Forums » Crafting

Builder

    • 235 posts
    April 4, 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    The thread on mounts and crafters got me thinking about this. What do you think about a builder profession? This would be someone who took lots of parts and combined them to get something larger and more functional. As an example, the barn mentioned in the thread on mounts. You'd need posts, walls, roof, possibly pen areas (fences inside to separate animals), doors, windows - all of these could be wood, stone, metal, some leather and cloth - the builder would take certain prefabricated parts (from other trades) and have the ability to lay out and assemble them. I realize this is a bit of a hot button with those here to don't wany any hands changing the environment at all that don't belong to developers, but something like this might be fun and functional if it were restricted to a set design and art code. What do you all think? What would you do differently?

    • 1528 posts
    April 4, 2019 3:44 PM PDT

    It's a definite possibility, although I think it would probably be best added whenever housing is added (which, the team has told us would probably be post-launch).  At the same time though, I could see them spreading things out throughout the existing crafting professions as well.

    It really depends on how integrated housing is with other gameplay systems.  If it's kind of its own thing and doesn't really touch other stuff much, then I'm not sure people would want to devote their crafting profession solely to housing.  On the other hand, if housing is integrated into a lot of other types of gameplay, then it would be more attractive to players.

    • 235 posts
    April 5, 2019 6:59 AM PDT

    That's the thing, though. It wouldn't have to be restricted to just housing. It could be barns, stables, even certain unique parts of the outposts Aradune was talking about. Maybe having the builder profession would give you more or better options for your outpost that you wouldn't otherwise have. Or, it could even be more specialized. If housing is generic or 'pick from one of these 3 templates,' maybe the builder could make unique features or accessory areas, like gardens, courtyards or possibly bridges that would cross a small body of water (a stream or such) on the players' land.

    • 1023 posts
    April 5, 2019 7:14 AM PDT

    For some reason I was thinking that Fletching/Bowyer was one half of the wood working and Carpenter was the second half. I personally would put most of your structure assembly tasks under the carpenter but it would rely heavily on nearly finished products from nearly all the other professions.

    I do like the idea of being able to customize our buildings though, like it a lot.

    • 1528 posts
    April 5, 2019 7:22 AM PDT

    Percipiens said:

    That's the thing, though. It wouldn't have to be restricted to just housing. It could be barns, stables, even certain unique parts of the outposts Aradune was talking about. Maybe having the builder profession would give you more or better options for your outpost that you wouldn't otherwise have. Or, it could even be more specialized. If housing is generic or 'pick from one of these 3 templates,' maybe the builder could make unique features or accessory areas, like gardens, courtyards or possibly bridges that would cross a small body of water (a stream or such) on the players' land.

    Ohhh, I see where you're going now.  Sorry about that.  I tend to think of everything you desctribed (even outposts) as being "part" of the housing system.  But that is me projecting somewhat - because I want in-world housing where you can do something like set up a farm or ranch on your housing plot, and where player settlements might have public buildings such as gardens and stables :)

    However, I could see this being useful for NPC towns and structures as well (especially in conjunction with the idea I described here).  So I think it could work either way, as long as there is enough there for do.

    • 235 posts
    April 5, 2019 7:53 AM PDT

    Nephele said:

     

    Ohhh, I see where you're going now.  Sorry about that.  I tend to think of everything you desctribed (even outposts) as being "part" of the housing system.  But that is me projecting somewhat - because I want in-world housing where you can do something like set up a farm or ranch on your housing plot, and where player settlements might have public buildings such as gardens and stables :)

    However, I could see this being useful for NPC towns and structures as well (especially in conjunction with the idea I described here).  So I think it could work either way, as long as there is enough there for do.

    Yes, like I said, open world housing (and other player created structures), land and such is a pretty sensitive issue with some, and I understand that. Not sure how it would be implemented and don't want to get back into that discussion, but a trade like this would be really, really fun if it happened. I would give folks options for customizing their little spot in the world, but it would need to be restricted artistically by the devs. I even think it would be cool (for certain areas, with limits) if small towns emerged from a dense enough population of players.

    Trasak said:

    I personally would put most of your structure assembly tasks under the carpenter but it would rely heavily on nearly finished products from nearly all the other professions.

    I do like the idea of being able to customize our buildings though, like it a lot.

    A lot would come from the carpenter, assuming wood is the basic building block for things. However, I can see other things that wouldn't - stone arches, iron doors, thatch roofs, stone walls or fences - it could be a very long list.