Forums » Crafting and Gathering

“What We Know” So Far Crafting

• 259 posts
    February 19, 2019 7:02 AM PST

As the series has come to a close, I have compiled the Crafting section into an easy reference page.

This is “What We Know” so far about Crafting from the official Pantheon Wiki:

Crafting

Pantheon’s Crafting and harvesting in this internal pre-alpha is currently a very simple system. With it we can combine two or more items in a container to return a new item. Combinations use a skill associated with the materials, such as Blacksmithing for metals, Alchemy for potions, Tailoring for cloth, and so forth. It is functional, but we feel it lacks impact and depth.

As far as what professions are concerned, we’re considering the following as our professions:

Alchemist

Blacksmith

Outfitter

Provisioner

Scribe

Stonemason

Woodworker

Each profession will have a specialization, or option for focus within that profession. Players will be limited to one profession, and one associated specialization.

Alchemist: -Focus on Toxins, -Focus on Elixers

Blacksmith: Weaponsmith-Focus on Weapons, Armorsmith-Focus on Armor

Outfitter: Tailor-, Leatherworker-

Provisioner: Brewer-, Chef-

Scribe: Researcher-Focus mainly on Spells, Engraver-Tablets and Runes

Stonemason: Jeweler-, Sculptor-

Woodworker: Bowyer-Focus on Ranged, Carver-Wands/Staves

* Some cartography may added. (Possible, but not confirmed).

** Possible inclusion of counterfeit currency. (Rumoured, not confirmed).

Updated 18-August-2017

Overview of Crafting

A major goal of the Crafting system is to provide players with a means to gear up through the power of choice. Dropped and quested items come with set stats but crafted items can be customized. The offset to this power of choice is that crafting will require effort to gather the necessary materials for particular results, whereas dropped items are a (potentially) simpler matter of killing the requisite NPCs to get your gear.

For example if Gereon wants a Silvered Longsword. He plans to be fighting wererats in the City Underneath in a few days with his guildmates so he has two choices:

Find humanoid NPCs that also have a beef with Lycanthropes, beat them up, and take their stuff.

Find a crafter that has a Silvered Longsword recipe and gather the needed materials (hypothetically speaking, this could be a) acquire an unmodified Longsword, b) acquire silver ingots, and c) acquire a tempering agent).

In this scenario, perhaps Gereon doesn’t have easy access to NPCs that drop Silvered weapons. He has been killing the wrong city’s guards so it is safer and faster for him to find a player to help him out. Crafting gives players like Gereon alternate avenues to acquire those items they need while serving a dual purpose: socializing between players through Economy, and giving players avenues to some solo content (the Crafter or Harvester).

Crafted Improvements

Crafting will also allow us the opportunity to further improve almost any items to be better suited to specific situations.

For example:

Gereon has acquired his Silvered Longsword:

as a Dropped item, and it’s awesome for cutting up wererats.

as a Crafted item, and it’s awesome for cutting up wererats.

The trouble is that his Silvered Longsword isn’t so great against the other vermin or the slimes inhabiting the particular area of the Waterworks near the wererat lair. Gereon really wants to have an edge fighting at least one of the two additional types of enemies in the Waterworks that he knows of. He could:

Find another dropped weapon that is good against slimes, vermin, or both–requiring time, luck, and effort to find the right combination of materials or stats. This has the added “cost” of requiring more of his bag space for gear.

Find a crafter with a Bane enchantment against vermin or slimes to upgrade his Silvered Longsword.

Find a crafter with a recipe to re-forge the Longsword with a new Material that is better suited to fighting against slimes or vermin.

Just try his luck and tough it out with his Silvered Longsword and hope for the best.

Depending on Gereon’s playstyle, it may be more beneficial to farm the desired item or to farm materials to have the desired item crafted.

Customizing Items

Additionally, crafting needs to compliment the other areas of gameplay. One big way that crafting will figure into this is most of the items that come from quests, NPC loot, or crafting can be further upgraded. Doing this requires “customizing” the item(s) to the recipient, unlocking additional stats at the cost of causing the item to be bound to that player.

