Forums » General Guild Discussion

How do you think joining a guild should work?

• 1413 posts
    October 2, 2019 11:19 AM PDT

This might seem like a super obvious question but as I've been doing guild things in several games this week, I've realized that it's actually more important than I gave it credit for.  A lot of games make getting someone into your guild a little harder than it probably needs to be, but sometimes there are some nice options as well.

So, I thought I would throw out some questions for discussion:

1) Should it be a requirement that someone must be online in order to be invited to a guild, or should you be able to send them an invite while they're offline, and they get it when they log in?

2) Should inviting someone to a guild be a one-stage process (you invite, they accept, and they're in), or should it be a two-stage process where someone can sponsor them to join the guild, they say yes/no, and then you as a leader or officer can choose whether to let them in or not?

3) Should the game have a listing of guilds that are recruiting so that people can search through guilds and apply to join yours, all within the game?

4) Should you (as the leader) be able to allow your guild members to sponsor others, or to auto-join other characters on their accounts?

Anyway, just thought that I'd throw these out there and see what folks think.

• 235 posts
    October 2, 2019 12:43 PM PDT

Nephele said:

This might seem like a super obvious question but as I've been doing guild things in several games this week, I've realized that it's actually more important than I gave it credit for.  A lot of games make getting someone into your guild a little harder than it probably needs to be, but sometimes there are some nice options as well.

1) Should it be a requirement that someone must be online in order to be invited to a guild, or should you be able to send them an invite while they're offline, and they get it when they log in?

2) Should inviting someone to a guild be a one-stage process (you invite, they accept, and they're in), or should it be a two-stage process where someone can sponsor them to join the guild, they say yes/no, and then you as a leader or officer can choose whether to let them in or not?

3) Should the game have a listing of guilds that are recruiting so that people can search through guilds and apply to join yours, all within the game?

4) Should you (as the leader) be able to allow your guild members to sponsor others, or to auto-join other characters on their accounts?

Anyway, just thought that I'd throw these out there and see what folks think.

For me, this is almost like a federal vs state issue. Guild rules, invitations, acceptance, etc. should be the responsibility of the guild, not the game. Presumably, a guild is a collection of like-minded indviduals, so, in the end, what they say is what matters for them. The game allowing for guilds is one thing, but I don't believe the game should regulate their inner workings (other than possibly size).

• 1413 posts
    October 2, 2019 6:17 PM PDT

Percipiens said:

For me, this is almost like a federal vs state issue. Guild rules, invitations, acceptance, etc. should be the responsibility of the guild, not the game. Presumably, a guild is a collection of like-minded indviduals, so, in the end, what they say is what matters for them. The game allowing for guilds is one thing, but I don't believe the game should regulate their inner workings (other than possibly size).

I appreciate the philosophy, but my questions were practical.  Not philosophical.  The game MUST provide a framework of some type for us to work within.  What options and capabilities should that framework provide?

• 1690 posts
    October 3, 2019 8:10 AM PDT

Nephele said:

The last thing I want to see are guild invite spam flooding my chat windows so the process of joining a guild should begin with the applicant and it should be initiated outside of game, say on the forums or other official website.  Then, once that applicant is in-game, a guild officer can then invite them directly.

Taking a step back, the creation of a guild should require GM approval, a process which, again, should be initiated on the official website. Then, once the person is in-game a GM can then activet the guild. 

The guild system will need to have robust controls such that the guild leader can set roles, permissions, etc for pretty much every activity they want.  I look to the role system in the EVE Online corporations as something to emulate, though this does require the existance of a guild bank for some of those roles.

This post was edited by Vandraad at October 3, 2019 8:11 AM PDT
    • 1172 posts
    October 3, 2019 8:35 AM PDT

1) either is fine to me, it's a client side filter anyway (in 99% of MMO's now)
    2) one stage, provided the guild-role-ability to send invites can be restricted to exactly one person, if desired (guild recruiter, officers, leader)
    3) sure, I can see where people would use that.  Optional, though, in the grand scheme of things.
    4) optional sponsor, not a fan of account auto-join.  If reputation actually matters, the last thing I want is Jerkface McAsshat auto-joining my guild because he's an alt. :)

I do like the idea of having guild applications, processes, and chat being tied to an official site, so people can apply & participate when offline (at work/school), but it's already handled via 3rd party guild sites/forums these days.

• 235 posts
    October 3, 2019 1:45 PM PDT

Alright, I'll try again since I missed the mark the first time.

Nephele said:

The biggest potential issue with this that I see is guilds collecting names/accounts and spamming unguilded players after they log off in an effort to just mass recruit. If offline invitations are a possibility, I'd like the option to opt out of them to avert that potential spam.

Nephele said:

I think either of these is fine. It shouldn't be very hard to add the code here. I'd even add a third where people could solicit guilds, then go to a blind invitation or a group to sponsor to member type of system.

Nephele said:

If you're talking about just having the framework for this, I'd say yes. I'm sure most guilds would appreciate the exposure, but there are going to be some who won't necessarily want it. Some guilds will have all the members they want just by reputation. Some might want to stay small by virtue of word of mouth within a network of real life friends. If this listing is implemented, there should be an option for the leader and/or officers to opt in or out.

Nephele said:

4) Should you (as the leader) be able to allow your guild members to sponsor others, or to auto-join other characters on their accord?

Personally, I wouldn't go for the auto-join thing by default, but others might want it. Having the option isn't a bad thing, but there should be permissions that can be set by the leader to enable or disable them. If you have officers or recruiters you trust to invite members that are certain to fit in, go for it.

• 4 posts
    October 4, 2019 2:07 PM PDT

I think joining a guild should be a relatively peaceful process as long as the applicant is willing to consumate the membership.

• 252 posts
    October 16, 2019 4:03 AM PDT

1) Both are fine, though due to point 2 I'd rather lean toward ANYTIME (including offline)
    2) Two stages - everyone should be able to send invite (or at least those appointed by guild leader), but only guild leader (and maybe second in command/officers) should be able to make the final decision
    3) Good idea. But possibly instead of this feature be available at any time, we could check Guild Recruitment info in towns near guild registrar
    4) Optional

• 217 posts
    October 16, 2019 2:43 PM PDT

1.  A guild leade/officer should be able to invite a person while off line.

2.  See above. A one step process is fine if that's how a guild wants to recruit that way.

3.  Yes definitel.  I am very "pro more things should be in game".  The more I can

accomplish in game the better I like it. Also,  I would like to visit the VR site only, as a

means of getting necessary in game info.  I'd rather not need to visit Terminusmaps.

4. A guild should set up its own guild guidelines.  It would make sense to me to let members recommend "player X" to the guild and the guild leader/officer recruit player X.