Forums » Crafting and Gathering

“Crafting and the Community” w/ Orrinn

• 259 posts
    March 26, 2019 9:59 AM PDT

The series “Crafting and the Community” starts this week with community member Orrinn. A huge thank you to Orrinn for taking the time to answer these few questions for me. Be sure to check out Orrinn’s Gaming Channels here:

On Twitch & YouTube

Remember to check back each week as we spotlight a different community member.

1) Do you enjoy crafting or are you more of the adventuring type?

- I do enjoy crafting when it's done well - when it has depth, is fun to do, and (most importantly) has a real impact on the world. With that said, I haven't found many games that do this well, so I craft far less than my regular groupmates.

2) What was your first experience with crafting in an MMORPG?

- My first experience with crafting in an MMORPG was in Star Wars Galaxies. The crafting in that game still blows me away to this day! Of all the games out there, I think I respect Galaxies crafting the most.

3) Do you have a favorite type of crafting and if so why?

- My favorite type of crafting is, as I said, the Galaxies style of crafting. That system permeated the world. I loved surveying for resources, and harvesters were a cool idea. I also loved the crafting process of finding the right materials with the stats you wanted, experimenting, and coming out with a unique product.

I also had a lot of fun with the Vanguard crafting for the short time I got to play that game - their take on it was fun and felt pretty unique.

***If you're actually asking something like which crafting do I prefer, such as mining, blacksmithing, etc, I tend to gravitate toward alchemy or something like engineering; I like making things that will help me and my team in a pinch.

4) Are you excited with development of the crafting and harvesting skills?

- I'm very excited about the crafting and harvesting skills in Pantheon. My wife is our main crafter in the group and I had to read every detail to her. We're both itching to see how it all plays out!

P.S. She wants me to add that she wants customizable housing, with player-made furnishings possible through professions. =)

5) And lastly, how important of a role do you feel crafting should play in Pantheon?

- I think crafting in Pantheon should be integral to every aspect of the game. I'd like to see it be the driving force in the economy, not just a backseat feature tacked on to keep some people busy. I think it should be a normal part of character progression (even if you yourself don't craft), should support the social/non-combat areas of play, as well as a fun and viable way for someone to spend their game session.

It needs to be balanced in a way that crafting is optional, because it's not everyone's cup of tea, but the economy structure needs to be strong enough that crafters are able to sell highly wanted/needed items to adventurers that don't want to spend their time crafting. In that way, it provides sustainability for different types of players.