“What We Know” The Alchemist

So, what do we know about the Alchemist? Not a whole lot I’m afraid, but we do have a basic idea from the information that we do have. The alchemist will be a tradeskill that allows the player to create poisons and potions in bottle or vial form that can be used cause damage to an enemy, or to enhance some aspect of the players character.

The Alchemist will have two specializations available to them later as skills increase.

They can choose to make Poisons

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of Toxins. These could possibly come in the form of a throwable glass vial that will explode on contact and produce a poison cloud that will affect all enemies in a certain radius. Maybe you will be able to produce a type of poison that you can use to coat your weapons or arrowheads with that will apply a damage over time effect on your target.

Or they can choose to make Potions

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of Elixirs. These could possibly be a bottle that holds different effects such as a healing potion for one. You drink this potion and you can heal yourself for a certain amount of hit points. Maybe these will come with a potion in them that allow you increase your different resistances that will be needed in the different areas of the game world.

“What We Know” The Blacksmith

So, what do we know about the Blacksmith? Not a whole lot I’m afraid, but we do have a basic idea from the information that we do have. The blacksmith will be a tradeskill that allows the player to create different types armor and different types of weapons for use by player characters.

The Blacksmith will have two specializations available to them later as their skills increase.

They can choose to become an Armorsmith:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of different types of armor. No official information about the types of armor that will be available to us at this time. I am hoping for at least chainmail and plate armor types to be craftable by the armorsmith. That would cover a good percentage of the front-line characters.

Or they can choose to become a Weaponsmith:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of different types of weapons. No official information about the types of weapons that will be available to us at this time. I am hoping for most if not all the different weapon types to be craftable by the weaponsmiths. This would cover most characters in the game.

“What We Know” The Outfitter

So, what do we know about the Outfitter? Not a whole lot I’m afraid, but we do have a basic idea from the information that we do have. The Outfitter will be a tradeskill that allows the player to create gear which will be useable by the cloth and leather wearing classes in Pantheon.

The Outfitter will have two specializations available to them later as skills increase.

They can choose to become a Tailor:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of tailored items and clothing. These could possibly consist of tailored slot items such as Robe’s for the cloth wearing classes.

Or they can choose to become a Leatherworker:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of leather items and clothing. These could possibly consist of leather created slot items, such as Breastplate’s for use by the leather wearing classes.

Traditionally one of these specializations can create bag’s and backpacks that are useable by all classes, to include weight reduction.

“What We Know” The Provisioner

So, what do we know about the Provisioner? Not a whole lot I’m afraid, but we do have a basic idea from the information that we do have. The Provisioner will be a tradeskill that allows the player to create drinks and food for players in Pantheon.

The Provisioner will have two specializations available to them later as skills increase.

They can choose to become a Brewer:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of different types of drinks. These could possibly consist of regular needed drinks for survival in the game. A brewer can usually create alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks as well.

Or they can choose to become a Chef:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of different types of food. These could possibly consist of regular needed food for survival in the game. Maybe baking will be included under the chef tradeskill.

Traditionally these specializations can create certain stat enhancing drinks and food. Sometimes all that is needed is to have the item in your inventory to receive the effect. Perhaps the item will need to be consumed to receive the effect. We’ll have to wait and see if any of this will be implemented.

“What We Know” The Scribe

So, what do we know about the Scribe? Not a whole lot I’m afraid, but we do have a basic idea from the information that we do have. The Scribe will be a tradeskill that allows the player to create spells, tablets and runes for players in Pantheon.

The Scribe will have two specializations available to them later as skills increase.

They can choose to become a Researcher:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of different types of spells. These spells could possibly consist of our class spells. Maybe these spells will be something we need for certain areas in the game. It is possible that this specialization may also cover cartography, if this is included in the game. [as of Aug-2017]

Or they can choose to become an Engraver:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of different types of Tablets and Runes. These could possibly consist of items regularly needed for spell research such as in EverQuest. Maybe these will be needed to enchant armor or weapons. While little more than speculation at this point, it is rumored that should counterfeit currency be included, it would come within the auspices of this specialization. [as of Aug-2017]

“What We Know” The Stonemason

So, what do we know about the Stonemason? Not a whole lot I’m afraid, but we do have a basic idea from the information that we do have. The Stonemason will be a tradeskill that allows the player to create jewelry and sculpting’s for players in Pantheon.

