Forums » Pantheon Classes

Meditating with Book full-screen

• 9 posts
    May 23, 2019 7:37 AM PDT

Back in EQ1 you had to look at your spell book to meditate.  It evolved into just sitting.  

I would like to see multiple tiers of meditation for casters.  Those needing to regain a lot of mana quickly would need to focus on meditating, and that requires no distractions. 

Bring up the book fullscreen, or perhaps toggling on an ability that hazes your vision and hearing could be options.  Obviously this would reduce all defensive abilities to zero while in this state/trance.  

• 6 posts
    June 9, 2019 5:01 PM PDT

I actually missed this back in the day. As a melee main (normally warrior or Shadowknight), I used to actively keep a look out for the mages as we had our down time. In a way, it forced group communication as well as a need to be aware of your suroundings. If I remember correctly, mages and healers could eventually meditate without being nose deep in their tomes at 35. It would be cool to have that old school natural group synergy again.

• 316 posts
    June 11, 2019 2:12 AM PDT
    I agree, and Voss brings up a perfect example of really fun, emergent team gameplay that resulted from that system.
  • November 8, 2019 12:14 PM PST
    I'll say it was memorable, but never ever was it fun at the time for me.
    • 1860 posts
    November 8, 2019 3:52 PM PST

This is one of the things that I'm happy we have moved away from.  Staring at your book wasn't fun.  Been there done that.  As much as there are systems that I think shouldn't be changed, this is not one of them.  

This is the kind of thing that I am confident VR won't even consider.

This post was edited by philo at November 8, 2019 3:54 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    November 8, 2019 5:49 PM PST

philo said:

This is one of the things that I'm happy we have moved away from.  Staring at your book wasn't fun.  Been there done that.  As much as there are systems that I think shouldn't be changed, this is not one of them.  

This is the kind of thing that I am confident VR won't even consider.

In an interview not too long ago (http://countdowntoclassic.libsyn.com/episode-114-celebrity-countdown-madseason-on-wow-classic-brad-mcquaid-on-mmos-pantheon-athalus-on-wow-radio-sneakyb4rd-on-quests), Brad himself said that was one of the dumbest game design decisions he's ever made. So I wouldn't be expecting it to make a comeback lol. 

• 1860 posts
    November 8, 2019 6:10 PM PST

Ya, that is a given. 

This post was edited by philo at November 8, 2019 6:11 PM PST
    • 520 posts
    November 12, 2019 2:32 AM PST

I've never been a fan of being forced to look at the book etc, but the idea of tiers of meditation ain't  bad at all, the only problem is how to implement it "the right way". Eg. 1st tier of medding would be simply sitting, 2nd tier would require some consumable item that helps you concentrate (shrooms!), 3rd tier would drasticly increase your hate generation while medding in addition etc