Forums » The Enchanter

Convert items to money

• 45 posts
    May 23, 2019 6:59 AM PDT

I would like to see a spell where the Enchanter can transmute items into money.  I assume this could be done in 2 ways.  Items are placed on the ground and the spell is a ground-targeted-area-effect (GTAE) spell.  Or Items are placed into a bag or cauldron (summoned by a Summoner) and the spell is directed at the bag/cauldron.  

Either way, the items are converted into money based on the level of the spell and the charisma of the caster.  Possibly faction can be part of the equation.  

The money is then either automatically split among the group or given entirely to the caster.  If there was a bag or cauldron, they are not consumed and the money is left inside the bag/cauldron to be split.  

The second effect of this spell, if a player is targeted, their coin is automatically converted to the highest tier (same effects as seeing a banker).  

If the caster is targeted, then it is a Point Blank Area Effect (PBAE) spell, effecting everyone around the caster.  

The first part of the spell is to help adventureres the abilty to keep going without having to return to town to sell.

The second part of the spell is to help adventurers the ability to keep going without having to return to town to convert coin at a banker.  Assuming coin has weight. 

• 467 posts
    May 23, 2019 7:56 AM PDT

Breaking down items into money sounds, to me, like breaking down items into something of value. I understand the stated purpose but the mechanic (if we call it that) sounds, to me, like a profession.

At any rate, it doesn't feel as enchanting as it does alchemical.

• 277 posts
    May 24, 2019 8:54 AM PDT

I honestly didn't like that in EQ you pretty much had to be an enchanter to do jewelry crafting. I'd rather not see any combat class have a bonus to any crafting ability. 

I think a better idea could be that if you are, say a blacksmith or something, you could "salvage" gear down to a lighter component so that it can be sold later.

• 214 posts
    May 24, 2019 7:31 PM PDT

That sounds somewhat similar to the craft skill of salvaging, which VR has said will be available to crafters. Except it seems much more powerful the way you suggest implementing it. So I wonder if it would be good to give such a useful, money-making skill to only one class. I think it would be fairer to let any class be able to salvage -- which accoding to what VR has said so far (not a lot of details revealed yet that I know of) will allow one to use a crafting station to break down items into useful raw materials for use by a crafter. If VR wanted to allow such a way to stay 'in the field' longer, adjusting salvaging to work for everyone, without a crafting station, and making the materials produced be significantly lighter than the loot they came from would do the trick.

Another consideration though is that in many interviews as well as conversations in the various streams, they have often said that they are committed to making cities and towns be very attractive places for players to visit and hang out. To avoid the empty, dead towns that many other games wind up with as they get older. So my guess is that an ability to reduce how often one needs to go to town would be considered counter to what they say they are trying to accomplish. But nobody knows for sure, and things do change.