We don't want to tease you guys or drag out any expectations with "soon" or "it's coming" etc. as we have been promising them for quite some time and had a bad run of luck with hurdles and people power to complete them so please know that we are wanting to upgrade them as soon as possible and when that becomes an option for us, we will move forward with it.

This was Obviously "Kilsin Code" for Dark Web

• 9115 posts
    October 15, 2019 6:17 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Kilsin said:

This was Obviously "Kilsin Code" for Dark Web

Hahaha, damn you got me! :P

• 77 posts
    October 15, 2019 9:59 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Thanks for the post.  I'll be looking forward to the new forums then whenever that becomes viable.   

• 13 posts
    October 24, 2019 7:31 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

If you need a volunteer to upgrade your forums, shoot me a message. 17+ year's in IT, primarily supporting web farms/datacenters (high traffic, 60-70M visitors per month, 9B hits in a 12 hour period high water mark) I do most everything from SA work to DBA to Web dev. I'd be happy to trade some of my time/skills for...oh I don't know...gosh nothing comes to my mind right away...but I'm sure I could think of something that would be interesting to me ;-)

• 1019 posts
    October 25, 2019 5:46 AM PDT

Whats the issue?  Whats wrong with these forums and this website?

• 200 posts
    October 25, 2019 7:58 AM PDT

Kittik said:

Whats the issue?  Whats wrong with these forums and this website?

a lot of outdated info on the website.

• 612 posts
    October 28, 2019 5:09 AM PDT

Kittik said: What's wrong with these forums and this website?

WarkNight said: a lot of outdated info on the website.

Um... this exchange is like if somebody said "I need a new car" and another person asks "What's wrong with your car?" and the response was "The Driver is old!".

The correct response should be "Because the car is slow, clunky and I really want a fancy new one with all the bells and whistles."

The need for a new forums has nothing to do with the content (ie: info) contained in it.

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at October 28, 2019 5:09 AM PDT