The Stonemason will have two specializations available to them later as skills increase.

They can choose to become a Jeweler:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of different types of jewelry I assume. This specialization will probably be able to create standard and special types of rings and earrings. Maybe these items could consist of different types of keys? Maybe we will need gems for use in certain areas in the game world.

Or they can choose to become a Sculptor:

The sculptor may be able to make molds, possibly even crazy rare enchanted molds for a blacksmith to make an armor section, or a weapon blade or head. The Sculptor will be a consumable type profession, a feeder profession making items for many other professions.

Their finished items will be something like relics and sigils, things that tie into the multicolored mana accumulation system perhaps. Possibly even augmenting family lines and abilities.

Know” The Woodworker

So, what do we know about the Woodworker? Not a whole lot I’m afraid, but we do have a basic idea from the information that we do have. The Woodworker will be a tradeskill that allows the player to create ranged and close combat types of weapons for other players in Pantheon.

The Woodworker will have two specializations available to them later as skills increase.

They can choose to become a Bowyer:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of ranged combat weapons and the ammunition’s they need. This specialization will probably be able to create standard and special types of bows and ammunition. Maybe these items could consist of different types of stat bonus weapons? Maybe ammunition with certain types of dmg bonuses.

Or they can choose to become a Carver:

This specialization focuses on the study and creation of staves, wands and such items. These could possibly consist of one and two hand blunt weapons. Maybe these will be useable by the non-melee castor types of players. Could this specialization possibly be able to create boat and housing types of items later in the game?

As the game moves along in development we will learn more specifics about the different tradeskills that will be available to us. So, hang in there and as soon as we know more, you will know more.

This post was edited by Shyin at February 24, 2019 10:35 AM PST
    • 41 posts
    February 19, 2019 5:17 PM PST

I hope cartography is not added, I would prefer to just take notes and sketch my own maps.  

I am guessing the sculptor will be like a potter in making bowls and dishes for provisioners, vials and flasks for alchemists, in addition to idols and such.

What is the conterfiet currency? What would that be used for?

• 259 posts
    February 19, 2019 7:22 PM PST

I wish I knew what the currency was for, just speculation at the moment.

We will find out in time.

• 2886 posts
    February 24, 2019 8:57 AM PST

Great summary, Shyin! You know how much I love organized info, and this does a great job of that. Quite underrated imo.

I do have a little bit more info on the Sculptor though. I know you've seen this video a few times before lol, but just as a reminder, here is where he elaborates on the Sculptor: https://youtu.be/y3qG-RdZBD8?t=370

This was almost exactly a year ago, so take it with a grain of salt. But it's likely still relevant and the best we have for now. As you suggested, they basically make glass vials, moulds, etc. that can be used as ingredients in other professions' recipes. But they also could make relics, idols, etc. that may tie into the colored mana system.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at February 24, 2019 9:08 AM PST
    • 259 posts
    February 24, 2019 10:37 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

Great summary, Shyin! You know how much I love organized info, and this does a great job of that. Quite underrated imo.

I do have a little bit more info on the Sculptor though. I know you've seen this video a few times before lol, but just as a reminder, here is where he elaborates on the Sculptor: https://youtu.be/y3qG-RdZBD8?t=370

This was almost exactly a year ago, so take it with a grain of salt. But it's likely still relevant and the best we have for now. As you suggested, they basically make glass vials, moulds, etc. that can be used as ingredients in other professions' recipes. But they also could make relics, idols, etc. that may tie into the colored mana system.

Thanks Baz, I really appreciate the support.

I somehow missed that section of the video. I have taking the information and updated my website and the reference page.

I am just doing my small part to help support the development of Pantheon and the crafters that are looking forward to a new crafting system.

This post was edited by Shyin at February 24, 2019 10:41 AM PST