Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Left-handed characters, shall we ?

• 129 posts
    July 30, 2019 3:17 AM PDT

I've always wanted to make a left-handed character in the MMOs i've played, yet NONE had this option... will pantheon deliver ?

• 1404 posts
    July 30, 2019 4:59 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    July 30, 2019 7:31 AM PDT

Maybe they will have this option only for evil races?

((reference to one of the science fiction classics - Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula LeGuin).

• 1281 posts
    July 31, 2019 12:41 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

See this thread named Southpaw

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/10739/southpaw

Pretty sure I debunked that image as "guaranteed" left handed characters. Is it possible, sure, but it's also possible the photo was mirrored.

• 1404 posts
    July 31, 2019 9:59 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Zorkon said:

Pretty sure I debunked that image as "guaranteed" left handed characters. Is it possible, sure, but it's also possible the photo was mirrored.

Image?  I posted a link to the thread, not the image.

If you read the thread there you will also find another link to a Unity forums where they give some detailed instructions where it's an actual feature built into Unity. It does however remain to be seen if VR will or has implemented it.

Lol, mirror an image and call it "debunked" that's cute!

This post was edited by Zorkon at July 31, 2019 10:00 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    August 1, 2019 8:21 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

bigdogchris said:

Zorkon said:

If you read the thread there you will also find another link to a Unity forums where they give some detailed instructions where it's an actual feature built into Unity. It does however remain to be seen if VR will or has implemented it.

The only thing I claim to debunk is that a photo of a "left handed character" is proof they will have it in the game. Nice try though.

I personally think it would be cool if it can be done without huge memory impacts like loading 2x animations.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at August 1, 2019 8:23 AM PDT
    • 1404 posts
    August 1, 2019 9:17 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Zorkon said:

bigdogchris said:

Zorkon said:

The only thing I claim to debunk is that a photo of a "left handed character" is proof they will have it in the game. Nice try though.

I personally think it would be cool if it can be done without huge memory impacts like loading 2x animations.

And what does your amazing image debunking skills have to do with my posting a link to the thread? So relevant that you felt the need to quote my post to bring it up.

And yes, I'm mocking your "debunking skills" of mirroring an image. Because everybody and there brother knows that, I think it's taught in 3rd grade these days. I felt your original post was a waste of space, but then you felt the need to brag such foolishness, I had to call you on it. Nice try though!

This post was edited by Zorkon at August 1, 2019 2:18 PM PDT
    • 53 posts
    November 11, 2019 3:25 PM PST

Not left handed :)

This post was edited by DraqAttack at November 11, 2019 3:25 PM PST
    • 346 posts
    November 11, 2019 9:56 PM PST

As someone who's left handed, I'd be all for it. It's typically an issue for me in the rare times I play FPS games as it feels off from how I normally shoot outside of video games.

• 2419 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:38 AM PST

One could assume that to have every race offer both right and left handed options would double the amount of animation work needed unless both primary and secondary weapon attack animations are identical which I don't think is something we'll see.  Are there other games where both attacks from either hand have the exact same animation, just mirrored?

• 1315 posts
    November 12, 2019 8:45 AM PST

Creating a mirrored animation of an animation I have already created is a simple click and rendering again.  Data storage wise its an extra file but manpower wise it is virtually free.

• 1404 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:06 AM PST

As I posted near the end of the "southpaw" thread I linked near the top of this thread

It appears Unity supports annimation mirroring with a simple switch. It shouldn't require a whole new animation.

Disclaimer:

I haven't actually used Unity, simply did a little research and found switch hitting is supported by Unity. The Devs would have to enable the feature and give us a toggle, and there is likely a lot more to deal with, hit boxes ect. 

• 1404 posts
    November 12, 2019 9:50 AM PST

"Do they plan for Pantheon to support Left and Right handed characters?"

Would be a good Burning Question I would think.

• 2419 posts
    November 12, 2019 11:04 AM PST

Trasak said:

Creating a mirrored animation of an animation I have already created is a simple click and rendering again.  Data storage wise its an extra file but manpower wise it is virtually free.

Then I hope they go for it if that ends up being the case.  It doesn't hurt anyone having primary/secondary hands switched.

• 316 posts
    November 12, 2019 11:15 AM PST

Guild: Left-Handed Red Heads

A bandit syndicate

This post was edited by Alexander at November 12, 2019 12:09 PM PST
    • 2041 posts
    November 12, 2019 4:52 PM PST

Alexander said:

A bandit syndicate

The elite group of the best thieves in that guild:

The League of Sinister Rogues

(Sinister means "left handed" in Latin)

This post was edited by Jothany at November 12, 2019 4:56 PM PST
    • 1247 posts
    November 12, 2019 6:07 PM PST

Alexander said:

A bandit syndicate

Lol! Yesss, left-handed chars. I’ve waited so long for left-handed chars. Hopefully VR will implement this :)

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels

This post was edited by Syrif at November 12, 2019 6:10 PM PST
    • 1247 posts
    November 13, 2019 7:27 AM PST

Zorkon said:

"Do they plan for Pantheon to support Left and Right handed characters?"

Would be a good Burning Question I would think.

Aye, good question!