Forums » Crafting and Gathering

The Mis-Adventures of Shyin and Ellos

• 259 posts
    March 5, 2019 10:27 AM PST

I am playing and crafting on the Project 1999 Classic EverQuest Server as I await the opening of Alpha for Pantheon. Feel free to follow along as I level up my characters and my tradeskills. Hopefully we will have more information soon on Crafting and Harvesting in Pantheon.

Chapter One:

As a follower of Tunare – The Mother of All, Followers of Tunare will fight to the death to protect nature in all its forms. As a Wood Elf Ranger, and a High Elf Magician it is our duty to follow this tenant. But what do you do when your craft conflicts with this? As a Tailor I need many, many items that come from nature, from beasts mostly, along with some foraged items. Harming or taking the lives of the animals of Tunare is in direct conflict.

So, what is a follower to do?

Well we kill them of course, because we need the items they possess. HaHa :)

I do buy items from other players whenever possible, but mostly it is in farming the animals myself that I get most of my tradeskill items.

I have played my Mage as I wanted an idea of how they played compared to my old Necro from original EQ. I also wanted an idea of the Mage class for Pantheon. Pet classes are probably my favorite class to play. And they are possibly the best class for farming tradeskill items.

I play my Ranger because I also like the Melee class and on P99 the Wood Elf Ranger has a considerably easier time with tailoring due to their class specific tradeskill that fill’s a big gap in Tailoring skill point’s on P99.

Young Tailors start out collecting silks and pelts. These are used in creation of cloth and leather-based armor along with items needed for the creation of class specific armor later in the life of other crafters.

As you can see below, I have collected, and purchased from other players, many spider silks which I have combined into swatches to create cloth armor. Skilling up is time consuming but quite fun at the same time.

I really enjoy the idea of gathering needed materials and beginning my crafting as soon as I start to level my character. As a crafter I feel that it gives me a purpose to level up on certain mob’s because they drop needed materials or can be harvested for needed materials. For me it helps to break the monotony of level grinding.

Question for the week is this:

Do you feel that Crafting and Harvesting should start as soon as you create your character at level one?

• 768 posts
    March 5, 2019 9:30 PM PST

It depends if there is a tutorial before you enter your hometown. A well scripted tutorial could offer you enough insights, so that once you hit the mainland, you know what your options are and how to get started. This could relate to how far Pantheon will be going with handholding.

When characters immediately start of at their hometown, perhaps navigation, general movement, interface options and place in the world are more of a priority? I'ld see crafting following soon after, so it would not take you 5 levels before you encounter content relating to crafting. 

Harvesting for my part, is a good option to put in from level 1. Since it can combine those first skills needed to manoeuvre and interact with the world without going too indept already with consequences and storytelling.

• 259 posts
    March 5, 2019 11:02 PM PST

@Brian999 - Tutorial

I would prefer no tutorial at all.

I remember that first time logging into EverQuest in 1999 and having no clue where I was or what I was supposed to be doing, what a thrill that was.

Having to explore Felwithe and learn your way around. Trying hard to find your guild hall so you could turn in your recruitment letter and get started playing the game. Next was trying to find your way out of Felwithe to the hunting grounds. Having to ask many questions to other players who were willing to help you out. Then to get outside and die many times to bats and little orcs while trying to get experience. and how about getting lost that first time and having no clue how to get back to where you started.

Oh, the excitement of exploration and adventuring. Hopefully we will get to relive that again at the release of Pantheon!

@Brian999 - Crafting

I agree that perhaps navigation, general movement, interface options and things of that nature should absolutely be part of the initial experience. But I also feel that crafting if you choose that path should also be a part of the initial experience.

@Brian999 - Harvesting

I agree that harvesting if you choose that path should also be a part of the initial experience.

• 168 posts
    March 6, 2019 2:06 PM PST

To answer the question, yes it should. A good crafting system will not be a push button/win and should not take an AH (materials access) and /played of 10 hours to max. It should take /played 30 days to max <6 months or more>. Knowing that it will take a long time, I cannot think of any legitimate reason to postpone the learning of a craft for higher levels.

As an aside, I do believe in the crafting vid by Bazgrim that it was mentioned that a level 1 could max out a craft.

• 259 posts
    March 6, 2019 3:23 PM PST

@Dashed - Question

I agree that crafting system should start at level 1 and it should take a good amount of time and effort to max out. I would like it to be complex and robust enough to keep us wanting to raise our crafting and harvesting along with exploration and adventuring.

@Dashed - Aside

I remember a few times that question was asked and I believe you are correct about spending your entire game time as a crafter and not an adventurer. I also remember it being said that it will continue to get more difficult as you progress to the higher levels in getting recipes and items needed but possible.